surfrat59

Skagit head/tip combo question

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

No experience with skagit, scandi, or any form of TH fly rod. Couple seasons ago built a powerful 8ft SH rod from an old inshore spinning rod. Currently I fish it with full length 34-37ft fly line heads weighing 600 thru 675 grains. Will be in need of replacement intermediate and floater eventually, but those grain weights are long gone in conventional fly lines, sans Wulff ambush 14wt, but only a floater and only 24ft. Full sink is 36ft of t18 but thats not an issue to tie up spares. I'm looking at pairing a 500 grain 23ft skagit head with 10-15 tips from conventional fly lines. Doable for overhead casting in a strong headwind, or hinging or fly line tip taper makes for poor turnover.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Should be no problem.  Scientific Anglers Third Coast (or newer version) Skagit head and medium Mow/iMow tips - loop to loop it.  If you go with 10' tips that gets you to 33' total head + tip, and a 15ft tip would bring it up to 38fr.  I personally like the intermediate Skagit heads as they are thinner and have less air resistance.  An 8 ft rod should work quite well with a shorter head/tip.  I'd actually even think a 28 ft head + tip combo would work even better with an 8' rod.

Sierra had the Third Coast int and float skagits on sale awhile back, then they closed due to Covid, now back open. 

Edited by Killiefish

Never new skagit heads existed in intermediates, thought they were all floaters. I'll check out the SA third coast, would much prefer the intermediate head...thanks Killie...

As far as making my own tips and turnover is concerned would I use the weight forward front 15ft of an old fly line or do I need the middle section with less taper when coupled to the head for better turnover?

Not sure what you are trying to do with your second question.  It is possible to build franken-lines from sections of old lines, but why bother when you can get a ready made Skagit head for (~$20) and loop to loop it to the pre-looped Mow/iMow or Skagit tip of your choice.  Mow and iMow tips are looped as are many other tips made for Skagit systems (Rio, Sci anglers, and esp. Airflo makes some great tips too).  If the loops fail, can create a new one. 

But yes, you can make a floating tip from and old floating line, or an int. tip from an old int. line if you wanted to (experiment!).  Can make tips out of older intact sections of line by matching diameters (for a floating line, you are most likely going to find that the best diameter match is starting from some portion of the belly-front or rear taper).

Don't be afraid to source tips from different lines.

To help avoid hinging and failure, IMO, you have to make sure that the stiffness and diameter, at least, if not density, of the two sections matches.   It can be difficult to match them up without:  a) weak spots or discontinuities, b) uneven or abrupt differences in sink rates, or c) ultimately failure of the line (either at or above/below the connections).  Most likely you will be creating a loop to loop connection, and if so it can be helpful to include a plastic heat-shrink tube over the loop/loop, but eventually that can cause failure above or below the connection.

But if it were me, I'd stick to:  500 grain skagit head (@23') and a 10' Mow/iMow or other pre-looped tip, (weighing in at ~100 to 120g).  600-620g and 33ft.

Edited by Killiefish

Did a little research, again I know nothing about skagit.scandi lines, and saw many choices in Imow tips to match an intermediate skagit head. Not expensive, actually a good head and a few tips about the same price give or take of a new fly line. Looks like the best way to experiment...thanks again Killie.

OPST also makes an intermediate head now.  I have the third coast on my 9/10 Beulah Opal.  I just picked up the OPST intermediate in a 450 grain for my Meiser spey to swing

You can use an intergraded line on your rod and not be too concerned with the spey lines. Just make sure it is the recommended grain 

weight for your rod. I  have done this with no problems. FishHawk

On 5/12/2020 at 1:29 AM, Killiefish said:

you can get a ready made Skagit head for (~$20)

From where? Please point me in the right direction!

Sierra Trading Post had the Third Coast Intermediate but they are closed right now.  Just googled-  The Fly Shack has them for 29.95- 640 grain

Edited by titleguy

3 hours ago, FishHawk II said:

You can use an intergraded line on your rod and not be too concerned with the spey lines. Just make sure it is the recommended grain 

weight for your rod. I  have done this with no problems. FishHawk

Problem is finding integrated lines heavy enough anymore, I'm using a 525gn intermediate head currently and that's at the low end of what the rod likes. Can get wulff ambush above 600gn, but only in a floater and short head, I think 25ft if I remember. Sinking line no problem, the intermediate is where I'm missing weight the rod can take advantage of.

4 hours ago, titleguy said:

Sierra Trading Post had the Third Coast Intermediate but they are closed right now.  Just googled-  The Fly Shack has them for 29.95- 640 grain

No I think they are open again.  Orders might take a while to ship.

They only have 400g and 440g currently (i.e., in the Third Coast Skagits).  Remember that when using them you need a tip.  So for overhead the effective payload is heavier.  A 400 grain int head with a 10' 100-140g tip casts well overhead with, e.g., a Beulah 8/9 (old model) or 9/10 surf rod.  The 440g head can probably carry a medium Mow or 140-160g tip.  That gets you into 580g to 600g payload range for overhead.

Edited by Killiefish

The new SA skagit is called 'Freightliner', but you can probably still find the original Skagit Extreme on the cheap.  Their Third Coast didn't seem to last very long.

You can also get custom lines from Steve Godshall; any length, any weight, any taper...he now makes full sinking type 3 and 6  heads too.  I have a few of his lines and they are spot on perfect.

Go to Bob Meiser's site....you can reach Steve through Bob (Steve builds all lines for Bob's rods...called SGS shooting heads)

Edited by Squish
'

19 hours ago, Killiefish said:

No I think they are open again.  Orders might take a while to ship.

They only have 400g and 440g currently (i.e., in the Third Coast Skagits).  Remember that when using them you need a tip.  So for overhead the effective payload is heavier.  A 400 grain int head with a 10' 100-140g tip casts well overhead with, e.g., a Beulah 8/9 (old model) or 9/10 surf rod.  The 440g head can probably carry a medium Mow or 140-160g tip.  That gets you into 580g to 600g payload range for overhead.

I have the 440 with the a 10' t-8 heavy mow tip on my 9/10 Beulah- it gets out there overhead but will still spey cast as well.  I just picked up the OPST intermediate in a 400 for my Meiser for swinging in alewife and herring patterns in rivers.

1 hour ago, titleguy said:

I have the 440 with the a 10' t-8 heavy mow tip on my 9/10 Beulah- it gets out there overhead but will still spey cast as well.  I just picked up the OPST intermediate in a 400 for my Meiser for swinging in alewife and herring patterns in rivers.

Aren't the heavy mow tips around T-14 or equivalent??  The light mows are T-8.  Maybe you meant the light tip? 

I usually use light or medium mows but would pick up a couple heavy ones if I thought the 400 or 440g skagit would perform better with them on the 9/10 Beulah (older model).

Oops- yeah T-14...  brain fart.  Sometimes I fish 30' of straight T-14 or even T-17 on for crab flies- ugly casting and somewhat boring way to fish, until they eat.