Dave S

Golf the old way

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler turn back clock with persimmons, vintage ball

With people cooped up inside during quarantine and the coronavirus pandemic, many have turned to new hobbies, like puzzles, exercise or reading. But for two of the game's top players, they turned to a different on-course challenge.

Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler hit up Medalist Golf Club in South Florida on Sunday for a throwback match, equipped with vintage persimmon clubs and balls.

from golfchanneldot com

Could this be the answer for Pro golf?  

I know I have my old Macgregors laying around (still hit them at the range from time to time.) 

Maybe time to make it more challenging again?

Some if not all the pros today have a hard enough time hitting a driver down the fairway using a club with the head the size of a football. imagine if they had to put the screws to the ball each time? 

And lets not forget using balatas.  :th:

The major reason they miss the fairway it they hit too far and they know they can get up and down from the rough with a wedge in their hand

3 hours ago, Dave S said:

Would love to see a middle game come back on the par 4's and 5's

You'll see more drivable par 4s.....5s will be birdie holes,

Golfer's fitness, the ball, the clubs themselves and the way grass is cut, maintained and grown....has been murder to the tour.

Should pro's be restricted on long flight balls?  Should there be some sort of requirement regarding equipment?  

On 5/7/2020 at 2:07 PM, Dave S said:

Should pro's be restricted on long flight balls?  Should there be some sort of requirement regarding equipment?  

What you are really asking is should there be two sets of rules for golf? One for pros and one for us? I don't. 

Should the NBA pros have to use a 1/3 larger basketball? Or perhaps a rim 12-15 feet off the ground & with no backboard? Or a rim slightly larger than today's ball?

Back to golf, there are a ton of rules regarding golf equipment limitations already. If they start using a new standard of lighter and more spinner golf ball which would inhibit the distance it will have a profound effect on amateurs. 

I don't play much golf these days, one day I will get back into it.

But I opened this thread and it brought up a cool thought. I will never be able to dunk a basketball just like Lebron. I'll never be able to throw a 98 MPH fastball. I'll never be able to do many of the things professional athletes do, not even close. But when I holed out that 7 iron from 155 yards on the 17th hole at Pike Brook CC 30 years ago, there was nobody in the world who could have done it any better, nobody! Give every pro golfer 100 balls and the same shot. Not one could improve on my shot.To me, that's a pretty cool concept an one that does not translate to many other sports or activities. 

Golfed on Friday with the greens set up for covid with the pool noodles in the cups, set about 1/4" below the grade of the green.   Buddy's tee-shot is dead-on for a 165 yard par 3 shot.  Lands on the front of the green, rolls up, clinks the flag-stick, ends up 4" behind the cup.  Pretty good odds it'd have dropped without the foam in the cup.  Bad timing for a once/twice in a lifetime shot.  

On 5/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, fishfood said:

Golfed on Friday with the greens set up for covid with the pool noodles in the cups, set about 1/4" below the grade of the green.   Buddy's tee-shot is dead-on for a 165 yard par 3 shot.  Lands on the front of the green, rolls up, clinks the flag-stick, ends up 4" behind the cup.  Pretty good odds it'd have dropped without the foam in the cup.  Bad timing for a once/twice in a lifetime shot.  

Here the "guidelines" for being open call for the inner cup to be raised an inch above green level so the ball can't go in. Clank it off the cup and you're good. So your buddy would've gotten the hole in one provided someone can see it hit from that far (I can't).