mybeach

Anyone ever resurface a concrete driveway?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I’ve seen a couple dozen different products. Looking maybe for a color option, but mostly just a durable product that works. 

I am looking into adding color to my cement patio behind the house. Been reading and watching videos. So far.. nothing jumped out at me. 

Ah screw it. I’ll do it myself.

long ago I put some sika caulk in the cracks. That’s gotta go.

Grind em. The Diablo masonry wheel is actually really durable and cuts the concrete easily, even with my $20 angle grinder.

503772EC-1239-466D-9CDE-DDFA7E8A2B22.jpeg.d3ebb1af4f8e29c4040b3ac793b10671.jpeg963F664E-EBA7-4F7A-91AB-B8D1A9C87689.jpeg.b2ec74371413de4768b6ca111267ebe5.jpeg08D3C357-6FFE-490C-B739-6E2B14F16A68.jpeg.a486fd8f56a879b7ccdd5600b7e83d6c.jpeg

for resurfacing it's all about how clean/porous the existing surface is or can become to apply the "new" coating. Hard to do at some locales. If you handy look into Terra-Pro made by Siplast. Did a couple of parking garages/roof tops with the stuff. High difficulty level but the results were outstanding

I grounded out all the cracks and removed all the caulk. 

I used the rapidset blue bag and  filled and plastered all the cracks.

this stuff sets up very quickly. Only small batches, basically enough to do about 6/8 feet of crack at a time. 

important to sponge everything smooth to blend it in. 

I also snapped some lines and added “fake” expansion joints to match old to new.

3A8AE623-FD83-462E-B448-019E96F4E210.jpeg.16fa1b91b7d6432323135c0f1fbb3b75.jpeg

The cuts were made with the same diablo wheel first, and then I ran a masonry blade In my circular saw through them to deepen the cut and make it match.

It’s pretty amazing how you can grind concrete actually. 

Over the years, power washing the algae off, red dirt stains,cracks, etc. make the driveway old and decrepit. No acceptable. 

pressure washing tears the surface laters and the aggregate is exposed. 

im currently investigating a product called “daich coatings decorative concrete resurfaced” but unable to reach the mfgr in Canada.

I’m contemplating an old school technique of mixing up Portland cement into a paint like consistency and spreading it on with a brush. 

if that works as anticipated, I will probably stain the surface. 

You can apply this stuff with a squeegee like one that you use to spread black driveway sealer.

You make it quite thin and spread it very thin. If it isn't thin enough as you go, spray water on it and keep working that squeegee.

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 5.54.38 AM.png

Yes on driveways and sidewalks . It makes them look much better and then you can apply color on top

if you want. Normally I have used backer rods in  the larger cracks, after using a grinder like you did.

Cool Karp. 

doing a small section with the Portland paint for experimentation.

availability of these specialty products is very difficult here.