Frede

Have you nixed the plug bag?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

12 lbs of plugs in a shoulder bag caused too much pain because I'm ancient.  Today I'm confident with 8 or 9 total items in a belt bag, but I want to lose that.  I see a lot of small belt pouches which have me thinking.....maybe a plano 2300 series for the treble lures in my top pocket and a pouch or two on the belt in lieu of the bulky plug bag.  Is anybody doing anything like this?        

There are places I go with a Redfin, a bomber and a rigged eel. All three right in my jig pouch on my belt. No bag at all. Other places like the CCC I prefer a 3 tube with bigger plugs. 

9 mins ago, ged said:

There are places I go with a Redfin, a bomber and a rigged eel. All three right in my jig pouch on my belt. No bag at all. Other places like the CCC I prefer a 3 tube with bigger plugs. 

That 1st sentence sounds very old school lol.  Yeah "places" has a lot to do with the equation.  95% of the time I fish the same 6 or 7 locations.  A few of those require different approaches but 3 offerings would do it.   

My shoulder bag was causing some nerve pain, so I now use a 3 tube belt bag. It was 4- 2" tubes but I made it into 3- 2.5" tubes. The 2" tubes were just too small for my plugs and fingers. With the smaller capacity, than the shoulder bag, I have to do some planning on what to carry, tough  to leave that"favorite" in the truck. No matter what , it is a mess by the end of the session. 

I spend most of my time at the canal, and my plug bag goes from the truck, to the trike, to the rocks. I could carry half a tackle shop without a burden. 

Wetsuit? Then I take as little as possible. 

zbeltsurfcasting dot com . It's a weight belt type of belt where the bag can slide on. Save your back and your wading jacket from wear and tear.  

2 hours ago, ged said:

I spend most of my time at the canal, and my plug bag goes from the truck, to the trike, to the rocks. I could carry half a tackle shop without a burden. 

Wetsuit? Then I take as little as possible. 

I was in the Chatham area a few months back.  The canal/bike fishing looks very cool....no worries bringing the kitchen sink either.

2 hours ago, Ebbtide231 said:

6 tube bag, not overloaded, 1 tin, 3 bucktails.

It could be lighter....

:)

Like I said I use a 3 tube but it still seems to get overloaded.

2 hours ago, hobobob said:

zbeltsurfcasting dot com . It's a weight belt type of belt where the bag can slide on. Save your back and your wading jacket from wear and tear.  

Wow have you seen their home page....did not expect that but the belt looks awesome.

2 hours ago, Cascade said:

My shoulder bag was causing some nerve pain, so I now use a 3 tube belt bag. It was 4- 2" tubes but I made it into 3- 2.5" tubes. The 2" tubes were just too small for my plugs and fingers. With the smaller capacity, than the shoulder bag, I have to do some planning on what to carry, tough  to leave that"favorite" in the truck. No matter what , it is a mess by the end of the session. 

I'm pretty much the same regarding the pain AND the truck.  I have 3 totes in my shed organized off-season that stay in the truck during the season.  Waders in one tote....hats, gators and gloves go in the second.  The third has a large tackle box, bags of soft baits, Plano boxes and 4 plug bags.  The third tote is a mess after a few trips of switching lures in my bag depending on conditions, but it's far better (and less painful) than carrying everything.    

A bunch of years ago I had MAK build me an 8 tube bag that I carry around.  This year I have been using a single 3" tube by flatlander on my belt with pliers.  I can fit 3-5 plugs in it.  At certain times, this is all I need.

LOL. what can I say, nice "belt".  It does not work with my previous 2 tube plus bucktail pouch setup so I had to go back to my 3 tube all in one bag. You are limited to one bag section and one tool section, the tool section will greatly depends on your waist line. I had to mod a bit on my to get my plier sheath to fit. The box stitching was taken up too much space on the tool section so I took a razor blade to it cut a bit of the stitching off. Still a great belt with good support and ease of sliding. 

22 mins ago, Frede said:

Wow have you seen their home page....did not expect that but the belt looks awesome.

They know what sells.......:laugh:

Three tube Commando is now my go-to for most situations. If I'm going to be in my wetsuit or taking a long walk a two tube Gear Up on my belt is all I need. I still use a torn up old five tube Aquaskinz on the ditch if I want to carry more crap than I need.

1 hour ago, Frede said:

Wow have you seen their home page......

That is a very, very , VERY , nice

And the belt is not bad, too.

8 hours ago, Frede said:

12 lbs of plugs in a shoulder bag caused too much pain because I'm ancient.  Today I'm confident with 8 or 9 total items in a belt bag, but I want to lose that.  I see a lot of small belt pouches which have me thinking.....maybe a plano 2300 series for the treble lures in my top pocket and a pouch or two on the belt in lieu of the bulky plug bag.  Is anybody doing anything like this?        

Having a day and night lure bag helps from hurting your shoulder.

15 mins ago, sandworm said:

Having a day and night lure bag helps from hurting your shoulder.

Pack your bag before each trip with what you'll need depending on location, bait presence, conditions, etc. This way you'll have what you need and nothing more.

11 hours ago, hobobob said:

Hi - what size plug bag can/are you using on that belt?

Thanks.