archie20

newbie question

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

We are thinking about making our first trip to obx around labor day. any suggestions locations and fish that may be caught that time of the year ? We're first timers for surf fishing  obx and have  4x4 and probably prefer to stay away from the crowds.

Where are you thinking of going? There is a world of difference (80+ miles) between Corolla and Hatteras and a world of different fishing opportunities. 

56 mins ago, archie20 said:

We are thinking about making our first trip to obx around labor day. any suggestions locations and fish that may be caught that time of the year ? We're first timers for surf fishing  obx and have  4x4 and probably prefer to stay away from the crowds.

If you want to stay away from crowds then the famous "Point" in Buxton would not be your choice, you have to fish a "conga line" there when the fish show up. Fortunately you have wheels for the beach, so that gives you a lot of options. Nothing like exploring the various ramps from Pea Island all the way down to the Hatteras Inlet and finding your own piece of beach to have all for yourself, and hopefully tangle with a few nice fish. My last few fall trips we stayed at a rental house near the motels at the entry to Buxton, parking is somewhat restricted to renters there so you tend to have a bit of beach to yourself, and fishing can be quite good...as long as beach replenishment isn't messing it up. Vehicles are not allowed on this stretch so you can actually grab a rod and walk all the way down to the old lighthouse location where there is a nice slough that periodically holds fish...but be advised...when word gets out that fish are there...you can find yourself standing shoulder to shoulder with 40 or 50 other guys casting into the surf ( they park in one of the lots at the new lighthouse lication )...like the run of speckled trout last November. I think of Sept around Labor Day as a transitional period between summer and fall fishing....depending on how long the heat built up and the water temp...you could find yourself fishing for little pompano close in, or an occasional run of spanish macs further out. Always pesky little bluefish which seem to peak in Sept Oct...be aware there's a bag limit on those now. But rest assured...depending on what the weather's been like and the prevailing winds...surf fishing the OBX is like that line in Forrest Gump..."its like a box of chocolates...you never know what youre gonna get." 

Note that I didn't address the fishing from Corolla to the Oregon Inlet...the northern areas are too much like suburbia to me.

Since you are talking labor day, I would fish mostly soundside. And if you have a kayak, you will have nonstop action on specs and puppy drum. 

unfortunately i will not have a kayak to use. Further south sounds better. Any suggestions for bait and hooks? I was thinking of using  pompano rigs. I appreciate the information.

a great trip is hitting all the piers....cool easy ....and fun.  also hit a few tackle shops for reports and info.  hatteras jacks,red drum and tws to name a few.....

3 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

Note that I didn't address the fishing from Corolla to the Oregon Inlet...the northern areas are too much like suburbia to me.

don't discount carova.....great trip and the most forgiving 4x4 area.  suburbia its not.   the obx is also one of the few places you can go to 4 lighthouses in a day

10 hours ago, archie20 said:

unfortunately i will not have a kayak to use. Further south sounds better. Any suggestions for bait and hooks? I was thinking of using  pompano rigs. I appreciate the information

The classic pompano rigs that I recall were top and bottom rigs ( also called hi lo rigs ) with tiny gold hooks baited with bits of shrimp or tiny sand fleas. I bet those fish bites would work too, but when they get washed out they are tough to get off the hook for re baiting. 

maybe visit a local tackle shop for hooks, bait, tech.  There wealth of knowledge requires some sales to keep them behind the counter. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

You'll need to go the Cape Hatteras Nat'l Seashore website and get your ORV pass.  They sell them for short term (a week or so) and for the year.  I would hit Cape Point just to say you've been there.  It is a stunningly beautiful place- particularly at sunrise, to be out there as the sun is going down and the stars are coming out is magical as well.  There's lots of beach between Avon and Salvo or just south of Avon where you can be really "socially isolated."  The beaches north of the point tend to be softer and more difficult for driving, the beaches south and west of the point (the Frisco area) are flatter and harder and quite easy to drive.  The water tends to be slightly rougher and cooler north of the point as well.  Get some two hook bottom rigs and shrimp.  You can also toss out a drum rig with mullet just for the heck of it.  It's too early for a fall drum run, but you may catch a blue on it and at the point hook into a shark that will give your shoulders a workout.

Edited by johnbull

If we’re thinking the same thing by 6500, you may need stouter gear.  You can find sandbar, sand tigers, spinners at the point.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a bull shark, but I don’t personally know of one being caught there.  The one large shark I caught there nearly spoiled 400 yards of 20lb test on a 12’ heaver.  It was 6’6” sandbar shark.