Hypothermia....the reality of a dry suit.

This is one of the best videos I have seen on immersion in cold water.  This is far from staying warm and toasty in your dry suit until help arrives. I like how he makes comments on the the neoprene gloves which the majority of us will not wear while fishing. 10 minutes with neoprene gloves on and he has mild hypo symptoms. Uncontrollable at 30 minutes. Water temp 36 degrees. 

Edited by The Riddler

That's a good reality check. I don't consider my (semi)drysuit a survival suit, I'd just like to be able to go back to fishing if I go over and then self-rescue, and this seems like the most probable route.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

I stumbled upon this a while back.  I like it because it's straight data and zippo BS....tells me about how long before they're looking for my body which is all I need to know.  

Salt air provides the levity needed for survival.

26 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

Is your survival time in a dry suit longer than a wetsuit? What are the downsides to wetsuit use in cold conditions?

I feel the downside of the wetsuit in cold conditions will be overheating fishing in the kayak and out of the water. Another factor is if already cold out of water in a wetsuit it may be difficult to gain heat upon submersion.  I never tried that part though.  I only experienced overheating. 

I don't know what the survival rate would be in both. Many variables and heat loss factors.  Most kayak anglers who use a dry suit or wet suit will wear a warm hat but not a neoprene skull cap or Neoprene hoodie. Same with gloves.  Most will not wear a closed cell neoprene waterproof glove instead use wool/synthetic mitt gloves with flappers to expose fingers to fish. Then judging by the layers most use under the drysuit we often bundle up for the air comfort or slightly over or could risk overheating too. 

With that being said based on 40 degree water temp with 30's and 40's air?  I would rather be dumped out in a 6-5-4 with hoodie and gloves over a dry suit stuffed with layers. 

14 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

35 degree water or 35 degree air I'm not getting in my kayak.  A good VHF is your best friend in any emergency.  

As long as your fingers still function ...

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Does anyone pair a dry suit with a light wetsuit under? I'm thinking if I'm going to be doing any late fall/early winter fishing this year, a dry suit alone won't cut it. 

I've got my eyes on the NRS hydroskin 1.5mm "jacket" and pants. They seem pretty easy to take on and off and not too restrictive. I think they also have 0.5mm, and 1.0mm neoprene pieces too.