Roccus7

Happy 50th Anniversary Bruins Fans

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

50 years ago today, from a staunch NY Rangers fan who hated the 70s Bruins, and still does, so much that he never warmed up to Espo being a Ranger and left the Chilis in Niagara, ONT because it was a shrine to Derek Sanderson, this iconic sports moment.  When any US hockey fans says, THE goal, they think of this.

GP534OBAOFF6ZLPIXKKYNHCYVA.jpg

Hard to believe its been 50 years, just can't wrap my head around it.

Most people think Bobbly Orr took off like superman, I asked him at a golf outing once and he said it was more of jubilation of scoring the goal and being tripped by a very strong defenseman.

More details ...

Fifty years ago today, this photo of Bobby Orr scoring the overtime goal to give the Boston Bruins the Stanley Cup was taken. It is in the conversation for the greatest sports photo of all time with Ali standing over Liston and Secretariat jockey Ron Turcotte turning back as he won by 31 lengths at the Belmont. The shot is often talked about, but not the man who took it. Or the circumstances. Lussier of the Boston Record-American showed up to Game 4 in Boston with no credential and no seat. With the game headed into overtime, Lussier made his way from the East side of the rink to the West, where the Bruins could score and win. That’s when he noticed a photographer along the glass give up his stool. Lussier sat down. Play started and the photographer hadn’t come back. By the time he did, one minute into overtime, Bobby Orr had scored. And Ray Lussier had gotten his shot, with the photographer standing behind him with the beer he just gotten at the concession stand. The shot got its glory. In 1996, it was named the greatest moment in NHL history, which Orr credits to the photo. Lussier never got his due credit. He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1978 but for coverage of a blizzard. Two years later, he gave up photography to be a document restoration technician. And he died at 59 in 1991 with an obituary so hidden in the paper that anyone outside his family didn’t see. So here’s to Bobby Orr, No. 4, who scored the 4th goal in the 4th game to win it all. But moreso to the photographer, Ray Lussier, whose shot of Orr flying through the air was a fantastic combination of hustle and luck!

Caught the last minute of the radio broadcast of that game replayed today on 98.5 The Sports Hub this afternoon.

They played a bunch of content from post game interviews......very cool.

I watched the whole game live at my grandmothers house with her husband.   It was great!!!!!!!

I've been watching old Bruins games from the late 80's and early 90's (when I was at my most rabid) on NESN...good stuff.

Yeah there is some good that came out of the virus, forces media to dig into the archives

26 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Hell, I remember that moment like it was yesterday.

I can't believe it was 50 years ago.

Same here.  I remember my dad, running around the outside of our house clanging two pot lids together, making a racket. Neighbors couldn't understand. Then again this was in a new ritzy upstate NY neighborhood.......

A die hard ranger I am .still despise the bruins but what a team ,what a goal ,Mr Orr was thee hockey player of that time backed up by some great players or did he back them up ...undoubtedly one of the best defensemen to put on skates 

On 7/28/2020 at 8:18 PM, Surf bomber said:

...undoubtedly one of the best to put on skates 

FIFY

BTW Chatted with him last week, he's as gracious as ever.

been watching the NHL now for at least 50 yrs.,  Flyers season tix for 33 yrs.

IMHO  this guy was the best .....if he played today he'd still be the best.....no other player that I've seen has his all around skills.....

none

95332951_3294290540595782_5402397984476364800_n.jpg

53 mins ago, ovenrat said:

been watching the NHL now for at least 50 yrs.,  Flyers season tix for 33 yrs.

IMHO  this guy was the best .....if he played today he'd still be the best.....no other player that I've seen has his all around skills.....

none

95332951_3294290540595782_5402397984476364800_n.jpg

Agree 30000 Percent!!  When people call Gretzky or anyone else the Best, I go a linear.  NOBODY altered and dominated the game like Orr.

The finals of the 1972 Cup drove that home to this Ranger fan.  Orr could barely walk, but he'd limp onto the ice and destroy the Rangers.  Clearly the best to ever lace up skates, and a humble human.  Can any of you think of a professional athlete who would refund his paychecks because his injuries didn't allow him to play to his potential like Orr did with Chicago?   

Posted (edited) · Report post

LGR's since 67 warmed up to Espo just fine , and i cried when Eddie came back a Red wing .# 4 was a amazing player all time great 50 years later nothings changed . Awesome goal Bobby we'll never forget it 

Edited by TheKnot

Orr statue in front of the garden is on vacation.

Don't worry this isn't a Robert E Lee or Kate Smith removal

31 mins ago, iphish said:

Orr statue in front of the garden is on vacation.

Don't worry this isn't a Robert E Lee or Kate Smith removal

Crap, I thought I had the perfect alibi...