Papa Ginos

Canal Rod - Did i make a mistake?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I ordered a St Croix Legend 10'6" MH  1-6oz 2 piece, and after doing some more research I hear that this might not be the all-around rod for the canal that I have been looking for?

My goal is to throw lures in that weight range from plugs to jigs especially in the heavier range of that spectrum when necessary in heavy current.

I have freshwater legend rods and love them, but i hear that st croix may be laking in the surf area.

Reading about rods like the ODM jigster has got me second-guessing myself thinking if I should return this one when I get it and go for something like a Jigster.

What are your thoughts SOL?

You should be fine. If you plan on throwing jigs more then 5oz constantly then yes, Jigster is the way to go. If you plan on throwing lighter plugs at 2-3oz and the occasional 5oz jig the Legend will suffice. I had the Legend in the past it's stiffer then I would like, I think St Croix built the blank where it covers a vast scale in lure weights.

Screw the Chinese made ODM jigster. You bought a great American made rod. I have the 1-4oz 10’ Legend and throw 4oz jigs at the canal with no problems. I don’t use this rod often, because I prefer the more moderate Lamiglas, but there is nothing wrong with your choice. 

51 mins ago, Papa Ginos said:

I ordered a St Croix Legend 10'6" MH  1-6oz 2 piece, and after doing some more research I hear that this might not be the all-around rod for the canal that I have been looking for?

My goal is to throw lures in that weight range from plugs to jigs especially in the heavier range of that spectrum when necessary in heavy current.

I have freshwater legend rods and love them, but i hear that st croix may be laking in the surf area.

Reading about rods like the ODM jigster has got me second-guessing myself thinking if I should return this one when I get it and go for something like a Jigster.

Sweet Jesus you have the top of the line rod for the canal, seriously, what are you exactly worried about? 

Best warranty, first class CCC all arounder, made in USA. I think you made the best choice, don't fall for the grass is always greener conundrum.

It's a great rod for the canal, everything from 1oz SP's to 5oz jigs, I've even used it for 4oz lead and soaking bait.  And what is it, 20yr warranty now?  It's a great choice, enjoy and fish the hell out of it.

2 hours ago, Papa Ginos said:

I use a 10’6” legend 1-6 at the canal. It handles 5 no problem, you’ll be good 

I used that rod's cheaper cousin, the 10-6 MH Mojo, for years as an all around Canal rod. For all I know, someone is still using it.

You made a fine choice. Stop worrying and enjoy it.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:35 PM, Papa Ginos said:

Haha thanks for the assurance, I like to worry for fun I guess...

I won't second guess myself anymore :)

I wanted Legends, but wouldn't spend the money. So I opted for Mojo's.

I stuck with my Lamis both glass and graphite never any doubt as to what they can and did do over the years with fish of large size.