JimJ

Braid Bite offs

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Over the last 3 outings I’ve had 4 bite offs where the braid line was bitten off above a 3 foot 50 pound mono leader casting to schools of bluefish with Spanish mackerel mixed in. I use 30 pound yellow power pro with the leader tied directly with double uni knot.  I never had this happen when using mono years ago except if I had a shiny swivel between the line and leader.  I think I might be getting bit where the line enters the water and I’m thinking yellow line maybe the problem.  Fortunately I’m only losing cheap spoons. Any thoughts?  

Next trip I’m using a reel with green suffix 832 to see if the color change helps.  

I use green braid and a few feet of flourocarbon  on my bluefish rod and never had it bitten 

Have seen it several times and personally lost a bass when a blue cut my line. I can't say it was common but certainly not unheard of either. I was using Cortland Micron not modern braids

Never had this happen without a swivel but I'd def try the color change if you're certain it's not an issue with the braid or a guide/your spool.  I like sytheteacher's idea.

That’s typically a good knot . I haven’t lost many fish when using that with the appropriate leader 50 or 60 berkley big game leader. If it’s the color that’s good to know. Yeah check for a nick. That would normally cut without a fish though from my experience. That’s good intuition on the color being the problem. 

I've had this happen before as well.  However in my case it was fly fishing and it was the 30# to 20# blood knot on the leader.  Often when I was fishing a 2 fly rig with two fish attached. Thankfully they never cut off the fly line.  I would try a longer leader and get the fish away from the knot.  The rest of the blues tend to stay right with the hooked fish.  For me it was several years ago when blues were more numerous on the Cape (cod).  Has not been (unfortunately) a problem recently.

Spanish mackerel is cuting that off.

i had 30# power pro direct to lure,they cut that off you did not feel nothing,just  cut with out tag.i started using wire,they would not tuoch wire,i had to swich to heavy mono leader.

With those dang Spanish it was a bad winter in Naples. Was cut off too many times to count. Like you said didn’t know until line went limp I was using power pro 20,40,and 80 lb. Red,moss green, timber brown they cut all colors. Never saw them do it but caught a lot of them. It’s something you to have to deal with. It took 80# mono leader to stop them cutting thru that. 

Had it happen with bits of sea weed or mung gets on the braid.  A small bit looks like a minnow.

I think sometimes in blitz action they just swim through with their mouths open

Posted (edited) · Report post

The schools of mackerel and bluefish have been extremely thick as of late. There have been large schools of small barracuda too.

The fish feel and sense fishing line in the water. If the line ends up in front of their face, they chop down.

A similar scenario is when you are fishing around a large school of mullet. You can feel the baitfish bumping into the line. The difference is that mackerel have razor sharp teeth and attack whatever bumps into them.

Try fishing a longer leader and keep your rod tip up high. Could also put on a piece of wire leader.

*Btw, I seriously doubt the color of your line will have any affect.

Edited by Mr. Sophistication

nick on guide or bluefish swimming through water and chopping.  Line gets caught in their teeth.  happens when fishing tightly schooled feeding fish.

Yup there’s not much you can do . I have summer spots where the blues are so thick you can get your line through there teeth without even getting bit .. skip the swivel and tie direct so at least it’s one less thing for them to attack ..  but it’s a good problem to have . It means ya in them thick usually ..