BromBones

Fly Box Question...

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I received this older Orvis Fly Box from a friend of a friend.  It appears to be more of a boat box (has storage for tippets and a magnet patch so you don’t lose flies).  It opens like a binder and has two molded foam fly patches. In the pictures below, the one side has the classic dry fly style “stepped” foam so that you don’t crush your hackle. 

But, I cannot figure out what the other side is used for.  They are raised domes with space in between (see picture below).  The best I can guess is that this side would be used to dry your flies in a drift boat?  Maybe this design was intended for storing nymphs?  

If anyone knows, please enlighten me as I have tried to research the answer online and couldn’t find an answer.  Thx!

EF506934-A401-41B9-A6B9-9C44000A9784.png

62566016-7C9B-4CDE-9129-FB9334E14020.png

17F96AAD-1A91-411C-A2EF-6B7B1BB2096E.png

6 hours ago, HillTop said:

Deck casting line mat?

That's a good guess HillTop, but it's rather small for a line mat.  It's about the size of a piece of printer paper (8.5X11 inch) and the little domes of raised foam wouldn't do much to keep your fly line in place.  Also, I think that a fly box would be a weird place to incorporate a line management mat.  You may be correct however if Orvis marketed this as a "boat box" for drift boats, row boats, canoes, etc.  Still a mystery:confused:

Maybe for big streamers, stick the hook in just like you would on the other panel, but the flies themselves can go between columns full length without being deformed by the next row. I've seen boxes with lumps like that, but they had slits to slide the bend into.

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

Maybe they're used as drying platforms for flies?

This would be my guess too. Just another place to stick hooks, but likely for drying rather than actual storage. That seems like a reasonable explanation. 

1 hour ago, Beomurf said:

Do they function like the plastic thing in a pizza box - there to prevent the box from being crushed?

That’s possible, but I checked to see if that was the case and it seems that when I close the case the knobs would actually crush the hackle and wings on dry flies that were stored on the other side on all but the smallest flies.  So, it might be the intended purpose, but I don’t think so.  

I called the Orvis fishing tackle technical hotline (yes, there is one) and spoke to a guy who requested I send an email with photos.  He said that if he didn’t recognize the case he would ask around the company.  I’m curious to see what their response is.  I will post here once I get an answer. 

Thank you all for your input.  I've gotten a response from Orvis's fishing tackle technical team and their response is below.  I'm going to leave this thread open in case anyone come across it and wants to comment on what the case was designed for. I'm also going to head back up to Vermont once the Covid-19 threat is over and will bring it with me when I visit their flagship store in Manchester.  I'll tote it along to the Orvis outlet as well and see if they know.  

I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find the answer within the Orvis company.  This case appears to be from the 2007(ish) era as I recognize the green fabric outer material and foam from other fly boxes I bought around that time.  Also, I find it hard to believe that the mounds would be used to hold lures as they would snag the flies on the other side of the box.  Who knows:confused:

From Orvis:

Thank you for following up with us.  We do not need your billing address since you got the box from someone else.  We passed around your photos and no one had seen this particular style but it is definitely an older generation lure box, likely for spinning lures, hence the mounds.  The interior looks almost new and it would be great for larger streamers, etc.  If you get any additional information on the history of the box, please let us know and we will dig a little further.  Stay safe and healthy.

–– Spencer F.

Orvis Outfitters
The Orvis Company, Inc
1711 Blue Hills Drive
Roanoke, VA 24012
1-800-548-9548
www.orvis.com
 embedded_image-19519e.jpg?attachmentID=2292182316630974199&accountID=722300764603474680&EmailAttachmentID=1993274166540258003

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:59 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

My guess... nymph flies on the step side.....

Streamers on the knob side.

Also note.... do to the larger size box maybe used for lake trout or steelhead fliesl

Just a thought !

24 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Also note.... do to the larger size box maybe used for lake trout or steelhead fliesl

Just a thought !

That thought crossed my mind.  Possibly a Stillwater box for a rowboat?  The design is definitely unique. 

I wonder if it was the fly/lure/reel box for that kit they used to have that was a travel fly rod that could double as a spin rod for when it was windy (had two butt sections and only used a couple for the spin rod configuration)...probably wasn't that good in either role but I seem to remember it...

But then again I've had multiple concussions and was never that smart to start with...

16 mins ago, Beomurf said:

I wonder if it was the fly/lure/reel box for that kit they used to have that was a travel fly rod that could double as a spin rod for when it was windy (had two butt sections and only used a couple for the spin rod configuration)...probably wasn't that good in either role but I seem to remember it...

But then again I've had multiple concussions and was never that smart to start with...

I remember the rod combo you are talking about.  That’s definitely a possibility.