freeportd

NH resident with 2020 Maine fishing license (fresh and salt)

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, I lived in Freeport. ME for over 30 years - and moved to NH in 2016.  The reasons are many - but it's where I am now.  I still have many friends and family still in Maine, so it's a common destination for me.  I appreciate the resistance to 'out of staters' visiting the state given the Covid-19 situation and can live with that.  But, I have a situation that is frustrating related to fishing.

I buy a yearly non-resident Maine freshwater (and saltwater) fishing license - and have since 2016.  No problem paying the higher cost as I am a non-resident - I'm cool with that.  And, as in years past, I purchased a non-resident license for 2020 (purchased in March this year).  Now I'm being told by the state that I cannot fish in the state of Maine.  So, do I get a refund for my license fees?  My preference would be for Maine to keep my fees - if I can fish.  But, don't you think it's unfair to collect my fees and then refuse to let me fish?  What am I missing?

Edited by freeportd

You may get a chance to do some ice fishing? 

I am actually in the same boat, bought my VT license back in February I did get one weekend of ice fishing in but had planned on bringing the boat to Champlain multiple times over the summer, hopefully I can still do something late summer / fall. If not hopefully the spend the fees I payed well and I well enjoy the fishing another year. 

Edited by Tlacey21walden

20 mins ago, Nbourque said:

Why can’t you fish in the state of Maine?

If he came to Maine from NH he would have to quarantine for 14 days

11 mins ago, Tlacey21walden said:

If he came to Maine from NH he would have to quarantine for 14 days

Can’t he just fish, sleep in a “tent” and the authorities can shove it.  No contact is no contact....and say he did stay at a friends house, that’s his friends choice, constitutional. I say fish away.

3 mins ago, Plugger207 said:

Can’t he just fish, sleep in a “tent” and the authorities can shove it.  No contact is no contact....and say he did stay at a friends house, that’s his friends choice, constitutional. I say fish away.

Not the way I read it

Edited by Tlacey21walden

O I agree I read it just as you.....but as most things up for interpretation.....as sovereign individuals can’t we self govern....

I live in NH, but fished in ME today. Even talked to a warden, and my car was the only one in the lot, but he didn’t say anything about it. Did I break the rules?

What rules.  There is a federal government right?  I’m not sure there’s any precedent for any of this.  Find any?

4 mins ago, drmevo said:

I live in NH, but fished in ME today. Even talked to a warden, and my car was the only one in the lot, but he didn’t say anything about it. Did I break the rules?

27 mins ago, Plugger207 said:

What rules.  There is a federal government right?  I’m not sure there’s any precedent for any of this.  Find any?

There is one of those electronic road signs a little ways after you cross the border saying the 14-day self-quarantine is mandatory. I figured that was if you plan to stay in the state for an extended period, though. I live right over her border and go there all the time. There are plenty of Maine cars coming the other way. :shrug:

1 min ago, drmevo said:

There is one of those electronic road signs a little ways after you cross the border saying the 14-day self-quarantine is mandatory. I figured that was if you plan to stay in the state for an extended period, though. I live right over her border and go there all the time. There are plenty of Maine cars coming the other way. :shrug:

Yea those signs are all up 95 and 295....yea the “guidelines” seem vague....if you social distance I can’t imagine a problem 

My question is how can anyone know whether you have self-quarantined or not? By no means am I saying not to follow the rules, but that seems difficult to prove, not only that, if people are going to get fined/arrested for this yet have a need to enter the state, it almost makes the most sense to me to have someone there to take info of incoming people when they arrived so that they can be aware of when their 14 day quarantine is finished. 

If there’s no way to have record or proof, it seems almost like a way for police to just arbitrarily write $1,000 tickets whenever they like...

10 mins ago, Ftyer said:

My question is how can anyone know whether you have self-quarantined or not? By no means am I saying not to follow the rules, but that seems difficult to prove, not only that, if people are going to get fined/arrested for this yet have a need to enter the state, it almost makes the most sense to me to have someone there to take info of incoming people when they arrived so that they can be aware of when their 14 day quarantine is finished. 

If there’s no way to have record or proof, it seems almost like a way for police to just arbitrarily write $1,000 tickets whenever they like...

It's a really confusing rule. I read some articles last night that were supposed to clarify it but didn't. I think it's more a scare tactic than anything, because you're right, how could they possibly enforce it without stationing police at the borders.

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

It's a really confusing rule. I read some articles last night that were supposed to clarify it but didn't. I think it's more a scare tactic than anything, because you're right, how could they possibly enforce it without stationing police at the borders.

Agree. The cops have a lot of higher priority things to do than bird dog out of state license plates. From what I've seen of this in other states that have similar orders, it's more bark than bite. 

Edited by bdowning

24 mins ago, drmevo said:

I also tried to read more and understand it myself, and  I’m still relatively confused about the whole thing. I get the quarantine rule, but I do not get how it can be so arbitrarily enforced.

The only thing that I can think of as “proof” would be to have a a receipt or bank statement from a Maine business with a date showing that you made a purchase there prior to 14 days ago? It seems silly but what else could even be done to show that you have? Maybe photographic evidence of you in the state with a GPS location 14 days prior to when you might have a run in with an officer?

Not only that, but in this ever-so-confusing law, these visitors are allowed to engage in “essential” activities such as going to a grocery store. Basic reason should prevail that you will come into contact with far more resident humans doing that than you would by going fishing...

Another thing,  what is defined as “essential work” that permits you to avoid the 14 day rule? Say I’m a freelance journalist or someone working on writing a book, say that that book is about the Maine coast, now that I’m writing this book and am expecting it to be produced and contribute to my livelihood, is that an essential job? 

Edited by Ftyer