Riptide

Just curious

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

When 4 of the top 11 posts have nothing to do with fishing, is this still a site for FISHING & REPORTS?   

I know everyone is bored AF and cranky.   But the fish are here in both Fresh and Salt.

No b:tching just curious if this is the new normal?

Edited by Riptide

3 mins ago, Riptide said:

When 4 of the top 11 posts have nothing to do with fishing, is this still a site for REPORTS?   

I know everyone is bored AF and cranky.   But the fish are here in both Fresh and Salt.

No b:tching just curious if this is the new normal?

I think there are a lot of people here and in this state that believe we are in lock down mode, meaning we cannot go out side or do anything.  We have been asked to "shelter in place" avoid crowds and social distance.  Being in the fishing tackle manufacturing business I have observed most tackle shops are open and serving customers.  As far as fishing goes I see a lot of folks up this way fishing the popular spots for stocked fish and going to the south shore and Cape Cod once a week I am seeing more and more people fishing in the salt..  My personal spots are loaded with native brookies and the granddaughters and myself are have a blast.  Another thing I have noticed more and more, Mass. sportsmen seem to be getting lazy, meaning if they have to walk more than a 100 feet from there cars the bitch about the lack of access (Cape Cod Canal and DCR properties).

My .02

PS boat reports are always welcome, shore reports not so much...………….. 

I just always liked to come here to avoid the FB Cape Cod Community Page drama found elsewhere.   

Shame on me getting sucked into the mask thread.   I mean I love food and cooking, but unless its some new cool seafood dish this wouldn't be where I'd come to see it.   

"Fishing" sites have come and gone and this one has always stood the test of time.   I'd hate to see that change. 

Just now, Riptide said:

I just always liked to come here to avoid the FB Cape Cod Community Page drama found elsewhere.   

Shame on me getting sucked into the mask thread.   I mean I love food and cooking, but unless its some new cool seafood dish this wouldn't be where I'd come to see it.   

"Fishing" sites have come and gone and this one has always stood the test of time.   I'd hate to see that change. 

Terry SOL has undergone many changes over the years , however the basic rules have managed to keep it all together over these same years. I do not for see any changes to the basic principals we all are following in the majority of cases. That is why Tim has brought about many different forums over the years in keeping with his guidelines and what the users are looking for when they post here or simply look in. Both types of reports from shore and boats has always been part of these forums, as long as they only attempt to make reports that do not show specifics as to locations . At least that has been my take away over the years  Peace and Prayers

I work at not getting "sucked" into the non-fishing BS, which is not always easy. I will keep giving reports when I have them, help where I can, but more importantly get out fishing as much as I can!

On the one hand.. I sort of expect guys to be talking about covid. It's a once or twice in a century pandemic that turned the world upside down. Even made it (slightly) challenging to fish and hit spots in a few states.

The question for me is what covid threads are relevant to the mass fishing forum, and what threads are better suited for the tavern. Or even, the..

Screenshot_20200511-082457_Chrome.jpg.dbe109265cff9e943fa7954af1c0bb5f.jpg

When I first came to MA forum SOL, it was 85% fishing.   Half of that was insider jargon between friends about where they were fishing and how they did.   It was like a secret code that either intrigued you or turned you off.  It intrigued me..  The other half was  mostly good natured friendly bashing of peers, kelp balls, bent hooks, etc.   The other 10% was probably MA or CC related stuff that interested people who fished.

Winter time was always very sloooow.  it was mostly CC and north shore locals talking about breakfast that day.   Every site also used to have a guy who would post ham radio channels or some code.  Whatever black ops thingamajig that was about seems to have occured as I don't see that anymore.

With an influx of newbies fishing, many forums like this one have been inundated with "what's a good scup rod" or "where can I catch a stripper?" level questions.

I think politics and the divisiveness in this country/world has invaded almost every niche from dog shows to scup fishing.   You can't post a french fry recipe without someone flaming you for doing it wrong or blaming the grungy burnt bits on the president.   And forget posting anything that is worth discussing.  It will eventually bring out a Hitler reference.

18 mins ago, Riptide said:

Well that was kind of my thought.    With all the other forums many of these posts IMHO are not really "Mass Fishing".

I frequent a popular boating page and they really seem to keep things in there respective places.   

Politics goes in a politics or bilge forum and it keeps Boating, Electronics, Fishing clean and clear of the noise.   

I know I can weed through the "other" posts.   It was just more an observation than anything. 

Tight lines 

I wonder if it might be a good idea to have a change in "moderation" of the forum for a time?   Sort of to bring it back into shape?   Maybe just a strict adherence to "fishing AND massachusetts" in the thread?      Just till all this blows over anyhow?

What's so complicated? Talk about covid, politics, supermarket prices, etc all you want-just not in MASS Fishing. There are numerous opportunities in SOL for those subjects.

2 mins ago, Peter D said:

What's so complicated? Talk about covid, politics, supermarket prices, etc all you want-just not in MASS Fishing. There are numerous opportunities in SOL for those subjects.

Shouldn’t the MA issues be talked about in the MA forum fishing related or not?  Without those topics the MA forum would be pretty dead. There are hardly any fishing related posts lately. 

I have mixed emotions about starting that thread.

It was mostly just an alert.

I'm proud of the amount of traffic it's caused for the site but on the other hand pretty embarrassed by it's content too.  :laugh:

3 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I have mixed emotions about starting that thread.

It was mostly just an alert.

I'm proud of the amount of traffic it's caused for the site but on the other hand pretty embarrassed by it's content too.  :laugh:

How about another topic thread in Clubs and Organizations called Other Mass Topics? The Canal topic seems to work out well there.

We have had some pretty good non-fishing threads here. It's one of the things I like so much about this forum. All angling all the time gets pretty boring. I mean how many times can you talk about what's the best jigging set up for the ditch??

Local history, weather, shellfishing, an interesting day etc make's for a better forum me thinks.......That being said I could do with a lil less covid subject matter in the threads too.........