Recruitkim

Anyone catch bluefish?

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

You're fishing on an overfished stock, so finding them is going to be a little tough.

You remember when they said, it wasn't over-fishing, stock is fine and since they are migratory fish, they are somewhere between here and South Africa

1 min ago, Popasilov said:

You remember when they said, it wasn't over-fishing, stock is fine and since they are migratory fish, they are somewhere between here and South Africa

Some folks definitely did say that...

I have a book on bluefish, there’s a few chapters on migrations and cycles.

however when you see scenes of trash bags full of blues at manasquan, Jones, Shinnecock west.... just because they are “trash fish” you wonder when they will stop coming inshore.

its not a color thing, Ive seen white guys pulling toboggans full of gator blues from poles all the way back to the lot.  

1 hour ago, GarbageFish said:

I have a book on bluefish, there’s a few chapters on migrations and cycles.

however when you see scenes of trash bags full of blues at manasquan, Jones, Shinnecock west.... just because they are “trash fish” you wonder when they will stop coming inshore.

its not a color thing, Ive seen white guys pulling toboggans full of gator blues from poles all the way back to the lot.  

Yeah, I remember being on a charter boat and guys were leaving with burlap sacks filled with bluefish, absolutely disgusting. Hopefully these new regs will stick and we will see an improvement in the coming years.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hear of guys catching them in nj, raritan bay, manasquan river etc. They have been scarce these past few years. I remember when I was a kid we would see multiple bluefish blitz almost daily in the bayshore areas, you could throw a spoon at them and you would hookup almost instantly.  Almost 9 out of 10 times they had so much peanut bunker they were chewing through my fathers boat would be covered in blood and peanut bunker guts. Those days were epic, this is going back almost 20 years ago. Now a days your lucky if you get a bluefish while your fishing for fluke.

Edited by Still_pluggin91911

4 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

To little way to late I say but I would love nothing more for them to make come back .. 

I am afraid you are 150% right

And I am afraid that few years from now, our kids will have a same conversation that we are having now, but this time about Sea Robins and Spider crabs.

It would be like

"I remember, when I was a kid fishing with my dad, there were plenty of those"

You don't know what you have and how good you have until you loose it forever.

11 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Tell me one fish not on the decline 

Puffer fish but from what I've seen in the past few years the increase in puffers sadly will be on a decline again very soon.

14 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Tell me one fish not on the decline 

In MD at least, snakehead, and blue catfish. Good fill-in's for the declining striper, but both are invasive at least in the ranges they're now being seen.