JPSmith29

SS Darters

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

The only darters that I have ever thrown are wallys and I’ve only thrown them at the canal. I’ve only been using them for 2 seasons. I recently bought 2 super strike darters on sale and have tried test casting them a few times and have not been able to tell if they are working or not. With the wallys I’ve always been able to feel the zig zag motion but I do not feel anything with the SS. I’ve tested them at a spot where a river empties out and works it’s way through some sand bars so I know there is current but I still don’t feel any indication of a zig zag action. Is this normal? 

Take 2 or 3 fast cranks as the plug hits the water. Youll feel the darter bite the water and then its weight. The plug will do the rest of the work for you. The plug has a wide zig zag pattern. 

If you have a sensitive rod you will feel the pulse of the darter rolling. Not much current is needed to keep the plug dug in. 

1 hour ago, JPSmith29 said:

The only darters that I have ever thrown are wallys and I’ve only thrown them at the canal. I’ve only been using them for 2 seasons. I recently bought 2 super strike darters on sale and have tried test casting them a few times and have not been able to tell if they are working or not. With the wallys I’ve always been able to feel the zig zag motion but I do not feel anything with the SS. I’ve tested them at a spot where a river empties out and works it’s way through some sand bars so I know there is current but I still don’t feel any indication of a zig zag action. Is this normal? 

When I first started fishing the SS darter, it was harder to feel at times as well, but that was due to me not being used to fishing it. Like the above post said, you should take a few fast cranks to get the plug to dig. You should definitely feel the plug and see your rod tip move a bit. I think its just a matter of time until you are used to fishing this darter. I don't fish without one in my bag, so don't lose faith in them :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, JPSmith29 said:

Yes it's normal on the SS.

You are comparing one of the world's most HYPER action darters (Wally's) to possibly the world's most dead action darters (SS). Those two darters are on two opposite ends of the spectrum. They are two completely different animals.

The SS often times feels like a fat needle on the end of the line. If you have a rear treble hook, replace it with a bucktail siwash or better yet a bucktail flag. This will increase action greatly. Besides... There's no need for a rear treble/hook if your after bass anyway. In fact, I wish it was illegal. 

The Wally on the other hand, you can feel the thumping. It swims very alive and in an unpredictable pattern. 

Both are good darters. Each tool is fished differently. 

Edited by night owl

I’ve been doing that, fishing the exact same way I’d fish the wallys. Couple fast cranks until I feel weight then back off to a crawl. I think it may just be as night owl said that the SS has much less action than the wallys so I just need to get used to it. I’m heading out tonight so I’m gonna force myself to try it for at least 20 minutes and see if I can get a feel for it. Thanks for the input guys!

Also I always hear yellow darter yellow darter but it’s mostly from people fishing around Long Island and what not. Any other color recommendations for Massachusetts? Buzzards bay specifically

I never had any problem feeling a plastic SS darter work and I was using them since day zero (literally).

35 mins ago, JPSmith29 said:

I’ve been doing that, fishing the exact same way I’d fish the wallys. Couple fast cranks until I feel weight then back off to a crawl. I think it may just be as night owl said that the SS has much less action than the wallys so I just need to get used to it. I’m heading out tonight so I’m gonna force myself to try it for at least 20 minutes and see if I can get a feel for it. Thanks for the input guys!

Also I always hear yellow darter yellow darter but it’s mostly from people fishing around Long Island and what not. Any other color recommendations for Massachusetts? Buzzards bay specifically

I personally wouldn't sweat color too much, I suspect yellow around LI due to the prevelance of bunker as the most common bait, and yellow is a very useful color along most if not all of the striper coast due to its high visibility in the color spectrum of the stripers' eye (or so I've read...) 

I usually go with a K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) method of color selection on all my lures:  black(ish), white(ish), and chartreuse/parrot

27 mins ago, SC said:

I never had any problem feeling a plastic SS darter work and I was using them since day zero (literally).

^ This guy knows things 

2 hours ago, JPSmith29 said:

don't worry about color so much - have a dark and light color (white & black/purple always in my bag) and start there

cast out, take up the slack and give the rod a sweep and you'll feel it dig and know its working

from there slow steady retrieve

once you get it down you won't have to do the sweep anymore

Also, while retrieving, don't be afraid to give the rod a pump to make sure you feel it dig.  if its not dug in you'll know.

These are some tips that should help you build more confidence in the plug.

Good luck - the super strike darter is my top producing lure year in and year out - and yes i fish it in buzzards bay

Normal.  Its a feel plug.

However I have had bad plugs so make sure the plug is sound (no water inside, loose weights, flipping out)...

3 hours ago, JPSmith29 said:

You won't go wrong fishing a yellow zigzag.

You will not feel an Ss darter work or zig zag. It’s is a plastic plug and extremely consistent. Every one will swim the same right out of the box. What you should feel is the weight of the plug get heavier on the initial dig after you cast it. Keep that pressure on the plug throughout the retrieve. You can give your tip small taps to increase the action. In little to no current use stronger taps to get it to zig zag.  Trust me when I say it is swimming like it should. They all do. I think the Wallys are 3 oz and have a wider lip... no? I have a few but can’t remember if that’s the case.  That would be the reason you are feeling it a little better. 

I don’t own one that doesn’t work. Like explained by others, have a light one, a dark one and something funky Just in case. This is one of the best lures in your bag, you just need to give it a chance to prove itself. Use a different darter for more action, or a metal lip. The SS works just fine as it is.
I still give a twitch every 3-5 cranks just to know it’s there. That also causes it to dart (had to fix that, autocorrect changed it to “fart”.

11 hours ago, Billwetzel said:

You will not feel an Ss darter work or zig zag. It’s is a plastic plug and extremely consistent. Every one will swim the same right out of the box. What you should feel is the weight of the plug get heavier on the initial dig after you cast it. Keep that pressure on the plug throughout the retrieve. You can give your tip small taps to increase the action. In little to no current use stronger taps to get it to zig zag.  Trust me when I say it is swimming like it should. They all do. I think the Wallys are 3 oz and have a wider lip... no? I have a few but can’t remember if that’s the case.  That would be the reason you are feeling it a little better. 

This is good to know. I will really try to pay attention to feeling the weight of the plug rather than trying to feel the taps of the zig zag action

11 hours ago, baldwin said:

This is one of the best lures in your bag, you just need to give it a chance to prove itself.

This has been my problem I think, just not having the confidence in it. Gonna force myself to throw it for a while next time I’m out