NH resident with 2020 Maine fishing license (fresh and salt)

Rate this topic

As long as the only thing you do when you visit the state is go fishing, you shouldn't be violating any rules. If you are alone in a boat or on the shoreline, you are not a danger to anyone else. 

If you need gas or food, go to a store in NH before you enter ME.

If you are that concerned, I would give the Maine Warden Service a call and ask. 

Also just an FYI, if you fish in the Piscataqua, you need a NH saltwater license too if you are a NH resident. NH only recognizes reciprocity for resident licenses.

Good point on the reciprocity deal.  I do have salt endorsement on my Maine - but I must purchase the NH salt to be legal to fish in NH salt; I've done that for several years - so I'm good there.

So, part of the reason for purchase of the Maine license is because I annually get together with a number of my Maine based friends for a week of fishing.  Typically that's been Grand Lake Stream - but for the first time in 14 years, we're switching it up and headed to Rangeley for a week.  One of the Maine based guys got the reservation about 8 weeks ago.  The plan was for us to go to Rangeley and camp there - and I'd drive straight from NH.  I'm guessing with NH plates some eyebrows could be raised.  I will have my own separate tent (the friend has a full sized camper that can sleep all but one of us - so in effect I'm sort of quarantining.  I'll have to see if I still have my old Maine plates - maybe bolt those on just before heading into the campground!!  

The Executive Order reads:

...any person, resident or non-resident, traveling into Maine must immediately self-quarantine for 14 days or for the balance of 14 days dating from the day of arrival, except when engaging in essential

services...

Self-Quarantine is defined by Maine DHHS as:

Self-quarantine means that you need to separate yourself from others because you may have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus but are not currently symptomatic.
• Whether you are self-quarantining or self-isolating, you should:
o Stay home.
o Limit the number of visitors in your home.
o Avoid contact with others, especially those who are at high risk of severe COVID-19 illness.
o Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from other people.
o If you are sick, wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth.

I interpret "stay home" as don't leave your house.  Unless you can literally fish from your house, I don't believe the fishing would be legal.

As a non-resident Maine land owner, I have a major problem with the Executive Order.   For one, I come from a NH County which literally has no current COVID cases.  Yet, I am considered the same as someone from Boston which is a hot spot.   Second, I have literally not left my house in weeks or come into contact with anyone outside of my family.   In effect, I have quarantined for the last several weeks.   I could easily drive directly to my cottage from my home in Northern NH as it's only 125 miles. Thirdly, I could easily go to my water-front cottage, jump in my kayak and go fishing without coming anywhere near another human.  

I am hoping that Governor Mills restricts her Executive Order and considers some situations as I described.  Bottom line, life is not fair.  I'll have to get over it.  

PS - I wonder if Governor Mills and the Town of Harpswell will forgive my property taxes this year since they have asked me to stay away?    

Edited by Topside2

1 hour ago, Topside2 said:

The Executive Order reads:

...any person, resident or non-resident, traveling into Maine must immediately self-quarantine for 14 days or for the balance of 14 days dating from the day of arrival, except when engaging in essential

services...

Self-Quarantine is defined by Maine DHHS as:

Self-quarantine means that you need to separate yourself from others because you may have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus but are not currently symptomatic.
• Whether you are self-quarantining or self-isolating, you should:
o Stay home.
o Limit the number of visitors in your home.
o Avoid contact with others, especially those who are at high risk of severe COVID-19 illness.
o Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from other people.
o If you are sick, wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth.

I interpret "stay home" as don't leave your house.  Unless you can literally fish from your house, I don't believe the fishing would be legal.

As a non-resident Maine land owner, I have a major problem with the Executive Order.   For one, I come from a NH County which literally has no current COVID cases.  Yet, I am considered the same as someone from Boston which is a hot spot.   Second, I have literally not left my house in weeks or come into contact with anyone outside of my family.   In effect, I have quarantined for the last several weeks.   I could easily drive directly to my cottage from my home in Northern NH as it's only 125 miles. Thirdly, I could easily go to my water-front cottage, jump in my kayak and go fishing without coming anywhere near another human.  

I am hoping that Governor Mills restricts her Executive Order and considers some situations as I described.  Bottom line, life is not fair.  I'll have to get over it.  

PS - I wonder if Governor Mills and the Town of Harpswell will forgive my property taxes this year since they have asked me to stay away?    

I'm in NH too, but different county. I did go to my house in Maine last weekend, brought our own food, made no stops for anything. Once there stayed on my property, made a few casts and fed the blackflies, then drove back. Only contact was waving to a kayaker. I don't feel criminal for that. However it is important to avoid contact with people because the spirit of the order is even though your county has no cases, how is anyone in Maine to know that someone from Boston didn't go to the gas station or whatever while you were there. I haven't been out much either but just from how we are screening etc at work I do understand their caution. Hopefully things get better soon...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 0:39 PM, stormy monday said:

I'm in NH too, but different county. I did go to my house in Maine last weekend, brought our own food, made no stops for anything. Once there stayed on my property, made a few casts and fed the blackflies, then drove back. Only contact was waving to a kayaker. I don't feel criminal for that. However it is important to avoid contact with people because the spirit of the order is even though your county has no cases, how is anyone in Maine to know that someone from Boston didn't go to the gas station or whatever while you were there. I haven't been out much either but just from how we are screening etc at work I do understand their caution. Hopefully things get better soon...

This ^^^^ is the correct and proper response to out of state land owners. :th: It's precisely what I'd do if I owned land elsewhere (I don't).

Not the case where I live- North Conway, NH. The town has been crawling with out of state plates in virtually every "essential" business since the start of the order. It actually has accounted for more out-of-state traffic then we normally see this time of year. Trailheads that are open are full of MA, RI, CT, and even NY plates.

18 hours ago, ken r said:

This ^^^^ is the correct and proper response to out of state land owners. :th: It's precisely what I'd do if I owned land elsewhere (I don't).

Not the case where I live- North Conway, NH. The town has been crawling with out of state plates in virtually every "essential" business since the start of the order. It actually has accounted for more out-of-state traffic then we normally see this time of year. Trailheads that are open are full of MA, RI, CT, and even NY plates.

Sometimes all it takes is to tell someone not to do something, restrict them, or limit them in some way. Every time I ask my wife to cut back on non essential spending, new shoe boxes start showing up in the driveway. What NH does wrong is how we treat residents that pay an arm and nut for taxes then charge those from OOS about the same prices for seasonal services, parking, etc. NH F&G also seem to be rescuing plenty of out of state folks and the 6” trout for those paying for a fishing license is not cutting it. It’s ok for NH to live free (wait, my property taxes are far from it...) but need to collect a little for from visitors. Not to keep them out but to clean up after them and pay for the support needed to protect NH.

4 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Sometimes all it takes is to tell someone not to do something, restrict them, or limit them in some way. Every time I ask my wife to cut back on non essential spending, new shoe boxes start showing up in the driveway. What NH does wrong is how we treat residents that pay an arm and nut for taxes then charge those from OOS about the same prices for seasonal services, parking, etc. NH F&G also seem to be rescuing plenty of out of state folks and the 6” trout for those paying for a fishing license is not cutting it. It’s ok for NH to live free (wait, my property taxes are far from it...) but need to collect a little for from visitors. Not to keep them out but to clean up after them and pay for the support needed to protect NH.

This. My wife's co-worker's brother is a F&G officer. The amount of ill-prepared MA residents wearing Crocs needing rescue because they got injured hiking Mount Major is ridiculous. 

And yeah, I think trout should be a separate license add-on. I have no intention of fishing for or keeping trout or salmon most seasons. $45 is a bit steep for someone who just wants to catch LMB and crappie, which AKAIK, don't require a lot of management. Out-of-staters should be paying for their own search and rescue, not those getting registrations and licenses.

I don't think the price is too bad but adds up and compounds the need for services that have nothing to do with protecting wildlife resources. Hunting, fishing, salt water, clamming, oyster, archery, etc. I'm usually up over 200 for a license. F&G definitely do more than stock trout but the search and rescues are expensive and even though we hear folks "could be fined" it is not a law or regulation so while it can be requested, the only recourse is unknown. Could be that they are not allowed to hike in NH any more? Probably not. Maybe that they write on a chalkboard 1K times over and over again that they will be more prepared next time? maybe not that either. 

Maybe I am just an angry old grinch and feel entitled to what I am taxed on while others use it for free only to drive up my taxes from their use. Ya, that's it! :) 

This is getting ridiculous.  I have now been told by the Maine Governor, the Town of Harpswell, and - most recently - at the yacht club where our family has been members for 70 years and where I keep my boat, that because I don't live in Maine, I must self-quarantine for 14 days if I visit.  In effect, I am not welcome.  Yet, I am a non-resident property owner and tax payer in Maine.   

This is absurd.  I live in a county with only 2 active cases and am being prohibited from coming to a Maine county that has experienced 919 cases unless I quarantine for 14 days.  I have read the order and quarantine does mean stay home except for essential trips for necessities.  Technically, I can't even leave my own waterfront property to go kayaking.  Yet, citizens from York County where there have been 320 cases are free to come and go statewide.  Who is the real threat?  Where is the common sense?

I have asked your governor if I will be receiving an abatement of my property taxes, but haven't heard back yet.  In the meantime, Maine license plates are everywhere here in Coos County, NH where Mainers are hiking, biking, boating and taking advantage of tax-free shopping. I saw 3 Maine trucks at a NH boat ramp on Wednesday.

You know what I did on Wednesday?  I fished Umbagog (interstate lake) and I may have accidentally crossed into Maine in my boat and fished for several hours.  Never saw another person all day.   Bring your handcuffs and come and get me Governor Mills.  By-the-way, there aren't many fish in Umbagog Lake.  You'd be much wiser to try other lakes.

I know, I am cranky and getting crankier!   I am hoping something changes soon.
Edited by Topside2

It's clear that not all of these mandates have been thought out.  As the OP for this topic, I'm not sure what I'll do.  But, I'm thinking I'll either:

1. take my chances - and if questioned, plead ignorance.

2. try to escape on a technicality.  By that, quarantine does mean to remain at home and be isolated from others.  But, I can (and have) done that in my NH home.  I've seen nothing in the notice that says the quarantine period must be in Maine.  It surely is implied - but implied doesn't carry it in a legal sense.  

I do feel for those that are making the rules - and those attempting to enforce the rules.  Things are really ambiguous - so you could talk to two different 'officials' and get two different answers.  They have no precedent - and that can lead to confusion at best.

Clearly they are attempting to prevent spread from areas that are hot spots (i.e. MA and NY).  Ironically, while NH shows declining numbers, Maine's is shown as increasing.  

As it is, my trip got canceled as my friend's reservation was canceled.  He is a Maine resident - so it wasn't because of his residency!   So for right now, I'll be fishing in NH only.