Ftyer

Lightening Grizzly Hackle?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Anyone ever lighten a grizzly feather? I have a couple saddles, and I never really use them as few baitfish have such prominent and stark barring like that. However, I love those chickens that sport a cream color with almost a light dun barring that’s hardly noticeable. 

Anyone have any idea if this is doable on your own? George Harvey has info about bleaching materials but I don’t know how well it would work for something that naturally carries such a dark shade. Any input is appreciated.

Experimentation.Timing the bath,concentration of the bleach,temp of the mix.Take notes and experiment.The bleach will strip the color and weaken the quill and fibers.

44 mins ago, theshadow said:

Experimentation.Timing the bath,concentration of the bleach,temp of the mix.Take notes and experiment.The bleach will strip the color and weaken the quill and fibers.

Ah, now that’s interesting. I didn’t know bleach would work on the barring, that’s great to know. 

I’ll  experiment with some of the less desirable small feathers at the bottom of the cape. Thank you. 

21 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Ah, now that’s interesting. I didn’t know bleach would work on the barring, that’s great to know. 

I’ll  experiment with some of the less desirable small feathers at the bottom of the cape. Thank you. 

Look up A.K Bests book Dying and Bleaching.Even googling you original question will produce lots of hints and instructions.I've been using his book for years and all works fine.

2 mins ago, theshadow said:

Look up A.K Bests book Dying and Bleaching.Even googling you original question will produce lots of hints and instructions.I've been using his book for years and all works fine.

I’ve been curious about that book but haven’t gotten it yet, it seems like I should get it for sure. 

I have a great time dying Deertails and feathers but haven’t tried the reverse process. I’m pretty excited to...hopefully it’s not too disastrous.