jimbass

Salt water registry photo on Camera?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I do not have access to a printer,can I still register online and take a picture of it on my camera phone? Is it lawful? In PA your allowed to purchase online your license and take a picture of it and show it to the game warden. Thanks in advance

It's fine in NY, there is even an app for it. I would specify which state you're referring to though, I am not sure about the others.

This is taken from Mass.gov 

License display

Freshwater fishing licenses and recreational saltwater permits
Whether you print your license or permit or have it stored on your mobile device, you must always have a current version with you when fishing in Massachusetts.

I generally print an laminate a handful of licenses at the start of the season. One for each bag and an extra in my vehicle. I keep a backup copy on my phone. Either option is acceptable in Massachusetts.

I wish NJ had an electronic option. Based on their regs I am not sure that a picture would be ok. Below is direct from their website:

Instructions:

1. Print this page and cut along the outside border of the registration certificate.
  2. Should you choose to laminate the registration certificate, you must ensure that all sections are visible for display to law enforcement officers.
  3. You are allowed to print multiple copies of this registration certificate. However, you are prohibited from loaning this registration certificate to anyone, or from borrowing one from someone else.
  4. You may print this registration certificate on paper stock more substantial than standard printer paper.
  5. While recreational saltwater fishing, this registration certificate MUST be in your possession, and be available to be produced to law enforcement officers upon their request.
  6. If you provided an e-mail address when registering, you will be sent instructions on how to re-generate and print this registration card, should you ever need to.

Just also checked the NJ FAQ page where I found this:

Individual anglers and for-hire owner/operators are required to have their registry certificate with them and available for inspection if asked by a law enforcement officer. If you do not have a printer available when you register, you will need to provide a valid e-mail address so your registration information can be sent to that address. You can then print out the registry certificate at a later time.

I have just used my phone for many years without issue.

Had a Pa Fish and Game guy give me grief because i was not displaying my license once about 10 years ago.  Showed it to him on my phone and it was all good

In Mass and NC I used the file on my phone when checked by authorities. I’ve never been checked in NJ however I night fishing in NJ mostly so don’t see many non fishermen out at night where I’m at. 

I've never been checked in Jersey either. Had it saved on my phone last year cause I didn't have a printer.

Was only checked once in Delaware . Which is kinda crazy cause rangers had stopped and talked to me a bunch of times. The one time a rookie rangers asked for my license his comment was " I'm surprised you have one":eek:

On 5/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, Captain Ahab said:

I have just used my phone for many years without issue.

Had a Pa Fish and Game guy give me grief because i was not displaying my license once about 10 years ago.  Showed it to him on my phone and it was all good

Man the first year we were allowed to print the licenses ourseleves I got into it with a Fish guy. This guy had a nuclear meltdown it was on white paper and not yellow. Thought I took the time to make a fake license.

28 mins ago, nfd27 said:

Man the first year we were allowed to print the licenses ourseleves I got into it with a Fish guy. This guy had a nuclear meltdown it was on white paper and not yellow. Thought I took the time to make a fake license.

Ha!  I think they miss the days when everyone hung their tag from the hat. LOL

Not sure about PA. Not even sure about NJ. However there has been two times in NJ I’ve been asked to show my salt water registry card. As everyone knows it’s a pain in the ass to get to your wallet out of your back pocket when you’ve got waders on. Both times as I struggled to get my wallet out, I do recall the officers saying it’d be fine if I had it on my phone.