waderman1

Cobia, Sportsman or Pair Marine f/n/a Sea Ox

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a CC in the mid range brands.  Opinions on Cobia, Sportsman and Pair Marine f/n/a Sea Ox.

21-26' range

What is the best bang for your buck?

Fishing in New Jersey both in the river and the Shrewsbury rocks.

I really want a level deck with no forward seating - just bean bags and a full transom with a bracket for the outboard motor.

Nowadays these are hard to come by - every boat has forward seating.

Thanks!

I'm thinking new or used up to 75k.  I think there might be some good deals in the secondary market due to the 'rona...  The toys sell first to meet financial hardship.  I might be able to get something for 60-70 cents on the dollar....  even less.  I am really leaning toward Pair Marine...  just a simple fishing tank with no forward seating.

Friend has the 24’ version of the SeaOx .  Nice boat. Great fit and finish. Last time I spoke with him he was going to sell it . Be a good boat to buy as it’s all set up. 

That's a good reason - thank you for your pm!  I think those boats spike in price one everybody starts to see the value.  It's like getting a regulator for .50 cents on the dollar....

The issue with level deck/in floor fish boxes is with that sized boat, you only have so much space in the hull for hatches thus the front doubles as seating but also for the storage aspect. Looking at the sportsman myself but also kind of want a pilothouse. Going to run my maycraft for another year or two. 

On May 8, 2020 at 1:16 PM, catchnr3lease said:

The issue with level deck/in floor fish boxes is with that sized boat, you only have so much space in the hull for hatches thus the front doubles as seating but also for the storage aspect. Looking at the sportsman myself but also kind of want a pilothouse. Going to run my maycraft for another year or two. 

how do you like the Maycraft 

On 5/6/2020 at 5:11 PM, waderman1 said:

I'm thinking new or used up to 75k.  I think there might be some good deals in the secondary market due to the 'rona...  The toys sell first to meet financial hardship.  I might be able to get something for 60-70 cents on the dollar....  even less.  I am really leaning toward Pair Marine...  just a simple fishing tank with no forward seating.

75K.... good budget ...used Regulator/Contender or used Parker/ Jones Brothers.  

Don't buy a new Sportsman or Cobia.  They are what they call in Florida "sand bar boats" . The look like fishing boats but have lots of cushy seating and cup holders - so the wife is happy and you look like a fisherman anchored up at the sand bar drinking pina colada's.  Sportsman or Cobia are also mid tier boats that will depreciate so fast it will make your head spin.

The best bang for your buck is buying a quality boat used.  For the 21-25 foot range Contenders/Regulators (for Deep V) or Parker/ Jones (for modified V) are the most capable in that size range and have the best resale.  I rode on one of those new Sea Ox's in Montauk last fall. It pounded - pretty boat and it would be great for protected water fishing but it rode just like a Parker or Jones would on a sloppy day.

The first decision you have to make is if you want a modified V hull...Like a Sea Ox, Parker, Jones Bros (21 degree deadrise) or a Deep V boat like Contender or Regulator (24 degree dead rise).  Generally speaking - Modified V hulls pound in most sea states, are very stable on the drift/ anchor and draft less - better for bay fishing.  Deep V's ride much softer, draft more, are less stable on the drift/anchor and need more HP.

I really like my may craft 18 ...bought new a fewyearsago ....almost got Parker 18 but saved 6000 and factory duck edition.  id check out the may craft 20 and 23.  buy new for half ur budget w yami and aluminum trailer.   I got 18 for the low gunnels ...I crab , gig flounder , and oyster so hop in and outthe boat a lot. nice days run out inlet for cobia....few boats out there to buy bare bones and utility like may craft ......agreealso w cpalm recommendations.