Recruitkim

Anyone catch bluefish?

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, CWitek said:

To be fair to the managers, the extent of the overfishing wasn't recognized before new landings data was added to a stock assessment update last August.  Prior to that, below average recruitment caused some concern, but overfishing couldn't be confirmed.

 

Bluefish is a difficult stock to assess; although fishermen have been complaining about declining abundance for the past couple of years, it took an improvement in the data-gathering process to prove it.

 

 

 

Seems that angler consensus usually gets brushed aside in terms of data collected.  I guess in this instance the confirmed data adds credence to what angles on a regional scale have the ability to accurately establish on their own.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

 

 

 

Seems that angler consensus usually gets brushed aside in terms of data collected.  I guess in this instance the confirmed data adds credence to what angles on a regional scale have the ability to accurately establish on their own.  

 

 

Angler (and commercial) consensus is a difficult thing to quantify, and differs from place to place, and species to species.  I've been to meetings were anglers are fighting against needed regulations, and commercial and for-hire consensus is ofthen that "the fish are doing fine, we don't need any new rules."

 

Typically, striped bass, bluefish and weakfish fishermen tend to support conservation, the folks who chase "meat" species are split, and the commercials and traditional for-hires tend to oppose restrictions.

 

Plus it's also a matter of preception.  I fished during the '60s, '70s and early '80s, so my perception of current bluefish abundance is different from those who didn't start until a few years ago.  Saw the same thing a few years ago when the cod showed up in the winter off Montauk, and everyone was hooting about how great it was.  I saw people freezing for a bunch of little fish, and compare it to the late '60s and '70s when you could do better fishing in your shirtsleeves in August, when the pool fish were typically high 40s/low 50s, not high teens/low 20s--if they got out of the single digits.

 

So consensus is tricky, although it can warn managers that they need to take a closer look, to see if more regulation is needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, CWitek said:

Angler (and commercial) consensus is a difficult thing to quantify, and differs from place to place, and species to species.  I've been to meetings were anglers are fighting against needed regulations, and commercial and for-hire consensus is ofthen that "the fish are doing fine, we don't need any new rules."

 

Typically, striped bass, bluefish and weakfish fishermen tend to support conservation, the folks who chase "meat" species are split, and the commercials and traditional for-hires tend to oppose restrictions.

 

Plus it's also a matter of preception.  I fished during the '60s, '70s and early '80s, so my perception of current bluefish abundance is different from those who didn't start until a few years ago.  Saw the same thing a few years ago when the cod showed up in the winter off Montauk, and everyone was hooting about how great it was.  I saw people freezing for a bunch of little fish, and compare it to the late '60s and '70s when you could do better fishing in your shirtsleeves in August, when the pool fish were typically high 40s/low 50s, not high teens/low 20s--if they got out of the single digits.

 

So consensus is tricky, although it can warn managers that they need to take a closer look, to see if more regulation is needed.

Are you a member on some kind of conservation policy board? Because you'd have my vote!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Recruitkim said:

Are you a member on some kind of conservation policy board? Because you'd have my vote!

I sit on New York's Marine Resources Advisory Council, and on the ASMFC's Winter Flounder and Coastal Sharks advisory panels.

 

Governor Cuomo has also included me on his list of three nominees for New York's obligatory seat on the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council.  The folks at NMFS and the Department of Commerce are making that decision now, and should announce it in a couple of weeks.  I'm not too optimistic, though, because the folks who oppose conservation are also going to oppose my nomination, and they are a loud voice right now.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Assume there is no public vote?   You could have a major following here, happy to vote in your favor

No public vote, although anyone who’s might want to write/email Michael Pentony at the Regional Office in Gloucester, or Chris Oliver at NMFS in Silver Spring, can do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CWitek said:

I sit on New York's Marine Resources Advisory Council, and on the ASMFC's Winter Flounder and Coastal Sharks advisory panels.

 

Governor Cuomo has also included me on his list of three nominees for New York's obligatory seat on the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council.  The folks at NMFS and the Department of Commerce are making that decision now, and should announce it in a couple of weeks.  I'm not too optimistic, though, because the folks who oppose conservation are also going to oppose my nomination, and they are a loud voice right now.,

Thank you for you time and effort trying to protect the resource and sharing your knowledge on this forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tucker 63 said:

Thank you for you time and effort trying to protect the resource and sharing your knowledge on this forum. 

You're welcome.  Glad to do it.  The kids being born today deserve to experience the same sort of fisheries we enjoyed when we were young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.