Frede

Have you nixed the plug bag?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Don't make me regret that I never got to see the good old days.

Don't worry in 25 years today will be the good ole days. Dont let it pass you by

17 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Don't worry in 25 years today will be the good ole days. Dont let it pass you by

On 5/9/2020 at 4:51 PM, Frede said:

12 lbs of plugs in a shoulder bag caused too much pain because I'm ancient.  Today I'm confident with 8 or 9 total items in a belt bag, but I want to lose that.  I see a lot of small belt pouches which have me thinking.....maybe a plano 2300 series for the treble lures in my top pocket and a pouch or two on the belt in lieu of the bulky plug bag.  Is anybody doing anything like this?        

I fish with 4 Tins & between 1-3 bazooka tubes on my belt. I use a Bucktail pouch for the Tins & I also keep a rinds holder on the belt - along with a Boga Grip and VanStall pliers. I also have a giant plug bag which I leave on shore or on the fat bike.

The Bucktail pouch can be loaded with all sorts of goodies including epoxy jigs and other metal objects :)))))

Soft plastics like Sluggos or Hogys & 9" Houdini Shads can be kept pre hooked in special freezer bags that are wide and shallow and you can store them rolled up inside a bazooka tube. :)))))

Lastly you can use a very small Plano box and you can fit all sorts of microbait in that such as Zoom SuperFlukes, small paddle tails, Silversides, Anchovy's..etc 

When I know certain bait is present such as springtime Sandeels or Peanuts or big Bunker ..etc I'll just pack accordingly.

Even though I have all that crap on me I wind up using the 4 different Charlie Graves tins that I rotate. They cover 90% of the smaller bait fish/forage. 

Do I have a couple of Mike's custom plugs on me at all times? Yup.

Do I have an after-hours rascal junior on me at all times? Pretty much. Yup.

The beauty of the belt system is that it's perfect for all that non heavily weighted stuff. 

The problem is when you get into different types of jig heads and what not and you're trying to walk around with 20 lb of lead strapped to your body. LOL

If I'm up on the canal which is becoming more of a rare occurrence for me due to the crowds, I just pack my plugs accordingly. 

I also carry a large, double deep plano box with emergency patterns. You'll find Mackerel and Mullet imitations in there along with big Menhaden & key Darters or Danny's or...other goodies:)))) one large box pretty much houses emergency plugs. generally I put this particular box inside a frame bag on the fat bike. That way, if unexpected **** hits the fan, at least I have a couple options. 

All this said one belt pouch, one pork rind container & A single bazooka tube is perfect for corousing.

If I'm fly fishing it's a single rod, A single real with two spools & one fly wallet extra large size plastic bag variety and a few plastic boxes with flies in them. Sometimes I'll throw the fly fishing equipment on the bike and take off with a couple of surf rods and my trusty belt and that's about it.

A big thing for me is balance. Have to counter balance the weight equally, I don't use a pole bag but have spent enough time up a pole in a belt and walking in it to have started to figure it out.

3 tube bag max for me, can get 5 or 6 plugs, or rearrange things to carry around some rigged eels. Have found that anything heavier starts to wear my shoulders down by the end of the night and I very rarely need all the extra stuff anyway

Many thanks for the thoughts and great suggestions.  I'm going to start with the tubes which are a must but they'll have to be cost effective/homemade.  Velcro grenade pouches and magazine holders are candidates.  Thinking outside the box, I'm constantly tripping over that 1950's USA Singer sewing machine sitting in my basement so there's that.          

Travel light!  Surf belt and a small surf bag with three tubes, 4-5 plugs 4 metals and some rubber paddle tails. Usually fish sandy beaches and try to cover as much beach as I can.

How I bring my plugs with me depends on where I'm fishing and how far I'm walking to fish. After foolish walking to a spot I frequent that consists of a mile plus walk with a heavy plug bag too many times I downsized. Cheap knock off military type sling bag with two home made pvc tubes and I pack light; One darter, one bottle plug, one needle, two minnow plugs a few bucktails and soft plastics and I'm good. Other spots where I don't walk as far I will bring the big plug back with more offerings. Early season like now I bring a plano box with some small offerings and throw it in a small backpack. For me it's like footwear. I don't wear korkers in the marsh or in the sand and I don't wear Crocs or hiking shoes on the slick rocks.