Still_pluggin91911

Anyone against keeping your catch everyday?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Most of us enjoy fishing for the sport, others like to keep their catch, but someone who goes and fishes everyday and keeps what they catch everyday and posts it on social media should they be judged? Hey if it's a keeper bass and you want to keep it cool, but everyday keeping 1 bass and anything else they catch seems a bit much... fish caught from the raritan bay recommended consumption is 1 meal per month? 

If it's legal, and it's being eaten, I see no issue with people keeping a limit of whatever every day.

If there are negative health effects, oh well.

I honestly used to do that to a certain degree but you'll see how dumb and greedy it truly is and I try to only keep a bass if it ate the hook too deep or gets hooked in a position that would decrease it's chances of survival to the point where it's clear that they aren't going to survive.

Everyone has their own opinion theres no right or wrong answer, just curious. Just dont understand why others keep everyday, saw someone on social media posting pics everyday so my opinion I thought that's alot of meat, and I figured what ever happened to catch and release if you don't need it, let it swim away for another day.

If they're posting on social media every day that theyre keeping for the table indicates to me they are of a lower level of awareness of quite a few issues. Current status of the fishery, contaminants, and the fact they seek validation from social media is also telling. Cant really call them out on it since its legal...but its a free country (maybe) if you wanna be one of those guys to set him straight I won't stop you.

I don't think ill ever go out my way to ever tell someone that they can or cannot keep something, but as stated above, everybody needs to be more aware to the status of the fishery.

I fish for fun and keep 1 fish a year or  none & like others said a fish that wont make it, what really bothers me is people that catch a fish and leave it on the beach laying on the sand, i feel like its just disrespectful if I'm keeping one my trip ends with that fish 

10 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

If it's legal, and it's being eaten, I see no issue with people keeping a limit of whatever every day.

If there are negative health effects, oh well.

:agree:

I personally couldn’t do it. One a season maybe. 

But I’m more impressed you know someone who catches a slot keeper everyday!

I used to keep anything legal, either eat it or freeze it. Then when I started tossing pounds of freezer burned fish I had forgotten about, I felt a fair amount of remorse that I killed an animal and didn’t use it. So nowadays I’ll only keep certain fish like fluke, sea bass, that freeze well and that I know I’ll eat. Tog, only keep what I can eat fresh. Striper, only if it’s not likely to survive. Blues, only small ones to either eat or give to some Chinese friends who I know like them. None of these freezes well and taste is not so much to my liking. 

I fish for some meat, but try to meter what I take based on my consumption rate (or sharing with friends/work). That said, I try to do an honest assessment of the fishery I'm in beyond the official regs- even though it's legal to keep a striper every day, for example, I certainly would not do that under present stock conditions. Not that it's an option for me... I'm stuck inland these days. I have my own personal regs concerning things like:

• limit of 4 trout/salmon in the freezer (=time to do a smoke)
  • age (have to research age-at-length data on particular fish/locale online, can be difficult); old fish = good genes & higher repro rate (and probably too much mercury/pcb anyway!). Example: lakers over 27" in my area can be between 10-30 years old, so I decided to set my upper limit at 26".
  • wild vs. stocked, if applicable (e.g. release wild trout = broaden gene pool, in theory)
  • No fishing during spawning unless I want eggs - stress from CnR can cause fish to reabsorb eggs

Can't take 'em for granted - just about every fish I've targeted has decreased, or changed (moved) in the last four decades.

I know we're not allowed to make moral judgements these days because the left will cry about respecting others' feelings and the right will cry about their personal freedoms, but keeping fish you can't eat INTENTIONALLY with the plan to take pictures, post them, and throw the fish away is not right. If we're going to complain about charter boats, netting, slot fish, bonus tags etc., we have to do our part by not overharvesting as well.

I think this virus and the reaction it's had throughout our food chains has opened my eyes and changed my opinion on this. If you are keeping a legal fish and using it to feed yourself, your family, or your neighbors, than more power to you. Ive seen the ebbs and flow of the fishery. Some high points, and some really low points. So I don't particually love it, but now at this stage of the game, I understand it more and more. Look at the alternative the last weeks. Lines in grocery stores, shelves empty, supply chain interruptions. This is why hunters and fisherman are so unique and much better equiped to handed such crisis than the average American. So yeh, I have no problem with it. Just dont burn the spot! Because capturing a keeper a day is not easy.

I'm never going to shame anyone that catches and eats a legal fish however with the current Striper situation being what it is,I'm not keeping any for a while.

Wow. Glad I started this topic. same guy just posted yet more stripers he got except for the fact he has 2 keepers he's posing for in a parking lot. I'm not sure if I should mention a name but he's not even from New Jersey he's from Ny fishes here and goes back to Ny. Looks like others are bashing him for his posting. I started this thread prior to seeing the 2 stripers I just seen posted today.