bumknee

Name of old restaurant just off Bourne Rotary ?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I'm here on SOL, Bernie---what does that tell you? I'm bored as hell and going stir crazy in self-isolation. :laugh: 

Get a job...….an "essential" one of course......

Our baby is growing up, don't know if you ever met this one...……...

DSC_0611.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

Many years back, I remember Carl and I walking in one morning when the guys were having break feast, and Carl is lugging in a LARGE that was just weighed in at Gary's.

We didn't know if the guys had any luck fishing the early AM tide, but Carl thought not and held up the fish and said...…"this is what striped bass looks like guys" .  No one laughed..

J Powers was seated at the head of the break feast table, Tim S was there, and I can't recall the 4-5 others .  

Edited by Joe G

13 mins ago, b-ware said:

I can remember Penner's, I-Hop, Mezza Luna, and the Whaleback all having fires...…………..

The Bridge in Sagamore, and who can forget to the Topaz in B Bay.  In the early 70s the Gray Gables Inn burned to the ground on a busy evening.

I was fishing right across the canal when the Topaz went up. Those flames were going 75' in the air. When  Gray Gables Inn burned, I was staying with a buddy who lived about 200 yards away.

20 mins ago, b-ware said:

I can remember Penner's, I-Hop, Mezza Luna, and the Whaleback all having fires...…………..

….and all grease fires no doubt.   ;)

20 mins ago, b-ware said:

Way Ho, Grey Gables, Bourne Mill, and the original, the Topaz. 

The owner of the Way Ho was prosecuted for arson, but was found not guilty.

Penner's was the best, though. Someone tampered with the hydrant in front of the restaurant, and BFD had to run hose down to Cohasset Narrows to get water. The owner was in the process of being taken to the cleaners by his wife in a divorce action. The fire marshal declared it arson almost immediately, but the insurance check still cleared, lol. Instead of rebuilding, he bought a food cart and parked it on the empty lot.

The Mezza Luna was strictly accidental--electrical. The place was a gold mine even before the fire. 

7 mins ago, Joe G said:

….and all grease fires no doubt.   ;)

And all happened in the dead of night, after the joints were closed.

Didn't Quintals burn down on the eve of an SOL Breakfast  that was scheduled, place was down the street from Cape Cod Charlies on the other side of the street? Other place that burned was in Bourne, we had an SOL dinner there many years ago, Bassmaster even showed. What was the name of that restaurant?

28 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Didn't Quintals burn down on the eve of an SOL Breakfast  that was scheduled, place was down the street from Cape Cod Charlies on the other side of the street? Other place that burned was in Bourne, we had an SOL dinner there many years ago, Bassmaster even showed. What was the name of that restaurant?

I think you're talking about Leo's. It didn't burn down. The restaurant next door to it, the Mezza Luna, was the one that had the fire. Both are owned by the same family. 

12 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I think you're talking about Leo's. It didn't burn down. The restaurant next door to it, the Mezza Luna, was the one that had the fire. Both are owned by the same family. 

Been awhile since you posted mike. Nice to see you on here again. Always enjoyed your knowledgeable info on things like this. 

8 mins ago, gray gables said:

Good seafood back in the day. Haven’t been there in years. 

It reopened for awhile. I think it's closed again now. We ate there after it reopened. It wasn't as good, and the service was terrible. We didn't go back. :( 

3 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

It reopened for awhile. I think it's closed again now. We ate there after it reopened. It wasn't as good, and the service was terrible. We didn't go back. :( 

Never went after the bypass went in. 

3 hours ago, Joe G said:

Many years back, I remember Carl and I walking in one morning when the guys were having break feast, and Carl is lugging in a LARGE that was just weighed in at Gary's.

We didn't know if the guys had any luck fishing the early AM tide, but Carl thought not and held up the fish and said...…"this is what striped bass looks like guys" .  No one laughed..

J Powers was seated at the head of the break feast table, Tim S was there, and I can't recall the 4-5 others .  

Joe, fond memories from the past about some nice guys at the time enjoyable to talk with. I do not believe that large was  big as the one our friend took a picture of that you are still waiting to see. The waitress did smile as I recall Peace and Prayers

I can still see Mr. Powers in his blue shirt , sunglasses on top of his head munching away at his favorite breakfast of fat:howdy: