stewbaru

Getting into striper fishing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys, 

I'm looking to get into striper fishing and was hoping for some advice on gear. I'm most likely going to be fishing off jetties or piers in the MA/RI area, as well as the canal. I was checking out the St. Croix mojo inshore in a 7 foot 6 medium-heavy or heavy, with a Penn battle 2 or Daiwa bg for a reel, either 4000 or 5000 sizes. I also have an older  1o foot Penn pro guide surf rod (pgs1530s10) and a Penn 750ssm reel from my dad.  Should I save my money and use what I have, or do you think I should invest in the new setup? I was also thinking of running either 30 or 40 lb braid with a 50 lb fluorocarbon leader. Would that be a good choice for line? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. 

Edited by stewbaru

as someone who got back into fishing recently, i would definitely run the old stuff for a lil. figure out what you like and dont like about it and go from there. theres tons of deals to be had on the BST subforum and most of the popular tackleshops in the northeast run 10-15% sales from time to time. im down in NJ so fishing is a little different i suppose but i would go 9 or 10 foot rod personally. for newer budget reels, id go daiwa BG or penn spinfisher vi. BG if you want a workhorse, spinfisher if you want something sealed.

Save your money  for now and use what you have if you are baiting if you are strong enough to use your dad's tackle. You can research the MA/RI area and canal forum before you invest in the new setup.

I would fish with what you have and then buy when you need to. What kind of fishing do you do off jetties or piers in the MA/RI area, as well as the canal? If you fishing lures, you will need to learn from the locals here as I have learned. I can suggest lures here but only the locals here can help you figure out what works and what are just a waste of money.

I am all for starting out slowly and inexpensively.

You already have some useable gear so use it and get a feel for what works and what doesn’t.

It’s too easy to come to a place like this and get overwhelmed and confused by all the advice.

As nice as it is to have the latest versions of what’s currently fashionable in the tackle world, you don’t need it just to get out, catch fish and have fun.

Your Dads old gear sounds like a good start.

I use 30 lb braid with a 50 or 80 lb  Mono leader. 
A duo lock snap on the end of the leader makes for quick and secure lure changes.

Easy Peasy.

Don’t be so quick to run out and spend $$ on new gear until you start to figure out who you are as a fisherman and what your preferences are.

There'll be plenty of time to buy things when you get down the road a bit.

Have fun learning.

Cheers!

On 5/9/2020 at 0:07 AM, stewbaru said:

Hey Guys, 

I'm looking to get into striper fishing and was hoping for some advice on gear. I'm most likely going to be fishing off jetties or piers in the MA/RI area, as well as the canal. I was checking out the St. Croix mojo inshore in a 7 foot 6 medium-heavy or heavy, with a Penn battle 2 or Daiwa bg for a reel, either 4000 or 5000 sizes. I also have an older  1o foot Penn pro guide surf rod (pgs1530s10) and a Penn 750ssm reel from my dad.  Should I save my money and use what I have, or do you think I should invest in the new setup? I was also thinking of running either 30 or 40 lb braid with a 50 lb fluorocarbon leader. Would that be a good choice for line? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. 

You definitely don't want a 7' rod for fishing jetties. Most surfcasters use a 9, 10 or 11 foot rod in those areas. If you are mainly fishing jetties I would probably go for a 9 footer. Use your Dads rod at first to see if you like fishing a 10 footer. You can probably get a few seasons out of the battle 2 if you don't get it wet and take care of it. Rinse it with fresh water and dry it out after fishing. If you get that thing in the sand or saltwater a few times it will surely give out on you. 30lb Braid works, 50 pound fluoro leader is standard.

I started to surfcast about 11 years ago and my first rod was a 6'6 boat rod with a penn battle. All the plugs were given to me or found, and I used a modified lunchbox as my surf bag.  I caught a ton of fish and these were some of my fondest memories of my time spent fishing. Now I have expensive rods and a few van staals, but nothing beats the first few years of surfcasting. You don't want to start out with anything fancy; you won't be able to appreciate quality gear until you've used budget/scavenged gear!

I agree with everyone.... start with what you have.  NJ is prob different, but the conditions will likely be similar at times.....similar meaning harsh.  There's no REAL rules but Stripers mostly prefer sunset, night and very early morning.  To get fish you may need to be at a location at 4 am in 15 degree weather with a strong NE in your face.  Like me, many thrive in these conditions but some do not.  I've been asked at work "are you okay" and told "you look horrible" during a solid bass run when I fish all hours.  Those conditions require decent gear that will be specific to YOU and you won't know what you need to until you're out there a few times.  No sense plunking down your hard earned until you find out your needs.  Hunting for Stripers is addictive.....I've been at it for several decades and it never gets old.  Good luck and enjoy!        

3 hours ago, trwhite said:

You don't want to start out with anything fancy; you won't be able to appreciate quality gear until you've used budget/scavenged gear!

1+

Use this as a starting and reference point.

On 5/9/2020 at 0:07 AM, stewbaru said:

Hey Guys, 

I'm looking to get into striper fishing and was hoping for some advice on gear

Use what you have until you got familiar with fishing conditions you will be facing. You will find out most stuff by yourself what will be best for you and your stile of fishing.

Another thing is that what ever may be good for me and my kind of fishing it may not suit you and your fishing at all.

Do NOT go out and buy ODM, VS, Century and other expensive sh$$t that you may not need at all.

And after you decide what you may need, look in to BST forum here first.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/11-buyselltrade-forums/