jjdbike

Best cut for roast beef?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Thats enough to make ya' faint, perfect, except I pull it at 125. Yesterday, cooked a 2lb eye round, cuz I like it for cheesesteak the next day,  cooked it 350 for 55 mins. and pulled it at 125, it was plenty rare, 115 it must still have hair on it? 

Now, what really impressed me was that I bought a meat slicer last year despite my wifes objections that it would be another dog under the cabinet that we don't need. Anyway, its been sitting for almost a year, so she is right we don't need it, but I was always curious about them so I bought one that was used but never used for a $50 bill.

 

Read a bit on them and didn't pursue using it because it might be a PITA to clean and the reviews said it wasn't powerful enough, so waited for the right moment which was today. Fired up the Chefs Choice 632 Slicer and it worked like a charm, sliced the remainder of the eye round into thin slices without effort and it was neat and easy. Clean-up, less than 5 minutes, very satisfied. Now, the meat was cold from the fridge, next time I'm gonna try with hot RB but it cut through the cold stuff like butta'. The downside is the carriage is a bit small and its perfect for a cold cut or eye round, anything big may need to be halved or quartered before slicing.

 

I know SIM would never go for an electric slicer, he'd use a chain saw or an ax or hatchet before he entertained the idea of a power driven slicer. Prolly' has an old carbon steel carving knife that he sharpens with a stone every time he cuts meat, I just sharpened my knives with a Chefs Choice Knife Sharpener, it scuffs them up a little but they are not an investment and my motive was sharp knives, it it takes some life out of them, so be it. 

 

Sharp as Curtis Sharp, he was a former lottery winner that went broke.:)

I have a chefs choice and an commercial slicer . Do boneless pork loin ,roast beef and turkey breast sliced as thin as possible. Even the fresh mutts.  You can get a serviceable chefs choice for about a $100.

Edited by Irishfire18
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Top round for my first choice then eye round heavy on salt some pepper .Top round has a beefy taste more chew eye round is more tender to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seakarp said:

I'll see your sous vide and raise you one superior cut of beef.

Vce is right, any middling beef roast is awesome done in this manner. The caveat is, it takes a long time, think 24 hrs or so, or more but it gives you an outstanding traditional cut roast. There is another much quicker and totally knock the socks off the family and guests option. A filet mignon roast can sometimes be had for 10 bucks a pound or less and  cooks to temp in around 2 to 3 hrs. Served, already sliced into say 3/4 of an inch medallions and seasoned with say a touch of garlic butter with salt and pepper, on a nice platter it will be the most tender awesome roast beast of all.

I cant touch that challenge:cry:. There is no substation for a superior cut as your mentioned as far as taste goes:drool:. I can get the texture close. But the taste wont come close to what you suggested  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, sbcbmx112 said:

This made me laugh

Me too but the thought of medium well scares me. 

I would cook it to rare and have a sauce pan with Aujus over heat and just drop her slices in there to the medium well that she prefers.

Win Win 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kml said:

Me too but the thought of medium well scares me. 

I would cook it to rare and have a sauce pan with Aujus over heat and just drop her slices in there to the medium well that she prefers.

Win Win 

I used to slice meat at the carving station of a buffet, and this is how we quickly browned up slices for people that wanted it more well done.  Works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 3:21 PM, ribeye said:

You are wrong in so many points. Don't have the time to dissect and elaborate now. But I will. With respect, thanks.

Well, you will have to elaborate, as I triple checked many different sources and they all agreed with what I stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, Highlander1 said:

I know SIM would never go for an electric slicer, he'd use a chain saw or an ax or hatchet before he entertained the idea of a power driven slicer. Prolly' has an old carbon steel carving knife that he sharpens with a stone every time he cuts meat, I just sharpened my knives with a Chefs Choice Knife Sharpener, it scuffs them up a little but they are not an investment and my motive was sharp knives, it it takes some life out of them, so be it. 

Not enough room, and wouldn't be able to justify having it for the amount of use it would get. when I want something sliced that thin, I just take it to the deli at the super and have them do it for me.

 

Short of that, I just, as you said, use a very sharp carving knife and take my time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 7:28 AM, Steve in Mass said:

Well, you will have to elaborate, as I triple checked many different sources and they all agreed with what I stated.

OK. with respect. If I get a call for a 4lb rump roast , it comes from the bottom round. Got the order for two spoon roasts and cut them from a hip, which is also from the rump. They are related and both are attached to the aitchbone. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ribeye said:

OK. with respect. If I get a call for a 4lb rump roast , it comes from the bottom round. Got the order for two spoon roasts and cut them from a hip, which is also from the rump. They are related and both are attached to the aitchbone. Thanks.

Thanks for the input, just trying to learn. :)

 

Is this picture accurate?

 

beef-cuts-1.jpg.c82c90167d3930571c1dfc0443709666.jpg

 

Am am assuming your rump for roast beef and the spoon roasts are coming from where it says "rump" in the picture. And Is that where the top round roasts come from (or sort of on the line between the rump and round)?

 

The bottom round I was speaking of that is used for pot roast and the like would be closer to the shank in the picture. However, some supermarkets will label parts of that as "rump" as well.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Thanks for the input, just trying to learn. :)

 

Is this picture accurate?

 

beef-cuts-1.jpg.c82c90167d3930571c1dfc0443709666.jpg

 

Am am assuming your rump for roast beef and the spoon roasts are coming from where it says "rump" in the picture. And Is that where the top round roasts come from (or sort of on the line between the rump and round)?

 

The bottom round I was speaking of that is used for pot roast and the like would be closer to the shank in the picture. However, some supermarkets will label parts of that as "rump" as well.

 

 

 

 

I hope the pic was a joke. The demarcation zones , both horizontally and vertically are way off , big time. My best advice right now is for you to research USDA cut charts. If you are serious , visit The Meatworks Livestock Institute in Westport Ma. for a walk thru. The knock section is off limits but further processing and smoke room should be open. Call first. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ribeye said:

USDA cut chart

Well, I Googled that, and these choices came up (only a portion of the results that would it on the screen)....and every chart is pretty identical.

 

5ec12c073c901_beefcuts.png.74ad26683baafae9ab2190d31aa2418b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never seen a spoon roast on any cut chart.  Always thought it was a marketing name for top sirloin roast.  Kind of like flat iron for a piece of blade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.