Angler #1

Changing year in the Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

291 posts in this topic

pending finalization of all legal matters . Division Of Marine  Fisheries has declared a 90 day emergency closure to all commercial fishing inside of the Cape Cod Canal. No hearings will be conducted due to the virus outbreak , thus an emergency declaration is being declared with the Army Corps cooperation . They are hoping to have it approved by June First or before the bass season starts in June. It will now become an easy task for environmental police to enforce the one single fish of less than 35 inches as No one will be allowed to have in possession any fish greater than that size . This has been a long over due process given all of the Poaching that has occurred along these waters over the past several years . Some will be upset and some will not . This also meets the mission of the Army Corp in the realm of Recreational fishing where as commercial fishing is not part of there mission statement when it comes to recreational use of these waters. The source of my information is both from the State and Federal officers that have been working on this for some time and when it is finalized every one will get the information in public releases from the various departments involved. Peace and Prayers

Wowza! Thats a big one!

I can hear the backfire already from comms.....but isn't this also one step closer to closing the canal to fishing for everyone?

With out question this will change how every one will now fish the Cape Cod Canal at least for this year and hopefully into the future . My research all began by a question from a friend of mine who lives in another state calls and tells me he had heard that the canal would be closed to commercial fishing this summer . So after I find out what i just posted I call him and he asked me if on the commercial days if he has the permit if he can keep any fish greater than 35 inches . I explain that as it is presently being legally worked on and is approved you will not be able to keep any fish over 35 inches. He asks me what will he do with the $265 permit he just bought for out of state fishermen I tell him find some one with a boat or learn how to catch fish from the beach . He was not a happy camper as over the past years he has done very well catching and selling fish from the Cape Cod Canal  . This should be a life saver for the fish that come through these waters and help to make  this a  pure recreational hot spot.  Once it is finalized, history will be made and help to keep these waters a family recreational place like it once was. . Glad to see at least some support in this process. Peace and Prayers

When I cribbed at BSP, a number of fellow seasonal campers had commercial licenses and hauled commercial size bass from the Canal and did fairly well money wise.

This is going break their hearts.

4 mins ago, FishRatz said:

Wowza! Thats a big one!

I can hear the backfire already from comms.....but isn't this also one step closer to closing the canal to fishing for everyone?

FishRatz that can never happen as the mission statement by the Army Corp is to enhance all recreational use and fishing in this case is very, prime  and important in managing these waters

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

I would like to see some sort of verification on both State and Federal level...…………...

Bernie you will in about a couple more weeks as the paper work catches up to the approval by the Lawyers handling the legal aspect of the 90 day emergency bt the Division Of marine Fisheries 

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Division Of Marine  Fisheries has declared a 90 day emergency closure to all commercial fishing inside of the Cape Cod Canal.

They should make this permanent.

38 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Some will be upset

Who cares. They had their chance. What did they do? Resort to poaching, high grading and abusing the resource in the worse possible manner.

Edited by zak-striper

2 mins ago, zak-striper said:

They should make this permanent.

I am sure that will happen, however in order to do that they must have hearings . This will take on more legs as the year comes to a close where they can get away from this social distancing presently in voked

13 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

I am sure that will happen, however in order to do that they must have hearings ………………………………………….

I'd be most interested in hearing what the "commercials" will have to say at these hearings