DEmaggIRI

ODM warranty ???

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

anyone have any expierence with odm warranty...my 9ft genesis snapped last night after only a few uses, and it was NOT highsticked or handled roughly..simply throwing bucktail it was rated for...My phone call with there rep left me with no real options other than purchasing an 80$ top section..

is that par for the course?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that is normal.  I broke a stcorix  with a warranty and I paid 80 bucks.  Those dudes are good guys they are not out to get anybody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, crazybellringer said:

I think that is normal.  I broke a stcorix  with a warranty and I paid 80 bucks.  Those dudes are good guys they are not out to get anybody. 

I mean, $80 for a brand new rod is kinda insane. At that point I’m taking it back to the shop if it’s within their returns period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$80 dollar repair for a 300+ dollar rod isn’t a bad deal...but then again, if it’s new....there should be a warranty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, ASrod said:

I mean, $80 for a brand new rod is kinda insane. At that point I’m taking it back to the shop if it’s within their returns period.

 

I break rods so usually I buy rods with warranties. Some times it's my fault some times it's not.  I only broke 2 last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

You should not pay a single cent If indeed the rod is under warranty and it’s not a user error.


 

Edited by levari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

 

I break rods so usually I buy rods with warranties. Some times it's my fault some times it's not.  I only broke 2 last year. 

Same here. From here on out I plan on owning Lamiglas exclusively. Solid warranties and fantastic rods. Got rid of my ODM to get a Lami that has a lifetime warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

They are the best in the business. I don’t think it’s lifetime. I think it’s for one year. I never had anything break but most of the time it was either hit by something that you didn’t realize or high sticking. That’s a good price. Try to deal with lamiglas. Slowest in the business.

Edited by Steve_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, levari said:

You should not pay a single cent If indeed the rod is under warranty and it’s not a user error.


 

that was my impression as well..there customer service told me that A) that its extremely unlikely your rod broke from a mechanical defect...B) THEY WILL KNOW whether or not it was a mechanical defect or user error after examining the rod and then make there decsiosion...and were talking about a month or two before this is settled and whose to say they wont just sayn theres no way its on us

or pay 80$ knowing if i waited and went the other route i MAY get it fully covered 

meanwhile im waist deep in some fish and id like to get back out there asap..

 

r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, DEmaggIRI said:

that was my impression as well..there customer service told me that A) that its extremely unlikely your rod broke from a mechanical defect...B) THEY WILL KNOW whether or not it was a mechanical defect or user error after examining the rod and then make there decsiosion...and were talking about a month or two before this is settled and whose to say they wont just sayn theres no way its on us

or pay 80$ knowing if i waited and went the other route i MAY get it fully covered 

meanwhile im waist deep in some fish and id like to get back out there asap..

 

r

Why do you think it would take such a long time for them to inspect the rod? Shipping takes about 3 days and you should have it back a week later.. 

However you will need to keep in mind that shipping is on you and you are talking about $40 both ways... 

Edited by levari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 mins ago, Steve_M said:

They are the best in the business. I don’t think it’s lifetime. I think it’s for one year. I never had anything break but most of the time it was either hit by something that you didn’t realize or high sticking. That’s a good price. Try to deal with lamiglas. Slowest in the business.

Lami was pretty damn prompt when I had an issue with a rod a year or so back. I couldn't have been happier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ODM makes a nice rod but the warranty is too short for such a high end item.

I stick with St. Croix and Lamiglas.

Great warranty and US made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats one hell of a warranty, buy a new section or send the broken one in and we'll drag our feet then tell you its your fault and you need to buy a new section anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, recoil said:

ODM makes a nice rod but the warranty is too short for such a high end item.

I stick with St. Croix and Lamiglas.

Great warranty and US made.

You will never hear from these two companies that it is extremely unlikely that the rod had a defect. What’s the point of the ODM warranty if it is extremely unlikely they will honor the warranty?

Edited by levari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Really sucks if it’s a true manufacturing defect. Not necessarily you, but tons of factors in breakage, storage conditions, transportation, casting style(snap casting, overthrowing and not properly loading), lures used, fish fighting, laying the rod down, accidental drops. 


I know a lot of people also like the lightest rods possible, but inherently I would think you are going to be sacrificing some durability the thinner you go on the rod walls. 

 

I’d be thrilled to be offered a $80 top section replacement on a $300 plus rod. I’d be interested in a data analysis, but I’m wondering what the manufacturing defect rate is, <1%, <5%. I’ve cut through a few rods types to send the blank, and I’m amazed at how durable and hard to break they are. I’ve only broken 2 rods, both of my own fault and unfortunately I think that will be more of the norm going forward, less no questions asked and more scrutiny over warranty claims or offering discounted replacements. See if you have a good relationship with the shop and maybe they can try to help. 


By all means, try to push for manufacturer support, but I actually see their side of the response.

Edited by Searobin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.