Still_pluggin91911

Anyone against keeping your catch everyday?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Anything's possible. The more action / Color / movement it makes jigging off the bottom should anticipate a fluke wanting to strike it. White has always been the best color for me, both bay and ocean. Gulp literally out fishes any other lure that I have tried. Last week I got a keeper striper on a white 5" swimming mullet that I normally use only for fluke fishing. Sometimes changing up the lure / color / presentation giving that extra tail flutter from the gulp is what they wanted that day. Soft plastics are great for multiple species and they give it that real swimming bait action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Still_pluggin91911 said:

Anything's possible. The more action / Color / movement it makes jigging off the bottom should anticipate a fluke wanting to strike it. White has always been the best color for me, both bay and ocean. Gulp literally out fishes any other lure that I have tried. Last week I got a keeper striper on a white 5" swimming mullet that I normally use only for fluke fishing. Sometimes changing up the lure / color / presentation giving that extra tail flutter from the gulp is what they wanted that day. Soft plastics are great for multiple species and they give it that real swimming bait action.

I switched to gulp maybe 2 or 3 summers ago but I mostly catch throwbacks. Do you notice that too with the 4" mullet? I've considered sizing up but I'm only ever fishing the bay, mostly barnegat light and great bay actually. 

 

I have a cast net now adays that I haven't used yet, but want to. When I went down south to visit my brother, we would throw that thing around and get some mullet and use that for the flat fish. Can we apply that same concept here? I'm hardly against fresh bait still and if one were to cast net the bait that is around, it sure does seem likely to be effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I switched to gulp maybe 2 or 3 summers ago but I mostly catch throwbacks. Do you notice that too with the 4" mullet? I've considered sizing up but I'm only ever fishing the bay, mostly barnegat light and great bay actually. 

 

I have a cast net now adays that I haven't used yet, but want to. When I went down south to visit my brother, we would throw that thing around and get some mullet and use that for the flat fish. Can we apply that same concept here? I'm hardly against fresh bait still and if one were to cast net the bait that is around, it sure does seem likely to be effective.

Yes you can go to a 5 or 6" white swimming mullet. Using the 4" you will get 90% shorts to 10% being the occasional keeper ratio. I noticed once I upgraded to a bigger size mullet We were catching more keeper fluke. Same method applies for the surf. You can always use your cast net and catch your own bait. When I was a youngster, my uncle swore to the squid/killie combo. That combination would catch keeper fluke. He was a diehard fisherman who lived and breathed fishing. I was lucky enough to go with him a few times on a party boat fishing the ocean for fluke and blues. 

I have always had luck with using squid and killie as a pair toghter. Until gulp became popular, I always used real bait.

Edited by Still_pluggin91911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Still_pluggin91911 said:

Yes you can go to a 5 or 6" white swimming mullet. Using the 4" you will get 90% shorts to 10% being the occasional keeper ratio. I noticed once I upgraded to a bigger size mullet We were catching more keeper fluke. Same method applies for the surf. You can always use your cast net and catch your own bait. When I was a youngster, my uncle swore to the squid/killie combo. That combination would catch keeper fluke. He was a diehard fisherman who lived and breathed fishing. I was lucky enough to go with him a few times on a party boat fishing the ocean for fluke and blues. 

I have always had luck with using squid and killie as a pair toghter. Until gulp became popular, I always used real bait.

I will size up and see how it works out. I actually am still a fan of the killies, especially early season. I am a big fan of the pogy gulp too which no one seems to recommend but I wouldn't sleep on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same guy that's been keeping stripers everyday and night posted this, overfishing your limit on blues..... people like that shouldn't be fishing if you can't follow the rules.

Screenshot_20200513-205827_Samsung Internet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 9:58 PM, Still_pluggin91911 said:

Most of us enjoy fishing for the sport, others like to keep their catch, but someone who goes and fishes everyday and keeps what they catch everyday and posts it on social media should they be judged? Hey if it's a keeper bass and you want to keep it cool, but everyday keeping 1 bass and anything else they catch seems a bit much... fish caught from the raritan bay recommended consumption is 1 meal per month? 

 Definitely not when it comes to striped bass. If you are even a tiny bit passionate about striped bass & fishing for them then this thought shouldn’t even come to mind.  If you think you care about bass and keep more than an occasional bass you are a fraud. It’s that simple. 
I raise my hand to god and can say I’ve never killed or kept a single Striper in my entire life of fishing. 
With the current state of the fishery I’m not killing something I love. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 9:58 PM, Still_pluggin91911 said:

Most of us enjoy fishing for the sport, others like to keep their catch, but someone who goes and fishes everyday and keeps what they catch everyday and posts it on social media should they be judged? Hey if it's a keeper bass and you want to keep it cool, but everyday keeping 1 bass and anything else they catch seems a bit much... fish caught from the raritan bay recommended consumption is 1 meal per month? 

 

IF they eat it I'd say its absolutely of no business of anyones.

 

Bit if they arent, and are either  "giving it to a friend" to die in the depths of the back of a frosty, icy freezer only to be used as fertilzer 6 months from now, i'd say you can pass a little judgement if it makes you feel better.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 10:07 PM, ACFishing said:

I honestly used to do that to a certain degree but you'll see how dumb and greedy it truly is 

 

Why is an old guy fishing and eating what he catches every day dumb and greedy?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know someone that keeps everything legal.  What he can't eat (a lot) he packages, dates with a sharpie and freezes.  He knows which packages to throw out by it's date as the new stock rotates in.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, Frede said:

I know someone that keeps everything legal.  What he can't eat (a lot) he packages, dates with a sharpie and freezes.  He knows which packages to throw out by it's date as the new stock rotates in.    

I am not judging anyone but knowing which packages to throw out by date is the sad part of that statement. If the freezer gets too full its time to start only keeping what you can eat fresh and start throwing back the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, 3rd Child said:

I am not judging anyone but knowing which packages to throw out by date is the sad part of that statement. If the freezer gets too full its time to start only keeping what you can eat fresh and start throwing back the rest.

Yup.....I had to bite my tongue when I witnessed the "rotation."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one should be harrassing the fisherman for following the rules. Dont like it, yell at whoever made the rules. If someones yelling at me for following rules ill tell em to go f themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chewy2000913 said:

No one should be harrassing the fisherman for following the rules. Dont like it, yell at whoever made the rules. If someones yelling at me for following rules ill tell em to go f themselves. 

That's not really what's being discussed, what's being discussed is if you are against it.  Just because I think it's irresponsible and selfish doesn't mean I'll ever say a word to anyone out there who is following the law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm personally not against keeping your legal catch every day. I will keep what I'm allowed while fluking, sea bassing, etc on a boat or surf. I would just hope people aren't eating fish 4-5x times a week. Sounds healthy on paper until you look at the consumption advisories...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.