ThrowinPlugs

Favorite cart for Hobies?

16 posts in this topic

Used to use a DIY PVC cart for my quest and pescador. Now that I have the compass I'd like something a bit more robust. I see a lot of guys using scupper carts, but that gives me the heebie jeebies, I feel like ultimately it could cause cracking. Opinions on your favorite carts styles?

I use the c tug cart also , took me a few trips to find the area that works best for me . I am very happy with it .

Been using Hobie's scupper cart for ten years and have yet to have a problem. Must be the tennis balls I put on them from day one that did the trick. Or the fact that the hulls never leave the water without wheels installed.

If you go the scupper route. The 24cm wheels are a  easy install being able to push them under water and buoyancy pushes them up through the scuppers.  There good all around.  However one fifty yard pull through the soft sand will make you wish you had 30cm. For the larger wheels installation is a chore for most to do with all the crap they bring. You can't push them under water like the smaller wheels.  Its either lay kayak on side or have a bud lift the back.  

I have both and a hard ground wheels set.  Both the 30cm and Hard ground foam are for rare occasions.

i also use hobie scupper cart... 

i try not to go over big bumps and also don't load my kayak with a tackle shop...

Just got my C-Tug yesterday and it looks like it’s going to work out great. The wheels pop off quickly with no pins to lose and then the frame breaks down in two and easily stores in the front hatch of the Revo.

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Just got my C-Tug yesterday and it looks like it’s going to work out great. The wheels pop off quickly with no pins to lose and then the frame breaks down in two and easily stores in the front hatch of the Revo.

Did you get the sandtrax. Thing works great man. I have a fully loaded tandem hobie with everything in it and it moves it fairly easily through all kinds of sand. Does not drag at all. I lift it up as my son throws it underneath. I break it down and toss it in the hatch but carry the wheels in the rear as they dont fit in the oasis.

I have a 2018 outback and struggled with the ctug. The cathedral hull and wide tapered shape of the outback Meant it slipped off all the time.

I ended up getting the Hobie heavy duty cart which I prefer and is much easier to fit.

If you place a lift handle just behind the seat, it makes using carts (especially scupper) easier.

8 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Did you get the sandtrax. Thing works great man. I have a fully loaded tandem hobie with everything in it and it moves it fairly easily through all kinds of sand. Does not drag at all. I lift it up as my son throws it underneath. I break it down and toss it in the hatch but carry the wheels in the rear as they dont fit in the oasis.

No, I think they’re the standard wheels but I almost never go through sand. I can often park within 50ft or so of where I intend to launch so I usually don’t use a cart, but this will allow me to park further away if needed. 

That's a good thing. The regular wheels are bad in the sand and just drag. If for any reason you need to go over rough terrain the sandtrax are really good. I told myself that how can they be that much better and went with the wheels and couldnt believe it. Good luck on the cart and ease of use. Nice not have to bring a cart back to the vehicle on how it breaks down so easily.