DJSTheFisherMan

Braid or Mono

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have an old Penn Jigmaster 500 from a neighbor that recently passed away. Should I put mono or braid on it, I’ve always sworn by power pro for any kind of inshore spinning but not sure about conventional reels.

10 hours ago, DJSTheFisherMan said:

I have an old Penn Jigmaster 500 from a neighbor that recently passed away. Should I put mono or braid on it, I’ve always sworn by power pro for any kind of inshore spinning but not sure about conventional reels.

It depends on what you are going to use it for. Inshore stripers and blues, go with the cheaper mono. offshore deepwater for cod & haddock use the braid.

Problem with that reel and braid is the the side plates tend to loosen up and then the reel will catch thin braid in the gap and ruin the braid. If you really want to use braid I would go with heavy braid or Dacron.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like to use it for inshore game fish.

Striped bass

Bluefish

Weekfish

Blackfish

30 pound mono is sufficient. You can go with 40.

The drag is only so strong. You might find yourself

thumbing the reel when putting the breaks on a cow bass.

The reel holds a lot of line. I think it takes over 250 yards on an 80 braid.

You might want to put some mono backing possibly 100 to 150

yards of braid and a top shot of mono or wind on leader for rigging.

Food for thought.

I spool mine with a 30 pound Ande mono.

Edited by FriedBeans

Only reason that you might want to go to braid when trolling is that the smaller diameter will allow you to get your lures deeper.  If you're trolling in shallow water, or trolling for bluefish holding just below the surface, mono works fine.  If you need to get deeper, the sort of situation where wire line was traditionally used, braid is the better option (although in that situation, I'd still prefer wire, as it provides better depth control).  But trolling mono when you need to get down in deeper water is a good way to find skunks.  There are ways to make it work, but they're more trouble tha they're worth.  Braid will sort-of get the job done.

Jigmaster is not a braid friendly reel.  Very old design.  Go with mono.  It was my go to bottom fishing and bluefish reel for about 30 years.  Built like a tank.  Easy to clean.