bob_G

Hot air fryers, opinions

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'm seeing more and more of them in tv. Looks like a nice replacement for our toaster oven.

Are they really a hot air fryer, or really a mini super charged countertop convection oven?

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Are they really a hot air fryer, or really a mini super charged countertop convection oven?

They are the latter. A larger table top convection/toaster oven would be a replacement for a toaster oven and be close to what an airfryer is as well. We use our airfryer a lot for say 4 chicken thighs or wings ect. They come out really well, veggies also come out well and it's very good for reheating chicken to recrisp it. I like that mine is not digital, just time and temp dials. We use ours' all the time.

Got a new one for Christmas. Does a good job but get's wicked hot underneath. Too hot for my liking, so I have to put it on a wood cutting board lest it crack my stone counter top. It takes up too much space on the counter top, so it's going into the garage on the shelf with two other similar, barely used appliances.  Friends know we cook well, and mistakenly gift us any "new/better" cooking gizmo, when we would love a nice big cast iron pan or pot set. 

Oh well. 

It's between a toaster and a convection oven. So you are pretty much right about a super charged oven.

Depends on what you do with it to be honest. I've toast, fry (french fries), cook pot roast, chicken nuggets (home made and frozen), breaded fish etc.

The problem is most of the one out there is small and you can only cook a small portion. Bigger one takes up too much countertop space. I had a smaller one and upgraded to a slightly bigger one with the pull door with 2 trays and a rotisserie function.(forgot the size).

These make crispy wings real quick and good.

Love mine for cooking french fries & other frozen potato products. cooks pre made frozen hot wings pretty good. Dont expect it to take the place of conventional deep frying thou.  

1 hour ago, vce12342000 said:

Love mine for cooking french fries & other frozen potato products. cooks pre made frozen hot wings pretty good. Dont expect it to take the place of conventional deep frying thou.  

That is what my wife does with hers.   Supposedly it is healthier than the deep fryer. 

She puts a light mist of light olive oil on stuff and it comes out great.  Nice crisp but a lighter texture than deep frying.

26 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

She puts a light mist of light olive oil on stuff and it comes out great.  Nice crisp but a lighter texture than deep frying.

thats the main reason I purchased 1 for the healthier option to deep frying. The misting of oil works really well 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like mine a lot,when I don't feel like outdoor grilling the AF does a pretty good piece of chicken.Some veggys work good as well.Look at some you tube reviews,an AF with a basket is the kind I would suggest,you can shake the basket to expose different sides.The kind that are more like an oven are messier if you turn over the chicken,as you have to pull out the rack.

One of the advantages is it gets hot quickly,no waiting for a full size oven to get up to temp.I put it on the porch in the summer.

Edited by Jetty Jumper

Mine was a gift. I use grape seed oil. It makes crispy "air fried" mushrooms that are delicious.

Onion rings,jalapenos,shrimp are all good.

Scrapple cooks well also.

That's it for now.

What SIM above says is true. Thing is I haven't really found any place that doesn't have saturated oil in their deep fried foods-so I gave them up.

The air fryer gives a decent replacement for those foods.

One thing I couldn't figure out is with is frying semi-"wet" food. Something like fish will give out a bit more moisture when cooked and make the outside batter soggy due to the water content. 

Instead of replacing a toaster oven with an air fryer, just get a new toaster oven with an air fryer (rack and convection fan) setting.  We just got the one below to replace a 15-year old toaster oven.  It's great so far.  Can do 6 slices of toast, rotisserize a whole chicken, crisp up wings nicely, and act as a dehydrator for jerky.   We use it for something or other pretty much daily. 

5eb8b825c5ec6_ScreenShot2020-05-10at10_27_17PM.png.0c707ed714a1240ee1633c561b240ae7.png

4 mins ago, fishfood said:

Instead of replacing a toaster oven with an air fryer, just get a new toaster oven with an air fryer (rack and convection fan) setting.  We just got the one below to replace a 15-year old toaster oven.  It's great so far.  Can do 6 slices of toast, rotisserize a whole chicken, crisp up wings nicely, and act as a dehydrator for jerky.   We use it for something or other pretty much daily. 

5eb8b825c5ec6_ScreenShot2020-05-10at10_27_17PM.png.0c707ed714a1240ee1633c561b240ae7.png

Really? Can rotisserie a whole chicken? :naughty:

I usually spin chickens outside on my old weber gas grill rotisserie, but this does a good job with a little 4lb bird.  I had never even heard of this appliance company before.  It might end up being a piece of crap, but so-far-so-good a few weeks in.   Between cooking and home projects, I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy with new gadget and tool purchases. 5eb8c9963cd78_ScreenShot2020-05-10at11_38_48PM.png.bf9cceec5cfcaec32577299bed7aec2c.png