Have ODM and Blackhole become the new go toos

Rate this topic

nfnDrum

25 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

I have had Lamigas all ARA and have to say i refer my ODM, Id love to support US Made products. But truth be told these companies are skating by on their reputations and offer little innovation. I'm going to look into Lamiglas new carbon series, but where are they made for $200? I'm gonna assume they are imports.

talking innovation Lets look at daiwa, interesting selection of lighter surf rods. Made for the west coast but these look perfect for light buctails and jerks for fluke small bass and blues. 

https://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/saltistsurfrods/index.html

I may just get one of these ... 

Lami might not be bringing much in the way of innovation to the surf rod market but they offer a reliable, durable, fish catching product. I love my ODM rods as well as my St Croix, TFO, Shimano, etc but if I could only have one i'd choose Lamiglass all day. You can't beat the reliability or feel of a Lami.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

19 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Lami might not be bringing much in the way of innovation to the surf rod market but they offer a reliable, durable, fish catching product. I love my ODM rods as well as my St Croix, TFO, Shimano, etc but if I could only have one i'd choose Lamiglass all day. You can't beat the reliability or feel of a Lami.

I have (2) ODMs and they are great. Picked up an Arra 1321 used from a buddy. Looking forward to trying it this season.

3 mins ago, D_L said:

I have (2) ODMs and they are great. Picked up an Arra 1321 used from a buddy. Looking forward to trying it this season.

1321 has become my go to rod for most conditions. I bought the Lami factory rod a few seasons ago and like it enough that I'm going to get one custom built when I get the chance.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

1321 has become my go to rod for most conditions. I bought the Lami factory rod a few seasons ago and like it enough that I'm going to get one custom built when I get the chance.

Nice. 

I had 2 9ft and a 10ft Ara. The old school guides just made the blanks sluggish. K series guides lighter grips ect are what I like about the "NEW" bread of rods we are seeing. I think their is a point where premium blanks just don't offer that much more performance and the components take over. Higher end surf rods are just a hard sell on me these days some of these over seas blanks are nice. guides are strait ect. Thats more then i can say for a few US made rods I've bought and had to return for exchange.

Edited by nfnDrum

It’s just sad how Loomis is hardly even mentioned anymore. They made some great rods back in the day, my 1324 and my 965 are still two of my favorites. Although it just hard to compete with the new, lighter material. It’s even worse for old boat rods - everything is skinny and light - my calstars and sabers feel and look like clubs next to this new stuff. 

Edited by Jason B
"It's the weekend, I don't know you, you don't exist to me." The Hangover

7 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

I have had Lamigas all ARA and have to say i prefer my ODM, Id love to support US Made products. But truth be told these companies are skating by on their reputations and offer little innovation. I'm going to look into Lamiglas new carbon series, but where are they made for $200? I'm gonna assume they are imports.

Talking innovation Lets look at daiwa, interesting selection of lighter surf rods. Made for the west coast but these look perfect for light buctails and jerks for fluke small bass and blues. 

If you're looking for innovation look no further than Century.  The blanks are run in the UK and hand built in the USA

Edited by AFMike

On 5/8/2020 at 1:51 AM, ksong said:

That is why I post it as not many anglers down there know about Black Hole surf rods yet. :)

Blake Hayden in the picture is well  known drum fishermen down there. He started to use our Black Hole Surf II Heavy rods from last year and  It helps a lot as many anglers know about him.

I believe it is a matter of time the Black Hole Surf II heavy rods become popular there.

Respectfully-Get a decent fish on a fast action rod and the fish is the "Boss" during the fight. He couldn't turn that fish with that rod and was constantly high sticking. Probably gets great distance on the cast but thats where it ends.

Still looking for the perfect eight and bait stick-The distance of the newer fast action rods and the fighting ability of the Lami 136-1-MH.

Good to see the courtesy exhibited by the other fisherman during the fight. 

Marc

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.

9 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

I have had Lamigas all ARA and have to say i prefer my ODM, Id love to support US Made products. But truth be told these companies are skating by on their reputations and offer little innovation. I'm going to look into Lamiglas new carbon series, but where are they made for $200? I'm gonna assume they are imports.

Talking innovation Lets look at daiwa, interesting selection of lighter surf rods. Made for the west coast but these look perfect for light buctails and jerks for fluke small bass and blues. 

Saltist 8'3" conventional rod will be delivered today, will mount my Daiwa coastal on it and try to catch tomorrow. Tackle Warehouse is only 20 minutes away and they will pretty much take back any rod that is bought from them if you show up on their doorstep.

23 hours ago, ksong said:

We have one year full warranty. We normally replace rods without any question within one year free of charge except shipping. We trust your honesty. :) If you buy at our dealer shops, you can get the replacement at the shop by giving your damaged rods.  Guides and reel seat damages are not covered by the warranty after using the rods.

Any damages happened between i year and 2 years, you get replacement at 40 percent discount and 30 percent discount between 2 years and 3 years. 

I think it is fair enough for both. :)

Quality is utmost important for us. We started to develop our surf rods as we hear many complaints that their surf rods get broken while casting or fighting so often.  

so actually, the buyer is getting more than a "1 year warranty"...:th: :th:, with Black Hole..

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.

2 hours ago, mml4 said:

. He couldn't turn that fish with that rod and was constantly high sticking. Probably gets great distance on the cast but thats where it ends.

Did you ever used the rod ?  He used light 20 lb mono line and he can not use heavy drag. It is not the rod, but the light drag as big drum run.  And fighting with high sticking is normal when fish is far away on beaches. 

26 mins ago, ksong said:

Did you ever used the rod ?  He used light 20 lb mono line and he can not use heavy drag. It is not the rod, but the light drag as big drum run.  And fighting with high sticking is normal when fish is far away on beaches. 

No I haven't used that rod but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Folks can watch the video and judge for themselves.

Kind of disingenuous of you to change the video from the Drum fisherman actually fighting a fish on the beach to the Tackle show spring scale test which proves pretty much nothing about how a rod works on the beach.

Marc 

Edited by mml4

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.

Blake Hayden is one of the most respected drum fishermen in NC and Virginia Beach. 

He likes the 12' Black Hole Surf II rods, but the rod is heavy and bulky for my old body.  I like prototype 12' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 2 oz - 8 oz rod for big drum or striper as the rod is thin and lighter. 

It is fast action rod, but I can land 40 lb drum in 5 minutes without issue.

I will test the rod with conventional for big drum out of OBX 

Unfortunately the arrival of the rods is delayed due to corona virus.

20200426_170543.jpg

20200426_170552.jpg

20200505_093014.jpg