Sevendust111

How much mono backing for braid?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I want to put 10lb braid on my Daiwa Fuego LT 2500. I currently have 10lb Spiderwire Ultimate mono on it and I hate it so I want to use as backing. Walmart has 10lb Power Pro but only in 150yards. I don’t like to have my reels super full, but I don’t want to throw on the braid and have too much space to the point that I have reduced casting distance. How much mono should I leave on? Half the reel? A quarter? Here are the stats...

B6CCC3AC-BC83-44B3-B20C-FFA154AA6C1D.jpeg

Use a drill and an empty line spool to strip your reel. Fully spool your reel with braid. Attach the mono to the braid and finish filling the reel spool to the desired amount of line. The mono should now be on top with the braid underneath. Use an empty spool and drill to strip the backing and braid from the reel spool. Reverse the line onto another spool so the mono is now on top. Attach the backing and fill your reel spool. 

The whole process is a bit time consuming and tedious going back and forth between spools but it ensures a perfectly filled spool each time.

32 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Use a drill and an empty line spool to strip your reel. Fully spool your reel with braid. Attach the mono to the braid and finish filling the reel spool to the desired amount of line. The mono should now be on top with the braid underneath. Use an empty spool and drill to strip the backing and braid from the reel spool. Reverse the line onto another spool so the mono is now on top. Attach the backing and fill your reel spool. 

The whole process is a bit time consuming and tedious going back and forth between spools but it ensures a perfectly filled spool each time.

genius

3 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I started reading and was like this is so unnecessary, then when you reverse the spool and now have the backing it would be perfect every single time!!! This is so perfect! Thanks man I will def try this. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 spool trick works.  I use two beater reels to to this 

Just use tape to attach the line until you fill your reel then the arbor knot 

Edited by Captain Ahab

You can easily teach yourself what 1 yard pull would be.

End of line in 1 hand pull 1 yard. You can get a tape and practice.

So your mono is 2X dia of braid check box for dia.

Pull 50 yards of mono off put braid on.

2 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

3 spool trick works.  I use two beater reels to to this 

Just use tape to attach the line until you fill your reel then the arbor knot 

I went to my local tackle shops and asked me if I could buy an empty spool. He gave me one. Problem solved.

These ideas are great but I don’t have spare spools or a drill. The mono is already on and I really didn’t want to take it off. Plus if I buy 150y of braid that won’t be enough to fill the reel. 

4 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

These ideas are great but I don’t have spare spools or a drill. The mono is already on and I really didn’t want to take it off. Plus if I buy 150y of braid that won’t be enough to fill the reel. 

Fill your spool 1/3 with the backing bring it to a shop and have them fill the rest of the spool with braid. Since you dont have to stuff to do it yourself 

With no tools needed:

Go to a big field.

Walk out old mono.

Crank on new braid.

Tie braid to old mono.  

Crank on old mono til spool filled.  

Gather old mono for disposal.

Walk out old mono/braid.

Go to old mono end, crank on old mono/braid.

3 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Fill your spool 1/3 with the backing bring it to a shop and have them fill the rest of the spool with braid. Since you dont have to stuff to do it yourself 

I think this is where I am headed. This all seems like too much work haha. I rather just spend more money. I called my bait shop. They have 10lb and are willing to do it.