Papa Ginos

Canal Rod - Did i make a mistake?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

I had two 1322-2's start to delaminate on me......one was replaced by RT....the other by Lami….no questions asked.....one could readily see what the problem was.

 

Still stayed with the 1322-2.

Joe normally that is how it is handled, but in the case of Bob he bought a rod that was sold by lami glass as a second to the local lami distributor who assured lami that no one would be making any rods from it in its original size. He in turned sold the whole blanks to one shop who also in turn sold some to another shop. Both shops found out about the same time that the rod tip has a flaw in it after numorous rods had been built with it. No fault of lami , perhaps in selling the blank to the local distributor who pulled a fast one. Which ever shop he had it custom made should have been responsible to replace it and from what bob is saying they never did that. I would have never gone back to have another custom rod made at that shop who in my opinion really should have taken some recourse once all of the fact came out on these blanks got out in the first place . This breakage was not on lami , but of the process that allowed this to happen and some less then caring folks along the way that saw a way to make a buck and did so at the expense of the customer.

Peace and Prayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bob_G said:

.. 

The rod maker only informed me that cutting the butt voided the warrant after I broke the rods.  Then he turned into a warranty lawyer.

…..

 

Curious...…....who was the rod maker?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe normally that is how it is handled, but in the case of Bob he bought a rod that was sold by lami glass as a second to the local lami distributor who assured lami that no one would be making any rods from it in its original size. ...

 

Carl......in hindsight,  Lami should have destroyed said rods as opposed to selling them with a known defect. .

 

Second mistake was relying on the assurance of a local dealer that the rod would remain intact.

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

Carl......in hindsight,  Lami should have destroyed said rods as opposed to selling them with a known defect. .

 

Second mistake was relying on the assurance of a local dealer that the rod would remain intact.

 

  

Joe I would agree with you. However the local lami rep had assured them that they would cut the defect out and make up a different rod then what it was made for. I still say once every one became aware of the circumstances some one should have made good in some manner from those who bought the rod blanks and not Lami  be continued to be blamed years after it occurred Peace and Prayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe I would agree with you. However the local lami rep had assured them that they would cut the defect out and make up a different rod then what it was made for....

 

And as I said ....Lami should not have relied on that assurance. 

 

Lami was foolish to do so.  Their reputation is all they have.  Their in business to sell a high quality product,  but non the less, they produced a defected product.  Then, to recoup a few bucks,  they  elect to send it to market (mistake #1)….on the assurance from a lami rep ( mistake #2) that a third party would do the right thing.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

And as I said ....Lami should not have relied on that assurance. 

 

Lami was foolish to do so.  Their reputation is all they have.  Their in business to sell a high quality product,  but non the less, they produced a defected product.  Then, to recoup a few bucks,  they  elect to send it to market (mistake #1)….on the assurance from a lami rep ( mistake #2) that a third party would do the right thing.   

 

Joe,

 

I was set up for a fall right from the word go. 

The rod maker knew these roads were dubious and had no warranty.   However, he also knew that by cutting a few inches off the butt, that voided the warranty. 

So when I asked that he shorten the rods,  I gave him a way out.  By not divulging that would void the warranty, when the rod breaks, he (and the pres of Lami) can simply say I voided the warranty myself by cutting the blank.  Thus hiding the fact the blanks were seconds, and had no warranty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

 

I was set up for a fall right from the word go. 

The rod maker knew these roads were dubious and had no warranty.   However, he also knew that by cutting a few inches off the butt, that voided the warranty. 

So when I asked that he shorten the rods,  I gave him a way out.  By not divulging that would void the warranty, when the rod breaks, he (and the pres of Lami) can simply say I voided the warranty myself by cutting the blank.  Thus hiding the fact the blanks were seconds, and had no warranty. 

 

A classic Catch 22, Bob.  I wonder how many others suffered similar fates.

 

In retrospect, the smart thing to have done would have been to destroy the inferior product.  It never should have seen the light of day. Take the hit....$100-200-300 K  whatever.  Instead,  Lami chose to squeeze the buffalo and in doing so, tarnished its reputation..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Joe,

I grew up fishing yellow fiberglass Lamis as a kid. That was all we used. So when they began making graphites, to transition over seemed natural. Now I'll never buy another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would never buy a graphite "blem". I had good luck with the glass ones, even the thinner S-glass blanks, but I saw too many non-blem Lami graphites break to ever trust a blem. And not all of them were Arra blanks--I saw a few GSB graphites break

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a great rod I’m sure: here is humorous undertaking from last year: I own a bunch of good gear st croix, tfo, some nice reels too. Now, I leaned as a kid to catch almost anything other than cod with three rods, two of which were yellow lamiglas (mb842f with penn 710z later a 4400 and sb1213m with a squidder or Newell 229) I wish I still had them, one broke in the bed of a pickup when a tackle box slid, the other disappearing along with the Newell. The  rods were wrapped by me. They worked fine. 


Realizing I was growing soft and spoiled last year, I bought I cheap ugly stick 7ft rod and put my good gear away to try to prove to myself that my skills were not growing rusty. I slapped my beat up daiwa bg15 with some ancient fire line on it . It was not nearly as nice as my 7’ lamiglas. Despite that I managed to bag many bass to keeper size (I used it to cast a 1 pound mackerel which took a 35” bass) sea bass while jigging all of which were swung into the boat, keeper tog, blues, a bunch of little jacks, even weakfish. I proved to myself that I am not using expensive rods as a crutch.  If anything, I fished harder and no longer worried about shattering a st croix, something I have done a few times. The reel seat was junk and broke, but at that point it had so much mojo that I kept using it until broke the tip, which was replaced with a spare someone had lying around from a 6’6” rod. The mismatched sections continued to catch until frontier airlines lost it and few nicer rods on my way to Florida in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 9:03 PM, Papa Ginos said:

Is it really that bad??

 

I will be surfcasting all over the cape this summer so if it works for the canal and can throw the lighter stuff I feel I should be fine.

  Avoid the canal on weekends, especially holiday weekends!  I'll only go down to fish during the week and overnights.  The best is rainy days.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Running Ape said:

It’s a great rod I’m sure: here is humorous undertaking from last year: I own a bunch of good gear st croix, tfo, some nice reels too. Now, I leaned as a kid to catch almost anything other than cod with three rods, two of which were yellow lamiglas (mb842f with penn 710z later a 4400 and sb1213m with a squidder or Newell 229) I wish I still had them, one broke in the bed of a pickup when a tackle box slid, the other disappearing along with the Newell. The  rods were wrapped by me. They worked fine. 


Realizing I was growing soft and spoiled last year, I bought I cheap ugly stick 7ft rod and put my good gear away to try to prove to myself that my skills were not growing rusty. I slapped my beat up daiwa bg15 with some ancient fire line on it . It was not nearly as nice as my 7’ lamiglas. Despite that I managed to bag many bass to keeper size (I used it to cast a 1 pound mackerel which took a 35” bass) sea bass while jigging all of which were swung into the boat, keeper tog, blues, a bunch of little jacks, even weakfish. I proved to myself that I am not using expensive rods as a crutch.  If anything, I fished harder and no longer worried about shattering a st croix, something I have done a few times. The reel seat was junk and broke, but at that point it had so much mojo that I kept using it until broke the tip, which was replaced with a spare someone had lying around from a 6’6” rod. The mismatched sections continued to catch until frontier airlines lost it and few nicer rods on my way to Florida in January.

Cant go wrong with the Ugly Sticks.  I have several I bought for my boat so I don't have to worry about someone breaking one of my nicer rods. I use them too, especially on big blues and they hold up well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.