JaseB

The Tavern Birdfeeder

Rate this topic

307 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, rocco said:

sounds like a scarlet tanager. the breeding male is pretty much the reddest red i have ever seen :th: 

Yup definitely it . And yes amazingly red . Was watching the oriels bounce around above me and then I’m like wtf is that .. pretty bird 

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Yup definitely it . And yes amazingly red . Was watching the oriels bounce around above me and then I’m like wtf is that .. pretty bird 

they're one of my favorites. a lot more common than you might think, but you have to look up to see it and it does need larger patches of mature deciduous forest for breeding habitat. helps to learn its song and call it you want to find them regularly. 

16 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

@rocco

today at Blydenburgh .. red as fuuuuklk with black sides maybe size of a large sparrow . Female looked like a sparrow pretty much .. wtf was It ? Never seen anything like here 

Blydenburg gets some crazy stuff!  When I was a kid working there, a flock of Fulvous Tree Ducks showed up for a couple of days!  Saw Prothonotary Warblers there too! 

11 hours ago, rocco said:

sounds like a scarlet tanager. the breeding male is pretty much the reddest red i have ever seen :th: 

They make cardinals look dull.

Saw our first scarlet tanager of the year yesterday (no pics). Wife also saw some blue footed boobies in Mexico.

FCB91B60-6FBA-4856-B2A0-7741E2C4EEA8.jpeg.f77560a76a82a6bc96a72712df840e5e.jpeg

Finally have hummingbirds. Makes me wonder where they've been.

Just seeing a couple here too.  Also a pair of cedar waxwings which didn’t used to be rare. 

And juvy robins are a truly ugly bird. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, JimW said:

Just seeing a couple here too.  Also a pair of cedar waxwings which didn’t used to be rare. 

And juvy robins are a truly ugly bird. 

My sister days she is seeing more now too. Suggested that it may be that they are starting to move south. 

I've been starving my birds. The grackles and starlings were decimating my feeders. Been almost two months since I filled mine. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

My sister days she is seeing more now too. Suggested that it may be that they are starting to move south. 

the males don't help with incubation or raising young at all, so they move around a lot more and with breeding season winding down, some are probably already migrating south. and with breeding season more or less over, the females are moving around more too, as well as the recently fledged young. 

On 6/13/2022 at 7:01 PM, Wheeler said:

Saw our first scarlet tanager of the year yesterday (no pics). Wife also saw some blue footed boobies in Mexico.

FCB91B60-6FBA-4856-B2A0-7741E2C4EEA8.jpeg.f77560a76a82a6bc96a72712df840e5e.jpeg

THEY CHIT A LOT

17 mins ago, MikeMc said:

I've been starving my birds. The grackles and starlings were decimating my feeders. Been almost two months since I filled mine. 

I switched to these feeders. Filled with mixed finch seed. Getting Finches, Chickadees, woodpeckers. Occasional J amd cardinals work on them. The mesh seems too small for grackle and starling beaks.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002M332N0?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_quicklook_titleToDp

1 hour ago, looney tunes said:

I have at least 6 hummingbirds buzzing around possibly more.

Been seeing them here since May