TinyTrout

Tsunami Airwave Elite 8'-8" or 9'-6"?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I am considering scooping one of these up as I have been finding my 9' Triumph a little bit too stiff and want something more moderate/light. I was wondering if some of you guys can provide some insight which one would be better for me based on my locations/lures. I typically fish open ocean beaches and back bay spots usually on calm days. Plan on pairing it with a Slammer III 4500. I am also never on the jetty so I don't mind a slightly lighter powered rod. Has any one used both and can provide me some insight?

Typical lures:

1/2 oz bucktail + ottertail

1 1/4 oz Hydro Minnow (minnow)

3/4 oz Hopkins Shorty (metal)

1 1/2 oz Pt. Jude Pojee (metal)

1 1/2 oz Little Neck (popper)

1 5/8 oz Surface Cruiser (pencil)

2 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

The 8’8

That's what I am leaning towards but don't want to get a stick that's too light. Unfortunately I can't go play with them in the store until this whole thing is over so I may have to wait until then.

My “plug” rod is 8’.  The 9’6” sounds like a surf rod deal. Not sure how much distance you need, but I’d think that big of a rod would be tiring after awhile. Right now I leave the plug rod home and I’m casting no more than 3/4 oz stuff pretty far off the sodbank. With a 7’ Tsunami Carbon Shield II. Love the rod so much I bought a second one. 
I’ll use the plug rod in the surf in the fall.

I have them both and I think either would work for what you described.  I would probably lean toward the 8'8" just because its a little lighter.  BTW, I have both of them paired with the Slammer III 4500.

5 mins ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I have them both and I think either would work for what you described.  I would probably lean toward the 8'8" just because its a little lighter.  BTW, I have both of them paired with the Slammer III 4500.

How does it handle 1 1/2 oz for you? I think I've seen some folks on here say it's good to 2 oz and others say only up to 1 oz... Makes it tough for me to decide since that is such a big variance. 

9 hours ago, Retainer said:

My “plug” rod is 8’.  The 9’6” sounds like a surf rod deal. Not sure how much distance you need, but I’d think that big of a rod would be tiring after awhile. Right now I leave the plug rod home and I’m casting no more than 3/4 oz stuff pretty far off the sodbank. With a 7’ Tsunami Carbon Shield II. Love the rod so much I bought a second one. 
I’ll use the plug rod in the surf in the fall.

I really think I just prefer fishing with a longer rod. I have an 8'er that I don't use that much and it has become the designated girlfriend rod. I do like a 7'er for summer shore fluke fishing though. I am also a fan of the longer butts that surf rods have over regular spinning rods and 8'-8" and 9'-6" are right around what I think is a sweet spot for me. Thanks for your opinion though!

14 mins ago, TinyTrout said:

How does it handle 1 1/2 oz for you? I think I've seen some folks on here say it's good to 2 oz and others say only up to 1 oz... Makes it tough for me to decide since that is such a big variance. 

I thin it handles 1.5 - 2 just fine

25 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

8'8 is a work horse. holds up well, handles big fish. Light but still really durable. 

41 mins ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I thin it handles 1.5 - 2 just fine

Alright I think that's what I needed to hear, thanks for the info guys as I think my mind is made up! Just need to figure out a way to hide this purchase from the lady...

I have the 8'8 and the 9'6. You probably want the 8'8. I cut the butts on both 4" and they seem to be perfect now. The butts are way too long.

I have the 8’ 8” paired with the Slammer III  4500. Throws everything from paddle tails to 2 oz. metal. It’s great with SP’s.

15 hours ago, TinyTrout said:

I really think I just prefer fishing with a longer rod. I have an 8'er that I don't use that much and it has become the designated girlfriend rod. I do like a 7'er for summer shore fluke fishing though. I am also a fan of the longer butts that surf rods have over regular spinning rods and 8'-8" and 9'-6" are right around what I think is a sweet spot for me. Thanks for your opinion though!

I see you ordered it, but I was going to it really comes down to what you’re comfortable with using, as you say preference, and who is to say which rod is better for you, except you? 

Have the 8’8” that I use for plugging out back a lot. I run a vr50 and other 4000 size reels on it and it has been a work horse. At first I didn’t like the 70/30 split but it really does make it fish like a one piece. Great rod highly recommend. In the fall I use a longer rod to plug in the surf just because I like the extra reach, personal preference.