fishfinder401

Stupidest fishing moment

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Fished the Canal one early morning, and after getting undressed, and leaving the parking lot realized i had left my $200 pair of Costas on top of the tonneou cover of my truck. Realizing they were probably gone, but having just left, quickly spun around and went back. Nothing in the road, on the way back that i saw.  Maybe a chance? Got back to the entrance of the parking lot, and there they were sitting in the entrance! Now waiting to turn left, with tons of oncoming traffic, my pulse is racing. I see a break coming... look at traffic... look at glasses... look at traffic... look at glasses... just as i start to turn... lady in a mini van screaming at her kids runs them over... :waah:

i have done this at least three times...and i am still on my third pair of costas haha

16 hours ago, steveo905 said:

Drove 2 hours to the canal, and while getting ready realized that top half of rod did not match bottom half.

after driving 2 hours I'd make that thing fit together.

Was fishing with my brother on July 4th a couple years ago, my brothers a fresh water guy not a saltwater guy. I hook up a 50lb striper jigging, took me a few minutes to get it to the boat and saw the dorsal fin bent over and the size of the fish. I yell over my shoulder “get the gaff!” I’m sitting there holding the leader with the fish next to the boat, my brother taps my shoulder and I turn to see him holding the plastic boat hook. I calmly say “that’s the boat hook” he looks at me like I had two heads. We still laugh our asses off at that to this day

Snagging bunker early one morning in Manhasset for some bass chunking we're using giant unweighted trebles the pod is rite next to the boat. Johhny lobs out a cast and takes a huge swing.  Alls I hear is whoosh thud. Treble is buried 1/8 ' below my left nut into my way upper inner thigh. Ouch. Stoopid me was in the way.

Before i quit smoking years ago, cigratte on the mouth drop n burn the braided line while fighting a huge Cobia, line snap n fish WIN.

Sunday, start of shark fest 2020. Sharks slacked off, decided to free line a live menhaden on my stradic to try and get a more free swimming bait out for a king, 45 minutes, 101 laps around the skiff up over under and what felt like between the anchor line, pissed off 6ft spinner at the boat.

Trip to Costa Rico 5 years ago . Had my carryon tackle bag with about $2-3k worth of reels and lures . At luggage carousel I grab trolley and hand bag to either wife or kids. Grab 4 suit cases , load trolley and head for door . At door turn to wife and says where’s my tackle bag? Now San Jose airport is famous for baggage thief. I race back to luggage carousel which took about 2mins and there’s my bag sitting all by its lonesome no one around. Not many times I have cried in public but I was so overcome with joy...

Heading down to the beach load my Kershaw auto in the pouch. Bang out a few browns and head back to the car. Clear pouch and auto is gone! Damit!. To dark so head home and wait for first light to search. Head out and comp tracks to spot and back. Nothing.  Fhugg.  Gome.

Back out a day later. Slide waders on..wtf is that in my boot?

Yep. My auto.

Before corona this year, was driving on the highway near my house with my rod in my bed holder in truck, got to the spot, and realized I did hear a big bang along the way, well somehow my jig came lose, fell out of truck bed, and hook must have grabbed highway, 250yds of brand new line gone somewhere on the highway.  oh well, **** happens

A buddy and I trailer up to Stellwagen for a shot at bluefin not giants but there were a fair number of 50-100# fish around. Shimano had just came out with their Trevala rods and Butterfly jigs. I rigged up something like a 50-80# rod that seemed like a fluke rod. Within 15 minutes I hooked up with a jig. Rod seemed overwhelmed but I babied it for about what seemed like an hour. I was sure the rod was gonna snap. Finally get the fish alongside and my buddy gaffs about a 75# bluefin. Next he’s having trouble bringing the fish over the gunnel. I put down my rod and grab the gaff. In one movement I slide the fish over the gunnel and land it right on top of my rod. Snap. The rod I babied for an hour succumbed to my clumsiness. 

Popped myself in the face pretty hard last night with a 3/4 oz jig head.  Was fishing a zoom fluke and thought I was further out.  Hit some bunker (I think) that was pretty close in and took a swing.  Jig head came flying at my face...missed my eye by 1/4".  Have a nice bruise and a big welt to show for my stupidity....fortunately, I still have both my eyes.

Hooked the biggest blue of my life eyeballed roughly 40+ inches. Tangled lines with my brother and lost the fish next time ill just have him cut his line and buy him a new spool