Sjz2020

Question about my gears capabilities for cape cod canal

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I just bought a Penn slammer 3 5500, it can hold 340 yards of braid 40#. I am pairing it with a rod that I am quite frankly not to confident in right now as I have not tested it and hard to find reviews on it online, it is a graphite Tica 9 foot medium heavy UEHA surf spinning rod. My biggest concern is that my reel won't be able to hold enough line for if I hook onto a monster in a strong current or if my rod will just snap. The rod costs 100 bucks so I'm hoping it can perform and I cannot afford anything more expensive than it right now, only reason I was able to get a slammer reel was because my mom paid for half.

I'm just concerned I will go there and leave disappointed. It's not my primary fishing spot as I live up north and got this set up primarily for the beach and docks but I do want to get over there a couple times this summer.

Please let me know if you think this gear will hold up.

Thank you

Posted (edited) · Report post

340 yrds of 40# line is more than enough. Just don't overload that rod with heavy "canal" plugs and jigs.

Edited by Sandbar1

There have been many 30, 40, and 50 lb. stripers landed with $40.00 combos from Wal Mart.  Use what you have and have fun doing it...………………...

34 mins ago, b-ware said:

There have been many 30, 40, and 50 lb. stripers landed with $40.00 combos from Wal Mart.  Use what you have and have fun doing it...………………...

B-ware is right. I have caught keepers in the canal with a 7’ beater rod and 15 lb mono.

6 hours ago, Sjz2020 said:

Hi, I just bought a Penn slammer 3 5500, it can hold 340 yards of braid 40#. I am pairing it with a rod that I am quite frankly not to confident in right now as I have not tested it and hard to find reviews on it online, it is a graphite Tica 9 foot medium heavy UEHA surf spinning rod. My biggest concern is that my reel won't be able to hold enough line for if I hook onto a monster in a strong current or if my rod will just snap. The rod costs 100 bucks so I'm hoping it can perform and I cannot afford anything more expensive than it right now, only reason I was able to get a slammer reel was because my mom paid for half.

I'm just concerned I will go there and leave disappointed. It's not my primary fishing spot as I live up north and got this set up primarily for the beach and docks but I do want to get over there a couple times this summer.

Thank you

First welcome to SOL

and to answer your question best I can. When you first get introduced to salt water fishing you realize that you have many choices when it come to what you can use. If the most you can spend is $40 or $50 then you shop around for the best buy for your money On the other hand I see that you have already spent a few dollars to get you started. If what you have chosen is the best you can buy for what you had for money then go for it and make the best use of what you have bought. If you load your reel with the #40 braid as is recommended for that reel and you are pairing it with a Tica 9 foot rod , you will have plenty of line to hold any fish of size, understanding that you have had some experience with fighting a fish of size. That is 3 football lentgh of line on your reel . just imagine how long that would be away from you should it happen . Unless you are superman you most likely would be worn out physically if that were to happen[this is unlikely however] that the fish would be able to make such a run in the canal , before it broke off for other reasons . Like when a fish of size will go to the bottom and find some place to hang itself and break of or gets itself caught up in what ever it finds for structure.   Also since in most cases you will be side by side with others fishing in the canal the reality is the longer it is able to run the more likely it will get caught in some one else's line and you will lose it , unless every one works together so that you could  bring in the fish on the end of your line. The only disadvantage is when the fish may be swimming and chasing bait further then what your rod can cast as far as lentgh . Eventually you will purchase a longer rod when you realize that in some cases you can not reach the fish in all cases, but do not let that discourage you for many fish of size , especially in the canal will run the edges of the many rips that set up during current shifts and just keep working the edges and you will be surprised as to comes up to attack your plug .    One suggestion I would have is once you hang a fish of size and get that fish close , do not use the rod tip to attempt and lift it from the water. In the majority of rods the tips will break . Slide the fish by using the whole rod and reel to place you picked out where you are fishing that affords you an opportunity to place it in a place it can not be released until you actually do it yourself.   Good Luck Peace and Prayers

On 5/6/2020 at 0:59 AM, Sjz2020 said:

Thank you

Sjz2020 Did a little  further check on the rod you purchased and its listed in 2 different models of the 9 foot medium heavy  Surf series with the same id number. listed. Can you post the complete number ueha527402c or the 527402s  however both appear to have the same manufacturing rating  to handle from 2 to 6  ounces with the S slightly lighter in weight[ not that it should make any difference They also have another MH UEHA   4274025 series at 9 foot that has a rating of 1/2 to 3 ounces . So if that is the one you may have purchased you still should be fine , but will need to be more careful when landing the fish more so with High sticking the rod when trying to lift the fish out of the water. Peace and Prayers

I really wouldn’t worry about line capacity, best bet is to have a good drag and stout rod, which you seem to have and keep the drag tight.

By keeping that drag tight, you are minimizing the amount of line out and vastly decreasing the fight time for the benefit of your neighbors and any fish you intend to release as well as saving wear and tear on your gear by minimizing the amount of pulling against the current you need to do.

You’ll be good. Solid set up. Tica’s are great rods for the money.  Throw SP minnows, 2 oz crippled herrings, and two ounce Gibbs pencils.