popper pete

Youth waders ?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys new to the site and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on youth waders. ($200 or less) I have an 8 yr old that is already quite the fisherman and I think it might be time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought my kids boot foot coated nylon chest waders until they were 15 years old or so.  The coated nylon seems to hold up well to kids. Go with felt soled boots if you can.  Much better grip and you can always add studs.  The advantage of boot foot is the ability to easily dump out water if (when) they fall in.  I forced all three of my kids to swim across our local river (not very wide) with their waders on before I would take them fishing.  Wanted to make sure they did not panic when they fell in later by accident.  They had no problem swimming but obviously pulling themselves out of the water was difficult so I was there to help.

I'm not suggesting you do this but I am suggesting that they need to get comfortable with water in their waders.

Cabelas still sells the type I purchased.

Edited by qecfly

Posted (edited) · Report post

Amazon 35 $ .. the boot are thin and crappy , but the waders themselves ain’t bad .. so far they been holding up and keeping him dry and he’s rough on stuff .. the brand was magreel

78CAF61D-F276-4FA8-B4AA-4118CCE00E03.jpeg

B9106971-72FC-4377-B5F7-8ABFC7DEAADE.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire

Search the local websites for stuff on sale, they are usually like new and can be had for $50-75. Womens waders are also made smaller, just don't tell him they are womens. 

I bought my 9 year old a pair of Allen neoprene bootfoot waders for the fall. They were around around $60 on Amazon. They were listed as used but they were brand new and still in the sealed bag in the box. They seem well built and we did a lot of walking the beach this fall and he never complained once about them.

20191129_161524.jpg

10 hours ago, popper pete said:

thanks for the input I guess I might have to check out amazon (should have known better) and maybe a swim test in the pool .

Yea I looked at every local shop and big box store . Couldn’t find nothing small enough ..