Seized bolt on trailer

Rate this topic

dannyplug1

I am trying to remove a sized bolt from my old aluminum trailer.  The nut came off fine but the bolt won’t give.  Tried Hitting the bolt with a hammer but it won’t move.  It’s definitely stuck.  I hit the bolt so many times the threads are damaged.  Not a problem I will replace the bolt.  But I do have to get it out.  Any one have any ideas?  PB blaster heat?  Also I was thinking of changing the trailer from a single to a two kayak trailer.  If this bolt is stuck will it be likely that the rest of the hardware on the trailer will be difficult or impossible to take apart?  It might be a better idea to buy a new double kayak trailer.  Thanks

017115D0-F5EE-40F6-88CD-ECD296113B14.jpeg

Put a box wrench on the bolt head, get it to move and tap it out. Spray ALL the rest of the fasteners to be removed with some nut buster or liquid wrench.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

11 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Take grinder to the bolt head. You'll get it out .

I like this as a second option.

36 mins ago, cheech said:

Put a box wrench on the bolt head, get it to move and tap it out. Spray ALL the rest of the fasteners to be removed with some nut buster or liquid wrench.

I would say try using some liquid wrench ect but also use one of these, a breaker bar. Nuts on tires are routinely over tightened and rusty. Yet with  the use  of the breaker bar they are broken free. Put it on horizontally, then you can get a foot on it, if need be, or give it a tap with a small sledge. That will teach that bolt whose boss.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 7.19.26 AM.png

Put an impact wrench on it with an impact socket.

It will move one way or the other.

Failing that use a smoke wrench and a breaker bar until it turns.

Looks like aluminum Use heat cautiously Don't catch bunk on fire. Don't melt aluminum.

Wear Safety Glasses!

Heat the bracket the bolt is going through with a propane or map gas torch

If that does not work start drilling half way though try a punch in the hole you cant mushroom the bolt.

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956