Changing year in the Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

It's my opinion that many of the dead fish in the canal are a result of high grading. Be it for commercial  or recreational purposes.  

For the commercial guy, a larger fish mean more money. He keeps a 35" fish to sell, then catches a 45" fish. He dumps the smaller, even if it's dead, since it's financially beneficial.

From a recreational point of view, Joe Polluka catches a 35" fish  is overjoyed and keeps it.  Gonna show all his friends, maybe even eat it. An hour later he gets a 45" fish, and he wants that for bragging rights. So the unscrupulous guy tosses the smaller, and keeps the larger.

This happens all the time, we see it every day.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Funny how comm fishing been going on there for decades with no issues until now. Also, what happens when the poaching, littering, trespassing,  etc all continue as it does normally before and after comm season begins and ends?. This is just an inroad to shutting it all down, be wary of what you are praising. 

21 mins ago, TonyO said:

Funny how comm fishing been going on there for decades with no issues until now. Also, what happens when the poaching, littering, trespassing,  etc all continue as it does normally before and after comm season begins and ends?. This is just an inroad to shutting it all down, be wary of what you are praising. 

They probably won't shut it down due to the local economic impact.  Every business owner on Cape Cod knows the pandemic is going to crush their business this year. Closing recreational fishing will only  exacerbate things.

But, if they close it, they close it. Life goes on.

The Sultan of Sluggo

It won’t look any different down there this season without the commercials. The recs are what has increased 100 fold in the last 5-10 years at the Canal. And the quality of the recs has dropped way off. The new crews are a bunch of loud mouth, littering, poaching fools. You will see no difference in what the Canal looks like. 

It only makes sense from a fishing standpoint if they are going to be increasing enforcement.  

Anyone with a fish over 30",  check em.

Anyone with more than one fish in their vicinity, check em.

Otherwise it's just a circle jerk.

That said, this change *is* more in line with the Corp's charter for the canal.  No commercial business other than boat travel.   The change doesn't have to have a lick to do with fishing or striper stocks.   We think it does, but it doesn't have to.   I'm sure the discussion probably went something like this:

A:  The canal is a zoo now.

Corp:  Well maybe we need to ban fishing?

C:  What about the commercial guys who fish there?  Can't they still fish?

Corp:  There are people doing that?  Oh that's gonna stop, right now.

DITCH TROLL

18 hours ago, jettyjockey18 said:

this one might be tough to enforce...but i appreciate the sentiment...

That will last until the first person goes to court and fights it. LEOs can't attach a presumption to a law or regulation that doesn't have one enacted into it. For example, the law expressly has a presumption of hi-grading if there's a live fish on a stringer. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

25 mins ago, Tailslap said:

It won’t look any different down there this season without the commercials. The recs are what has increased 100 fold in the last 5-10 years at the Canal. And the quality of the recs has dropped way off. The new crews are a bunch of loud mouth, littering, poaching fools. You will see no difference in what the Canal looks like. 

How do you know who is a rec and who is a commercial? There may be a lot more commercial guys than you think.
I’m sure the ACOE will still be keeping a list of of all the fishing related problems this year and if it doesn’t improve they’ll shut it all down. There’s not much that can be done if they present a book with years worth’s of problems and say this is why we’re shutting it down.  

2 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

That will last until the first person goes to court and fights it. LEOs can't attach a presumption to a law or regulation that doesn't have one enacted into it. For example, the law expressly has a presumption of hi-grading if there's a live fish on a stringer. 

How about 15 large fish in the trunk of a small car with a female at the wheel?

The Sultan of Sluggo

Personally, I'd like to see "warning" signs posted up and down the canal, like they did after that whackjob fired a plug and hit the boat. Imo, this seemed to get the message out and, I believe, promoted a behavior change that fishermen must let boats pass before they cast.

This time, they could have the signs say something to the effect:

"After a littany of resident and town complaints in 2019, ACOE is considering closing the canal to all fishing. Further documented instances of loud noise, fighting, public urination/defecation, boat pinging, and non-adherence to current social distancing guidelines will not be tolerated -- and will result in a vote by ACOE to immediately suspend all angling privileges along the canal"

Just my .02

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

4 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

1 @ 50"   

Make all the newbs and googs go home empty handed.  They'll stop fishing.

That’s the thing about the canal. Even the newbs and googs can get a 50-inch fish when they’re all commiting suicide on the surface. 

7 hours ago, stripedbassjeff said:

Catch and release lures only will solve the rest of the issues. That would keep the litter, beer cans, riff raff and competition to a minimum. 

idk I do much more damage to the fish with my double treble hook plugs in fast current than when I'm chunking bait with a single circle hook at slack tide....

The high grading should  stop once to 35".

I mean, ....disrespectfully observing...high graders at least have the 'conscience'...(?).. to know  to only  keep the bag limit of one fish.

Otherwise..if you're  going to  poach..why even  stop from keeping all that are caught?....just  say'in