jjdbike

Best cut for roast beef?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

This is gonna sound really basic here & it probably is. I'd like to do a beef roast in the oven, and then make gravy from it. My wife likes her meat done medium well, and I'd like to to moist, tender and flavorful. I have a device that cuts lots of deep, tiny holes to tenderize and allow marine to penetrate and I also have an injector. I'm open for extended marinade.

What cut and technique fo you recomend?

Kind of looking for old school beef and mashed potatoes w/ gravy. 

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

old German Chef gave me this many years ago very simple perfect every time 

Eye Round evenly round in size write down how much it weights 

turn on the oven to 500 degrees  

season your meat , salt pepper 

place your eye round in a pan  

cook 5 minutes per pound 

then turn the oven OFF for 1 hour DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR =Perfect 

in a separate pan season beef shank , neck bones any beef bones not ribs 2 cups of water salt , pepper , beef bullion cube ( 1 )  reduce it to 1/2 thicken it with flour & water , whisk it in season to taste  

you can do your potato & carrots anyway you like 

Edited by Hook I

And I will go in the exact opposite direction. Get a better quality top round roast with a nice at cap. No need to inject or tenderize.

Peel some fresh garlic and cut each clove into slivers. With a small paring knife, make a bunch of slits all over the roast, perhaps an inch apart, and insert a garlic sliver in each one.

Sprinkle the fat cap with salt and garlic powder and place in a 275 degree oven in a roasting pan. I pull mine when the internal reaches about 115, but that may be too rare for your wife (and that is a shame, but). For medium rare, perhaps 125.

Then quickly sear the fat cap, and then let rest while you make the gravy. even when rested, a fair amount of juice will run on the cutting board when you slice it, so save that to add to the gravy.

For me, I make a paste of olive oil, crushed garlic, horseradish and a good amount of salt and coat the roast with that before cooking, the same way I do rib roast. But some may find that too salty.

The idea of the low oven is that you get more even cooking from perimeter to the center of the roast. In a high heat situation, you get an outer ring of very well done meat graduating to rare meat in the center.

9 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

And I will go in the exact opposite direction. Get a better quality top round roast with a nice at cap. No need to inject or tenderize.

Peel some fresh garlic and cut each clove into slivers. With a small paring knife, make a bunch of slits all over the roast, perhaps an inch apart, and insert a garlic sliver in each one.

Sprinkle the fat cap with salt and garlic powder and place in a 275 degree oven in a roasting pan. I pull mine when the internal reaches about 115, but that may be too rare for your wife (and that is a shame, but). For medium rare, perhaps 125.

Then quickly sear the fat cap, and then let rest while you make the gravy. even when rested, a fair amount of juice will run on the cutting board when you slice it, so save that to add to the gravy.

For me, I make a paste of olive oil, crushed garlic, horseradish and a good amount of salt and coat the roast with that before cooking, the same way I do rib roast. But some may find that too salty.

The idea of the low oven is that you get more even cooking from perimeter to the center of the roast. In a high heat situation, you get an outer ring of very well done meat graduating to rare meat in the center.

Thanks. Sounds great

Posted (edited) · Report post

I did a roast beef a couple weeks ago in the smoker. I used a rump roast. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder , Thyme, Rosemary. Pulled out from the smoker at 135 and let it rest for about an hour before I sliced it up. It was incredible.

0426201738.jpg

0426201743.jpg

Edited by chitala383

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

I did a roast beef a couple weeks ago in the smoker. I used a rump roast. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder , Thyme, Rosemary. Pulled out from the smoker at 135 and let it rest for about an hour before I sliced it up. It was incredible.

0426201738.jpg

0426201743.jpg

Looks like good chit there.

4 hours ago, chitala383 said:

0426201738.jpg

0426201743.jpg

TC, this is it. Thanks Chit for your post.

Gotta be careful when buying a 'rump roast" for roast beef. The rump roast comes from the bottom of the round, so it is a bit more tough than top round. While true rump roast can make a very good roast beef, if just plain old bottom round is passed off as rump roast, you will not be happy. Bottom round is best for stews or other braised dishes like pot roast. And is fairly good for smoking. But you would not want to make a traditional oven roast beef from it.

26 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Gotta be careful when buying a 'rump roast" for roast beef. The rump roast comes from the bottom of the round, so it is a bit more tough than top round. While true rump roast can make a very good roast beef, if just plain old bottom round is passed off as rump roast, you will not be happy. Bottom round is best for stews or other braised dishes like pot roast. And is fairly good for smoking. But you would not want to make a traditional oven roast beef from it.

You are wrong in so many points. Don't have the time to dissect and elaborate now. But I will. With respect, thanks.

I have a slicer so I go with rump first it has great flavor then eye round which is a leaner cut.  That first method I’ve used before also.  I take mine out around 120. Teach her to eat it rare. Lol

8 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Thats enough to make ya' faint, perfect, except I pull it at 125. Yesterday, cooked a 2lb eye round, cuz I like it for cheesesteak the next day,  cooked it 350 for 55 mins. and pulled it at 125, it was plenty rare, 115 it must still have hair on it? 

Now, what really impressed me was that I bought a meat slicer last year despite my wifes objections that it would be another dog under the cabinet that we don't need. Anyway, its been sitting for almost a year, so she is right we don't need it, but I was always curious about them so I bought one that was used but never used for a $50 bill.

Read a bit on them and didn't pursue using it because it might be a PITA to clean and the reviews said it wasn't powerful enough, so waited for the right moment which was today. Fired up the Chefs Choice 632 Slicer and it worked like a charm, sliced the remainder of the eye round into thin slices without effort and it was neat and easy. Clean-up, less than 5 minutes, very satisfied. Now, the meat was cold from the fridge, next time I'm gonna try with hot RB but it cut through the cold stuff like butta'. The downside is the carriage is a bit small and its perfect for a cold cut or eye round, anything big may need to be halved or quartered before slicing.

I know SIM would never go for an electric slicer, he'd use a chain saw or an ax or hatchet before he entertained the idea of a power driven slicer. Prolly' has an old carbon steel carving knife that he sharpens with a stone every time he cuts meat, I just sharpened my knives with a Chefs Choice Knife Sharpener, it scuffs them up a little but they are not an investment and my motive was sharp knives, it it takes some life out of them, so be it. 

Sharp as Curtis Sharp, he was a former lottery winner that went broke.:)

9 hours ago, Hook I said:

old German Chef gave me this many years ago very simple perfect every time 

Eye Round evenly round in size write down how much it weights 

turn on the oven to 500 degrees  

season your meat , salt pepper 

place your eye round in a pan  

cook 5 minutes per pound 

then turn the oven OFF for 1 hour DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR =Perfect 

in a separate pan season beef shank , neck bones any beef bones not ribs 2 cups of water salt , pepper , beef bullion cube ( 1 )  reduce it to 1/2 thicken it with flour & water , whisk it in season to taste  

you can do your potato & carrots anyway you like 

Ive been using this method for years - nice seared crust on the outside and moist and tender inside.  

5 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

sous vide. waste extremely tasty & tender 

86390155_10216950727622126_8187769569687896064_n.jpg

I'll see your sous vide and raise you one superior cut of beef.

Vce is right, any middling beef roast is awesome done in this manner. The caveat is, it takes a long time, think 24 hrs or so, or more but it gives you an outstanding traditional cut roast. There is another much quicker and totally knock the socks off the family and guests option. A filet mignon roast can sometimes be had for 10 bucks a pound or less and  cooks to temp in around 2 to 3 hrs. Served, already sliced into say 3/4 of an inch medallions and seasoned with say a touch of garlic butter with salt and pepper, on a nice platter it will be the most tender awesome roast beast of all.