NewestGuyOnStripersOnline

What is the best method for tying on teasers?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Been doing a lot of reading regarding knot and leader strength. I've settled on the Trilene knot for all my leaders and up to this point I've been using a dropper loop for the teaser. Looks like the dropper loop causes a serious decrease in line strength though. 

I read that some people use a three way swivel at the top of their setup; one to the mainline, one to the teaser, and one to the lure. 

Is this the preferred method for maintaining as much strength as possible? Does the teaser seem to catch on the leader more often? What are the ideal lengths for both lines off of the swivel?

Thanks for the help!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Best is what’s easiest for you! Butterfly knot may work for you. This climbing knot is non jamming, and can be untied in 50# mono leader.

Edited by cheech

I prefer to tie both my main leader and teaser leader to the eye of one good quality spro swivel. Keep your teaser leader short and use heavy material, 50# + and you'll avoid most tangles.

Anyone try those t-turn 3 way?  Thinking about picking up some.

I usually use a palomar knot and tag end goes to teaser.  Tangles too much. 

1 min ago, rwilhelm said:

I tried the T turns and the work ok.  Hard to tie one at night on the beach due to the small size of the eyelets

I use a 3 way in i think size 0 or 1 and it works just as well for a lot less money

The best knot is the one you tie well.

I do both.  I use a swivel with a 3-4ft main leader, then a 2nd 9-12" leader for the teaser.  Probably the strongest method due to simplicity.

Dropper loops I often use on the boat for homemade hi lo rigs.  #1 hook and a 3" green gulp for the top hook.  Anything that comes in its ways usually takes atleast a nibble.....

MY weakest link is the braid to leader knot usually.  Seems the braid strangles the mono/fluoro and pinches it till it comes off.  I find if your gentle with knot forming.   Easy to pull on the knot end.  Help form that first turn without forcing it.  And use some sort of knot lube, like loogie lube.....     

Another big increase in knot strenght for me is super gluing.   I get the knot mostly formed dry, then put a drop of glue on it.  Then I give it the last pulling into shape.  The glue keeps the strangling down and doubles as a knot lube.   Double uniknots leaders is my achilees tendon.    Tying the braid to the swivel directly removes this issue.

For ease of use, I use mono on the boat.   Freshwater I use mono too.  Braid is for stripers only for me.  Thats me though.....

26 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I prefer to tie both my main leader and teaser leader to the eye of one good quality spro swivel. Keep your teaser leader short and use heavy material, 50# + and you'll avoid most tangles.

Funny, read about spro swivels.  The very first one I used came apart like nothing.   Fell apart tying the knot....  Probably a rare fluke, but enough of a bad omen for me........  Used the bag and never got another.  I buy eagle claw bulk ones and never had a problem.

28 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

I find using a regular swivel and gluing the 2 line knots at a decent angle apart reduces tangles.  Using yo-zuri fluoro helps alot too.  Sure others work good, but that stuff is alot stiffer than your run of the mill mono line....

33 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I tried the T turns and the work ok.  Hard to tie one at night on the beach due to the small size of the eyelets

I use a 3 way in i think size 0 or 1 and it works just as well for a lot less money

Thanks!  

I don’t condone this at all but I like the option of having a teaser or not and taking them off quickly- but I hate the idea of a dropper loop in my main leader. 

I came up with the (probably stupid) idea of tying the teaser leader to the swivel with a dropper loop on both ends. I can easily change the teaser or take the whole thing off in a matter of seconds. I caught some schoolies on it without issue. Fished it in rough surf with no tangle issues either. I wouldn’t trust it with a big girl though.

9 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Dropper loops are a guaranteed fail point.  This thread is from a couple months ago.  Lots of ideas and information in it.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/783925-knot-strength-ever-checked-yours/

Yeah that's the thread that took me down this dark path to begin with. I was happy with my dropper loop until I read it!

2 mins ago, NewestGuyOnStripersOnline said:

Yeah that's the thread that took me down this dark path to begin with. I was happy with my dropper loop until I read it!

Yeah, a lot of us were.  Best approach seems to be two leaders from a swivel.  One to the lure and one to the teaser.  A possible 2nd approach would be to tie the leader to the swivel with a Palomar and the tag end goes to the teaser.