drmevo

Lightweight canoe for freshwater

29 posts in this topic

I’ve been using a 4-man inflatable boat with trolling motor to take my son out freshwater fishing the past 3-4 years. While it has a lot of positives, it has its drawbacks as well, and it’s starting to get worn out. The thing I liked was that I could keep it semi-inflated, then quickly top it off and throw it on top of the car to head to our usual spot around the corner. It kept him contained when he was smaller but I don’t really need that anymore.

I’d like to find something similar in a canoe. My son will be 9 soon so while I could probably get away with something meant for 1 person in the short term I should plan for a 2-person boat. I know I can handle my 70-lb kayak but I wouldn’t want to deal with much, if any, more than that if I don’t have to. We go on a lot of quick, last-minute outings so ease of transport is important. 

I see Nucanoe has some offerings in that range that either have a second seat or the option to add one, and there’s a square stern for a trolling motor. Anything else I should check out? I’d like to keep it under $1000 (used would be fine) if possible. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've always been partial to Old Town Canoes. Mostly because that's what I paddled growing up and never had a problem with them.  The Discovery is hard to beat and should be around the weight limit you're looking for. They come in many sizes and are a traditional canoe.  They also make some with comfy seats.

I don't have any other experience with other brands to help compare. 

Edited by Spazzoni

My experience (a long time ago) is that canoes are tippy.  Personally I'd be afraid to take a youngster in a canoe for that reason.

How about a small aluminum boat?

Edited by Dan Tinman

12 hours ago, Spazzoni said:

I've always been partial to Old Town Canoes. Mostly because that's what I paddled growing up and never had a problem with them.  The Discovery is hard to beat and should be around the weight limit you're looking for. They come in many sizes and are a traditional canoe.  They also make some with comfy seats.

I don't have any other experience with other brands to help compare. 

I'd love to own an Old Town and that was the first brand I checked, but even the smallest Discovery is 78lbs. That might not be too bad, but I was really hoping to be under 70lbs. I'm also not sure how easy it would be to attach my trolling motor. 

11 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

My experience (a long time ago) is that canoes are tippy.  Personally I'd be afraid to take a youngster in a canoe for that reason.

How about a small aluminum boat?

That was my experience growing up but I think hull designs have improved or at least diversified quite a bit. I've had him pedal my kayak while I sit behind him in the tank well and I'm pretty used to counter-balancing whatever he does.  I am car-topping so I think a small aluminum boat might be out because of that.

Edited by drmevo

Check out the hurricane skimmer 140 tandem kayak. I think it meets your weight requirement.

It weighs less then your revo.

The new seaeagle inflatable boats with the drop stitch floors are nice like the 380. The stealth stalker 10 is sweet too 

My Old Town Discovery 17 is about 20 years old but in great shape. Took my 2 girls out all the time along with my wife ... wide and super stable ... only stability issue I ever had was taking down a moderately riflery river when we flipped it as it was pinned against a rock. Otherwise it was rock solid. Never took it out into the open ocean or Bays though ... fresh water mostly. It's about 80 lbs but too long to handle by myself. Maybe a 14-15 foot version? 

3 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Check out the hurricane skimmer 140 tandem kayak. I think it meets your weight requirement.

It weighs less then your revo.

Those look nice, but I think I really would like more of a canoe or at least hybrid form factor for this. Speed is not much of a factor here but I'd like to use my current trolling motor and deep cycle battery. This is more for fishing than paddling. 

1 hour ago, triumph said:

The new seaeagle inflatable boats with the drop stitch floors are nice like the 380. The stealth stalker 10 is sweet too 

If I were planning on another inflatable that would be great. For getting out on the weekends with a buddy I think those are the ticket over something like a Bass Raider - but you need a dry place to store it or deflate and dry it every time you use it. The one I had just got too beat from leaving it outdoors partially inflated and having to scrub off mildew every season sucks. I'm talking quick 1.5 hour after dinner last minute summer fishing trips, throw the boat on the roof and get down to the water, get home at dark and then it's bedtime - unload the boat, plug in the battery to charge, done. It's a specific scenario, but by far the most frequent for me.

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

My Old Town Discovery 17 is about 20 years old but in great shape. Took my 2 girls out all the time along with my wife ... wide and super stable ... only stability issue I ever had was taking down a moderately riflery river when we flipped it as it was pinned against a rock. Otherwise it was rock solid. Never took it out into the open ocean or Bays though ... fresh water mostly. It's about 80 lbs but too long to handle by myself. Maybe a 14-15 foot version? 

I would definitely like to own one of those at some point, but it looks like the lightest one is 78lbs and it's not really built with a trolling motor in mind. I have a 3-person cheapie box store canoe that actually has a trolling motor mount and believe or not I've taken it in the open ocean with a buddy (paddling) and it's not bad. The problem is it's 90+lbs. Maybe I'd be better off finding a system to wrestle that on top of the car, but I can already see it slipping and knocking off my sideviews. 

4 hours ago, drmevo said:

I'd love to own an Old Town and that was the first brand I checked, but even the smallest Discovery is 78lbs. That might not be too bad, but I was really hoping to be under 70lbs. I'm also not sure how easy it would be to attach my trolling motor. 

I wasn't sure on the weight, just going off of memory. 

For the trolling motor there are brackets made for the Old Towns and they also make a square stern model.

I found Hornbeck Boats doing a quick search. Light but expensive. I'm not sure about the trolling motor with them either.  A good redneck might be able to rig something up.

23 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

Old Town made a Royalex Camper....nice lighter weight and durable. Not sure they still make it.

Looks like it is discontinued but that looks like it would work well if I can find one. I'll keep an eye out on CL and FB Marketplace in any case. Thanks!

Found a Royalex Old Town Camper 16 locally, going to check it out tonight. It's only 58 pounds so it should work perfectly.