Recruitkim

Anyone catch bluefish?

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Godsson38 said:

I can’t believe guys are actually searching for blues a few years ago that’s the last thing you wanted to catch

What else is there to do when there’s no bass? Oh wait there’s no blues either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bluefish when they were around in thick years ago people saw them as a nuisance fish when going for the prized trophy sized striped bass a "pickier fish" so even if you caught  a 15 lber people poo pooed it like ah anybody can catchem even though large bluefish fight like hell  and have teeth to chop your line or lure. Now there's less and less of them and since people aren't really catching many trophy sized stripers from the shore just schoolies  Blues are all the rage now. Was pretty funny to see people trying to post the first bluefish of the season like it was an amazing fishing accomplishment lol. Can only keep 3 snappers now lol. Never did I think id see that regulation.Times are a changing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, that would be strange if there are no Bluefish. Is there bait around? Bluefish migrate and I bet they will show up when the bait shows up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cbw5007 said:

Hmm, that would be strange if there are no Bluefish. Is there bait around? Bluefish migrate and I bet they will show up when the bait shows up!

Stock assessment update that came out last year shows that the population has dropped below the biomass threshold and is now overfished.  Recruitment has been off for a number of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cbw5007 said:

Hmm, that would be strange if there are no Bluefish. Is there bait around? Bluefish migrate and I bet they will show up when the bait shows up!

It is very strange Not saying the bluefish are non existent lol saying numbers have been way down at least in my area. and to be able to say that is strange with the amount of them that used to be around.Keep hearing stories of processing boats off the east coast past the 3 mile mark have been slurping them up and processing them on the boat then going back to the country .Has anybody else heard these stories are they just fish stories are are they truthful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fishfinder said:

It is very strange Not saying the bluefish are non existent lol saying numbers have been way down at least in my area. and to be able to say that is strange with the amount of them that used to be around.Keep hearing stories of processing boats off the east coast past the 3 mile mark have been slurping them up and processing them on the boat then going back to the country .Has anybody else heard these stories are they just fish stories are are they truthful?

As I mentioned just above, it's just a matter of recruitment being off since 2010 or so, and overfishing that has been going on since at least 1985 (but not in 2018), that finally drove down abundance.  There's a rebuilding plan being drafted now, and we should see then population begin to respond in a few years.

 

As far as the foreign processing goes, US fisheries jurisdiction extends out 200 miles, so sitting just outside of state waters isn't viable for foreign vessels.  There is no TALF in the bluefish fishery management plan, and no foreign processing just offshore.  This is one of those situations where the simple answer is also the right one:  The population has declined, and so we're seeing and catching fewer fish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, the3fishheads said:

Wait..that's not a bluefish.

Never mind

 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, the3fishheads said:

Wait...that's not a bluefish either.

My bad.

Never mind.

 

You need to start learning how bluefish looks like.

:point:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard the pork chop porgys are picking off schools of bluefish along The belt parkway, just need twelve rods and stale clam from last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, CWitek said:

As I mentioned just above, it's just a matter of recruitment being off since 2010 or so, and overfishing that has been going on since at least 1985 (but not in 2018), that finally drove down abundance.  There's a rebuilding plan being drafted now, and we should see then population begin to respond in a few years.

 

As far as the foreign processing goes, US fisheries jurisdiction extends out 200 miles, so sitting just outside of state waters isn't viable for foreign vessels.  There is no TALF in the bluefish fishery management plan, and no foreign processing just offshore.  This is one of those situations where the simple answer is also the right one:  The population has declined, and so we're seeing and catching fewer fish.

 

Sounds like an absurd way to manage fisheries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, RL Bucktails said:

Sounds like an absurd way to manage fisheries.

To be fair to the managers, the extent of the overfishing wasn't recognized before new landings data was added to a stock assessment update last August.  Prior to that, below average recruitment caused some concern, but overfishing couldn't be confirmed.

 

Bluefish is a difficult stock to assess; although fishermen have been complaining about declining abundance for the past couple of years, it took an improvement in the data-gathering process to prove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.