fishfinder401

Stupidest fishing moment

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

So... I made a stupid mistake tonight... I was finalizing the layout of a flyrod im building and figured I would fish with it for a little see if it needed any adjustment, and after a little noticed it was casting weird...

Turned out the tip top guide came untapped, slid all the way down the line during the cast and came off the hook. Not doing that again... Now I need to order 1 single guide and wait like a week to finish this...

What are some of your more stupid moments fishing you wont do again?

Checking the drags on a tuna spread I wasn't looking at the reel as I pulled, and instead of peeling a few inches of line I was really lifting the rod out of the holder, and and $800 combo went bye bye just like that.

Trying to take a picture of a Marlin at the boat, I didn't have a good grip on my phone, and when the Marlin thrashed a little, the guy holding the Bill elbowed me and the $300 phone went bye bye.

Heading out on a Tuna trip at 3am, I put my bucket of electronics in the livewell to get it out of the way, and found out an hour later when I went to set the GoPro up that that livewell is "always on."  2 GoPros, 6 spare batteries, a few charging cables, and my handheld GPS, toast.  That was about $900 worth of stuff.

That was all within 2 months.  It was a bad run.

17 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Checking the drags on a tuna spread I wasn't looking at the reel as I pulled, and instead of peeling a few inches of line I was really lifting the rod out of the holder, and and $800 combo went bye bye just like that.

Trying to take a picture of a Marlin at the boat, I didn't have a good grip on my phone, and when the Marlin thrashed a little, the guy holding the Bill elbowed me and the $300 phone went bye bye.

Heading out on a Tuna trip at 3am, I put my bucket of electronics in the livewell to get it out of the way, and found out an hour later when I went to set the GoPro up that that livewell is "always on."  2 GoPros, 6 spare batteries, a few charging cables, and my handheld GPS, toast.  That was about $900 worth of stuff.

That was all within 2 months.  It was a bad run.

Close the thread, that's gonna be hard to top.

I tried fishing a particular jetty near a beach in my area for the first time. Walked out about a mile during low tide and the bite was red hot. I look back after a couple hours of hooking up and the rocks I walked in on had disappeared as the time came in. Walked/swam all the way back in near chest water. 

live and learn!

I’ve done some dumb **** losing lures, destroyed some rods/reels from stupidity, just dropped a brand new reel into salt water that shouldn't have been exposed this spring.... so I hope that’s not the next casualty. But damn I got nothing compared to Joe lol. This should be a good thread 

Joe got a very very expensive mistake :banghd:

Hope that doesnt happen to you, again. Get some Lotto ticket, u might win some cash to replace your tackles n gadgets. Good luck.

Years ago drove about an hour to fish a lake and realized my rods were still at home leaning against my garage door :banghd:. Called a buddy who lived nearby and borrowed his brand new rod.  Broke the brand new rod shortly thereafter and spent the rest of the day driving to replace the same.  He still does not know to this day

Left my tackle bag at the canal parking lot full of brand new never used very expensive custom plugs.

Left my tackle bag in the canal rocks full of jigs and plugs.

Left my tackle bag at the boat ramp in Va beach full of lures for reds and specs.

All within a 3 year time.

Loosing the bags was worse then the tackle inside btw.

No sleep does that to me.......

Was in a hurry going out last year to one of my go to's that was a hour away from me, I forgot to bring my hooks. I didn't had the chance to pre-rig my lines, thought to myself I can tie it up when I get there. I had to swallow that tiny bit of pride in myself and ask a fellow fisherman for some hooks. Good day overall, still produced and thanked the fellow beside me.

My sibling hooked a nice striper and I had the net but I tried to get it tail first. :scream: I lost the fish.

I tied the stringer of fishes of friends with the wrong knot and they went back to sea.:soapbox: Good way to lost friends.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, Bluefishmaster said:

My sibling hooked a nice striper and I had the net but I tried to get it tail first. :scream: I lost the fish.

I tied the stringer of fishes of friends with the wrong knot and they went back to sea.:soapbox: Good way to lost friends.

Buy em a drink and call it a day.....

Edited by Sandbar1