blake30615

Jet boat vs. Outboard.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I’m looking to buy a 21’ fishing boat. What do you think?  I live on a canal in Bellmore, LI and want to fish the bays, inlet and close Inshore ocean just outside Jones inlet. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, blake30615 said:

Why

I've never driven a jet drive, but from what I've read, they are harder to steer, louder, and look like they're harder to maintain. Imagine if you got fishing line stuck in the jet drive. Take what I think with a grain of salt, just my opinion. 

I've wrapped fishing line around my outboard several times. Lucky for me I was able to lift the engine out of the water while still on the water and cut it off without any major issue. Can't imagine what it would take to do something like that with a jet drive.

Edited by drumsfield

1 hour ago, blake30615 said:

Why

besides the myriad of reasons why, add to them the fact that there is like zero resale value on them

Jet drives are hard to maintain and extra expensive to work on. The impeller sucks everything up and also you cannot steer even the slightest without decent throttle so maneuvering  Can be tricky in a pinch. Usually jet drive boats are lighter than outboards so handling chop can be a little rockier. Additionally thinking long term, there is no repowering a jet drive that I know of, can get a new outboard off the shelf. I would go outboard everyday if salt water. 

Edited by Cmansfield67

you lose 30% of your horsepower with a jet due to the inefficiency of the jet over a prop. Just a few weeds rocks or sticks in the grate will just about stop the squirt then you have to clean out the grate. BUT they are great in shallow clean water, as long as you can't see the seagulls legs you can go there !5eb65a5a9725d_copperriverjetrig.jpg.dcddf2ebb228c624e07743d0f91ee631.jpg

Edited by alaskansteve

22 hours ago, Cmansfield67 said:

Jet drives are hard to maintain and extra expensive to work on. The impeller sucks everything up and also you cannot steer even the slightest without decent throttle so maneuvering  Can be tricky in a pinch. Usually jet drive boats are lighter than outboards so handling chop can be a little rockier. Additionally thinking long term, there is no repowering a jet drive that I know of, can get a new outboard off the shelf. I would go outboard everyday if salt water. 

The jets are easily replaced they are driven by a separate motor. Not cheap though.

No reason for a jet unless you plan on running skinny rocky water.

You do loose 30% over a prop

They are not that hard to steer except reverse so no clue why anyone would post that.

They take a lot more then a little rocks or sticks or seaweed to clog.  Your prop and water intakes will clog or bind well before a jet will.

Around here (Pa) the resale is way higher becuase they are primo for river fishing.  Rocks eat props bad jets skim along in 3 inches of water.

SMH

Edited by Captain Ahab

2 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

No reason for a jet unless you plan on running skinny rocky water.

You do loose 30% over a prop

They are not that hard to steer except reverse so no clue why anyone would post that.

They take a lot more then a little rocks or sticks or seaweed to clog.  Your prop and water intakes will clog or bind well before a jet will.

Around here (Pa) the resale is way higher becuase they are primo for river fishing.  Rocks eat props bad jets skim along in 3 inches of water.

SMH

They aren't hard to steer except in reverse? Isn't that a contradiction? Why would anyone say they're harder to steer? Because it's true. SMH

Resale value good because they're primo for river fishing? Maybe in Colorado, but where there's ocean everyone wants an outboard. Why would anyone post that? 

Edited by drumsfield

38 mins ago, drumsfield said:

They aren't hard to steer except in reverse? Isn't that a contradiction? Why would anyone say they're harder to steer? Because it's true. SMH

Resale value good because they're primo for river fishing? Maybe in Colorado, but where there's ocean everyone wants an outboard. Why would anyone post that? 

I ran a jet for years and steering was fine, reverse was not a big deal but just not as responsive as a prop, the boat had no problem turning backwards or forwards.  If you ever get a chance to run one you will see.  I think what you mean is a tunnel jet through hull, not an outboard. They are similar to running straight inboards with a rudder.     

I agree along the ocean no need.  But where I fish (NE / SE PA) every Delaware River Rat wants a jet.  Same goes for Susky and most other rivers from NC to MA

Jet boats are in high demand and they rend to hold their resale value.

Anyway, the OP certainly has no need for a jet boat to fish the bays and beaches of LI (unless he wants to do the mid to upper Hudson, Housatonic, etc.  Nothing beats shooting up or down a river and not worrying about ripping off your lower unit     

Edited by Captain Ahab

Is it also true that jet boats need to be kept out of saltwater when not in use (ie, on a lift or trailer) as growth will accumulate in the intake