Birdsnester

Leaky Bean Waders

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I am sure that this topic has been discussed, but what the heck..  So, I have Bean waders, sock foot style.  Since LL Bean has changed their warranty I can't return them so I need to fix them or buy new.  The problem seems to be around the area where the sock foot joins to the wader, at least that is what I think it is based on what's wet when I remove them.  

Any guidance on how to find the leak and how to fix it?  Also what if the leak is in the Neoprene itself and not the stitching or gluing where the sock joins the wader?

Thanks in advance.

The best way I have found to find a leak is to take the waders out in the sun. Stick your head in the waders and mark the spots the sun is shinning trough with a sharpie. You can do this with a flash light as well but  nothing works as good a sunshine. Find the hole and then use aqua seal to repair. Neoprene is tougher to find. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

Depending how old they are and if ya have a receipt they might help ya . Worth a shot if ya got a store local . What’s ya got to lose 

I'd also call the Freeport store (main number).  

Depending did you buy new or were they a replacement pair. I have upgraded replacement pair and I have every intention of holding them to the original purchase. 

I just had the same problem with mine. They were leaking at the sock area. I just filled it up with water and twist the leg a few times then squeeze it. The water came right of the hole. Let them dry then aqua seal the hole inside and out. Then I put that clear tape that comes with the waders inside and out over the Seal. Mine have held up well for a while now. 

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Depending how old they are and if ya have a receipt they might help ya . Worth a shot if ya got a store local . What’s ya got to lose 

I forget exactly how old but I know for sure it was just after the warranty change.  You're right though it's worth a try.  Thanks

34 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Depending did you buy new or were they a replacement pair. I have upgraded replacement pair and I have every intention of holding them to the original purchase. 

Ah, it was a replacement....  Good point.

Seams are a bit harder to deal with, but aqua seal should suffice if you find the location. Tenacious tape is also more or less a permanent repair, but I've never used it on a seam.

Someone mentioned to contact Bean so I did.  The idea that these waders were a replacement for another pair that I returned because they leaked never really dawned on me.  So I got with a Bean Chat person who recommended that I return them.  So, I did..... I won't know the outcome for a few weeks but shipping was free and I did return them because of a defective pair that was under the old warranty.  I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

On 5/9/2020 at 4:31 PM, Birdsnester said:

Someone mentioned to contact Bean so I did.  The idea that these waders were a replacement for another pair that I returned because they leaked never really dawned on me.  So I got with a Bean Chat person who recommended that I return them.  So, I did..... I won't know the outcome for a few weeks but shipping was free and I did return them because of a defective pair that was under the old warranty.  I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

How was the shipping free?

I used flex seal spray. I pulled my waders inside out and sprayed them with flex seal. So far I haven't had any leaks.