zakmio

BOSTON HARBOR FISHING REPORT 2020

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Please, be considerate in your reports, i.e., don't be so specific that you could spot burn but share enough to contribute to the spirit of "sharing is caring".  :)

3 mins ago, qecfly said:

Anyone know if the Winthrop docks are in and open for a public launch?

You are good to go.  

20 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Got this guy under a pile of herring last night. 

0DE77DD1-2319-41EB-9862-5049D5FB862C.jpeg

The herring are thickkk.  Fished the Harbor yesterday for 3hrs and there were piles of them in the water the whole time I was there.  Couldn't find any bass with em tho.  But, when the big bass do find them, it's gonna be red hot real quick.

I went out by myself yesterday, May 8th and I remembered on the same date in 2017 my friend Ron and I had the first "limit catches" for the year at "Spot 208" so I went right there. The first pic is my screen after I took the picture of my cooler with my 8 flounder limit (fish to 16 inches).

Note that the water temp was 52F (bottom of the tide) and the time is 827 AM. I left the dock at 702am and travelled about 12 minutes so it took me a little over an hour to get the limit which is similar to the case of 05/08/2017. Same water temp for that date as well.

The last pic is I was getting hammered by 23-25 inch stripers which was slowing me down on the flounder a bit. Surely more bass than the past few early seasons in Quincy....

(Don't call me Shirley!)

050820screen.JPG

050820limit.JPG

050820bass.JPG

2 hours ago, jason colby said:

I went out by myself yesterday, May 8th and I remembered on the same date in 2017 my friend Ron and I had the first "limit catches" for the year at "Spot 208" so I went right there. The first pic is my screen after I took the picture of my cooler with my 8 flounder limit (fish to 16 inches).

Note that the water temp was 52F (bottom of the tide) and the time is 827 AM. I left the dock at 702am and travelled about 12 minutes so it took me a little over an hour to get the limit which is similar to the case of 05/08/2017. Same water temp for that date as well.

The last pic is I was getting hammered by 23-25 inch stripers which was slowing me down on the flounder a bit. Surely more bass than the past few early seasons in Quincy....

(Don't call me Shirley!)

050820screen.JPG

050820limit.JPG

050820bass.JPG

Great news Cap.  Looking forward to a great flounder bite this year.  The kayak goes in next week!

Went out Thursday with a friend, it was a beautiful day, had almost the whole harbor to ourselves. Took a few moves and a couple hours to get on the flounder, but once we found them we limited out in around an hour. Picked through lots of short fish too, I liked to see that!

Marked tons of baitfish all over the harbor, and huge pods of larger marks that were probably schoolies but we didn't bother with them, flounder fever was in full effect.

Friday the 8th I shore fished from shore in the Quincy area starting about two hours after the high tide. Didn't get any any bites, but about 2 hours before the low tide there was a ton of bait fish in the water, and the birds were taking advantage of it. 

Fished from shore Saturday for ~2hrs of outgoing tide, somewhere in Boston Harbor.  It was freezing with 40mph wind in my face the whole time.  But, the fish were biting.  Got about 6 stripers total ranging 8" (tiny!) to ~26" long.  I caught everything on a 1.5oz silver/blue Kastmaster (no bucktail on hook).  It was the only thing I could get to cut thru that wind.  Hoping to get my first keeper this weekend!  

Another of "those days" today: Limited out on flounder early on sending a couple of small ones and a small striper back as well. Went out at 7am and was at the dock by 9am. 

Water was 50.3F, a bit cooler than Friday but the fish don't care at this point. They have to eat!

Had one at 17.5 inches and they seems to start off really keyed in on clams but gradually changing to a worm preference. It was kind of weird the way the bait preference went today.

051220scr.JPG

051220175.JPG

051220boxlim.JPG