drmevo

Lightweight canoe for freshwater

29 posts in this topic

21 mins ago, drmevo said:

Found a Royalex Old Town Camper 16 locally, going to check it out tonight. It's only 58 pounds so it should work perfectly. 

I hope you like it

48 mins ago, srm413 said:

as far as kids in canoes, hopefully at 9 he is a good swimmer and always wear a life jacket.

Yeah, he swims and always wears a PFD. I don't see what all the hubbub is about canoes being unstable, though. 

43 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

I hope you like it

Me too, it's not cheap even used but they don't make Royalex anymore apparently. The company that made it stopped doing so around 2013. I think that's why most of their canoes are now ~80+ lbs.

I have a Saranac that I use with both my Daughters  . They swim and wear pfd's as do I ( lead by example ) . The roylex sounds really nice .

Personally I would be way more worried about my kids in an inflatable than a canoe unless it was Military grade construction .

If you want light weight you should be looking for a used fiber glass or kevlar canoe. I would suggest wenonah canoes, or if you can find a used bell canoe they made some wonderful light weight canoes. Canoes are like any other boats the hull design is what gives them their characteristics , some are initially stable and have poor secondary stability, some may feel tippy initially. but have solid secondary stability Canoes are a great way to fish they can be carried into a lot of places, are easy to launch and with a fair amount of skill can be used in varying conditions. Research hull designs a bit before you by.

38 mins ago, drmevo said:

I bought the Old Town Camper. 58 pounds for 16’ is plenty light. 

95AA4A0E-7045-44A9-9FE1-B7ACC5ABA7F3.jpeg

Thats the model I was thinking when I popped pen this thread. 

You are likely going to love it, it'll be great for him and a friend when he grows up in just a few years, at under 60lbs can take it himself/alongside of you when he's a young teen, and you will easily be able to resell it in 2 seconds to another guy with a little kid.  

I think you are going to like it perfectly for the last minute pond trips you mentioned. 

33 mins ago, 55555s said:

Thats the model I was thinking when I popped pen this thread. 

You are likely going to love it, it'll be great for him and a friend when he grows up in just a few years, at under 60lbs can take it himself/alongside of you when he's a young teen, and you will easily be able to resell it in 2 seconds to another guy with a little kid.  

I think you are going to like it perfectly for the last minute pond trips you mentioned. 

Thanks. Yes, we took it out last night and it was great. I’ve gotta get him to pull his weight when paddling but we’ll get there. The only slight negative is the wind can really blow this thing around, but once I mount the trolling motor that won’t be a huge concern. I can also just pack a small anchor. I think it’s because  of it’s flat bottom and light weight but it’s also hugely stable for a canoe.

I bought the Old Town motor mount locally and got it registered. Just have to slap the numbers on then we’ll test it out with the motor today or tomorrow.

1 min ago, drmevo said:

I think it’s because  of it’s flat bottom and light weight but it’s also hugely stable for a canoe.

Yep... until its not!  We do controlled dumps in scouts and they are stable, but once you hit that point, they GO!   Completely a non-issue for your use.  

That was a great buy.

2 mins ago, 55555s said:

Yep... until its not!  We do controlled dumps in scouts and they are stable, but once you hit that point, they GO!   Completely a non-issue for your use.  

That was a great buy.

I remember those days - swamp a canoe, empty it and re-enter right?

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:42 AM, drmevo said:

I bought the Old Town Camper. 58 pounds for 16’ is plenty light. 

95AA4A0E-7045-44A9-9FE1-B7ACC5ABA7F3.jpeg

NICE PICK UP!!!!!

Ive got the same forester in green

I know you found one. Congrats. But for anyone looking, I'm considering getting a Saranac for local FW. My boss has one, and loves it for him and his 10 year old son. It has some fishing features, good back support and  nice price. 

saranac.png

3 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

NICE PICK UP!!!!!

Ive got the same forester in green

Thanks! This thing is sweet. I've gotta build a sun shade for it. I have it on saw horses next to a shed but it's in such nice condition I don't want it to get sun faded. 

1 hour ago, SG1 said:

I know you found one. Congrats. But for anyone looking, I'm considering getting a Saranac for local FW. My boss has one, and loves it for him and his 10 year old son. It has some fishing features, good back support and  nice price. 

saranac.png

I did check that one out at one point. It might work well for you - if you end up getting one let us know. But the benefits of Royalex are immense for my purposes, not the least of which is that my 16’ is 20 pounds lighter than that 14.5’. I did spend slightly more than the full price of that boat, but I feel it’s a great value.