Gamakatsu

What does the reopening look like by you?

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mummichog said:

SE Pennsylvania.  Nothing is re-opened.  In a week or so, they may open up a walking path.  One person gets corona and it all shuts down again.  The secretary of education is considering no school in the fall.  I doubt you'll be able to sit inside a restaurant in less than a year.  

You may be right ...

... however I drove through Marsh Creek and Hibernia in the past few days and saw lots of people, very little social distancing and almost nobody wearing masks.  Maybe only the nutty people were there?  My wife and I put on our masks in preparation for getting out of the car to take a walk, but it just didn't look safe so we left there and took a nice walk around the back yard :) 

6 mins ago, JohnP said:

These are times of change

people who can adapt will ....

but you just said have "very spaced outdoor dining"

that was your original solution.

12 hours ago, Gamakatsu said:

If the virus is persistent, the recovery will be L shaped rather than the V shape that Wall St seems to be banking on.

Vampire Wall St feeds off the blood of misery. They're BANKING on keeping people out of work so they can get their parasitic share of the trillions in stimulation bucks. 

IMG_20200429_105237_01.png.2f994e95ecb3df7cfee1f9217cb62a86.png

16 mins ago, JohnP said:

like lease a vacant lot, like convince the town to allow it as a temporary solution

the spirit of the entrepreneur is strong. 

why should it be up to the town?

25 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

It will be interesting. A good portion of my time at work was spent entertaining. The Palm, Smith & Wollensky, Del Frisco all saw plenty of the corporate Amex. 

Even on Monday nights in Boston those places were packed.  I’m sure the vast majority was corporate money being spent.  I cannot imagine they will ever see that kind of volume again. 

Why do you feel they will never see that kind of volume again? We've had massive flu pandemics a few times in this country and things moved on, I can't see this being any different. I would expect for the next year or two places like those will have a down turn for a year or two, but at some point the high risk will have passed on and the rest will have developed some level of immunity. Infection numbers will go down and life will move on. Life finds a way.

16 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

It will be interesting. A good portion of my time at work was spent entertaining. The Palm, Smith & Wollensky, Del Frisco all saw plenty of the corporate Amex. 

Even on Monday nights in Boston those places were packed.  I’m sure the vast majority was corporate money being spent.  I cannot imagine they will ever see that kind of volume again. 

I'm a management consultant and our company is planning on completely remote business through spring 2021.  We're primarily in data analytics and resource optimization, human and capital.  I spent 60+ nights in hotels last year, 100k miles on airplanes, tens of thousands on rental cars and restaurants.  I'm one of a dozen people in my position, and we're a relatively small firm.  Even our sales team is setting remote appointments, and they travel more than our project teams.  The travel/dining/hospitality industry is really going to suffer from these kinds of losses. I know we are not the only company significantly scaling back our on-site appointments.

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

im kinda surprised we’ve not seen Project Veritas ‘bombshell’ footage of doctors and nurses laughing in the break room about the great scam they are pulling off. 

As for the rest of the normal citizens, not sure we are going to be back to normal any time soon. 

Will have to rethink restaurants, sporting events, schools, parades and public gatherings 

but people will find a way

example... 

if I was a restaurant I’d be asking for temporary approval to use larger sections of property this summer for very spaced outdoor dining  ... just to stay alive

~

Your first sentence in nonsensical.  What "scam" are doctors and nurses "pulling off?"

Heard a travel agent on some show yesterday, he said he had a long waiting list of people who are ready to go on cruises, when they start again.

Hard to believe, that's the last place I'd want to go.

10 mins ago, whateverbendstherod said:

I'm a management consultant and our company is planning on completely remote business through spring 2021.  We're primarily in data analytics and resource optimization, human and capital.  I spent 60+ nights in hotels last year, 100k miles on airplanes, tens of thousands on rental cars and restaurants.  I'm one of a dozen people in my position, and we're a relatively small firm.  Even our sales team is setting remote appointments, and they travel more than our project teams.  The travel/dining/hospitality industry is really going to suffer from these kinds of losses. I know we are not the only company significantly scaling back our on-site appointments.

Prime example.  The ripple effects of this lock down are staggering.  People often think of the impact on restaurants as just the small family that goes out once a week to their favorite local place, or when they are on vacation.

2 hours ago, braden said:

We better start finding a way to reopen and manage this virus at the same time- its pathetic the lack of an effective coordinated response, instead each state will go its own way with its own approach (not every state or even every county or region need to be on lock-down, targeted closings and isolations are possible). There are ways to fight this and have a functioning economy at the same time...but without leadership we're gonna have a flare up and that will set us back to where we were in March. 

so , infections and deaths spike and because of that our re-opening gets stalled, and we tank...this could have been avoided with effective leadership. 

~

Speak for your state/city/town, I'm fine with how Ron DeSantis and my local leaders handled this over-hyped we're all going to die scenario. 

I distinctly remember DeSantis being mocked Nationally, not so much now as we're learning the Cuomo's of the world have it back arsewords.

Rest assured when someone new contracts CV-19 DeSantis will be mocked again for risking lives, you'll be right there telling us he has blood on his hands I have no doubt.

So please remain sheltered in place until there is no risk, of anything, ever again.

1 hour ago, eddy said:

what if they choose to not re-open?

the non-essential business and restaurants?  their choice

the schools? I think that is the Governors' choice as it stands. 

1 hour ago, Maine Guide said:

Example?  If you are a restaurant in downtown NYC or BOSTON, or any major city for that matter, where is this extra space (larger sections of property) going to come from?

the public sidewalk for some lucky establishments.

I've never run a restaurant/bar, so I wonder at what capacity it makes sense to open up?  If you can only have 25% capacity, but you still have to pay hosts, waiters, bartenders, cooks, dishwashers and buy food and supplies.....are you just losing money?